Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

How do I help 'box to stay in one piece

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2007, 02:03 PM
dezmondo
Scooby Regular

Location: At last, I've passed the V power gates and am in Scooby Heaven!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I help 'box to stay in one piece

I am picking my Scooby up from API on Saturday, after a full engine rebuild to the standard spec with a few upgrades (TD05, Walbro 255lph, Sports cat, decat center and TSL grp N back box, Hybrid GT FMIC, ported headers, lightened flywheel and exedy clutch). After the mind numbing 1500mile running in period I am having and Ecutek remap to release, I hope, Approx 320bhp and 300lbft torque .

The car has done 67k miles and is in otherwise fine fettle but I am nervous that the extra power is gonna kill the gearbox in a few weeks. Not only can I not afford a new box yet, I don't want to have to tell the missus the car is knacked again (********* don't make good earrings in my book!!! ).

I understand from doing a few searches that a standard box in good nick can handle 350bhp/350lbft but what can I do to preserve my box:

1) Improved lubricants/gearbox additives?
2) Driving style changes?

All advice greatly received!!!
Old 07 May 2007, 04:49 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

do not under ANY circumstances drive the car....

seriously though, what year is the car? if its a later classic onwards there will be no issue giving it merry hell. 300lbft isnt that much for a box in those cars. Overfill the gearbox oil a touch (not too much) and just make sure the car is IN GEAR before you bring the clutch up. No worries
Old 07 May 2007, 05:47 PM
dezmondo
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the relpy, I might take the first bit of advice and build plinth to put the car on the the garden .

However......the car is a MY99 classic so by the sound of things my license or bottle will go before the 'box .

Is there a particular oil that people recommend?

IIRC Castrol Syntrax Universal SAE 75W/90 gear oil is a favourite on here?

I read a thread earlier that mentioned Redline Heavy Shockproof, I googled it and came up with :

"Redline Heavy Shockproof oil is a fully synthetic gear oil containing a suspension of microscopic particles as extreme pressure agents making this fluid suitable for high power / high load applications with minimal friction losses.
The fluid is super lightweight and shockproof but has a huge 75W250 EP rating whilst retaining the viscosity of a 75W90 mineral oil, transferring enormous power with very low frictional losses with gear tooth protection and an unrivalled heat transfer capability".

To me it reads as if it might put more stress on my transmission by being less forgiving than another lubricants, any one else used it?
Old 07 May 2007, 05:51 PM
dezmondo
Scooby Regular

Further googling reveals:
"Redline heavy shockproof is a unique lubricant containing a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent--unique solid dispersion which cushions gear teeth to help prevent tooth breakage and allows the use of lower viscosities. Recommended for heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions, Off Road racing and problem gearboxes. The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throwoff and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90."

I like the sound of that!
Old 07 May 2007, 06:10 PM
New_scooby_04

Two things will determine the life of your gearbox (I'd say you'll be getting more than 300lbs ft with a TD05)

1) Mapping: if the power is fed in progressively, it's less of a shock on the transmission.
2) Driving style (before and after the upgrade): 5k rpm launches, not good! Being smooth with the clutch, good!!

Ns04
Old 07 May 2007, 06:33 PM
dezmondo
Scooby Regular

The mapper will be Pat at API, I assume he will map it progressively, especially as this will protect the rebuilt engine too!

I am not planning to drag the car (although the Barry boys in my home town are starting to pack some serious machinery(a GTiR, Evo3 and a 1997 STi - all with neons etc. to confirm Bazza status) so the odd traffic light grand prix might be in order (I may be 31 but I still get a buzz - sad isn't it? ).

I did perfect the rolling granny start before the engine went so will continue with this (I also love the fact that Barry and his mates think they have you, then you sail past (Christ, I am that sad, didn't believe the missus when she said I was... ).

ND04 - I read with great interest the report you gave when you took your car from API and had it mapped - partly inspired my mods and I hope to get a similar product to yours when I get mine back, what kind of torque do you think I will have then (full spec is in "view my Scooby")?

Cheers, deZ
Old 07 May 2007, 06:36 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

you can always request that pat doesnt map it too agressively if needs be...you dont have to ring every last ouce of power all the time

I prefer Lightweight shockproof in mine, was perfect even under hard track use and my 5 speeder never missed a beat all the way up to 400lbft.
Old 07 May 2007, 10:28 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Dezmundo, i,m sure David will advise you on this? i,ve just had mine done there the API 330, mine is the stronger box mind you version6 RA, Have a word with them i,m sure they`ll advis you on what`s needed mate.....

Saw you car there by the way...
Old 07 May 2007, 11:55 PM
dezmondo
Scooby Regular

Cheers Stoffi! (just gettin' you back for spelling my nick interestingly!!)

Was deffo gonna ask David for advice!

I think I spotted yours there too when I was over there dropping of the TD05 and boost solenoid a while ago, not broken it Yet?

Hopefully, when I return it to API in 1500 miles time it will have anthracite alloys, an STi 5/6 splitter and an E46 rear spoiler, oh and the Hybrid FMIC fitted!

Getting more exciteder by the day!!
Old 08 May 2007, 03:51 AM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

No mate not broken it ( TOUCH WOOD) I,m over the moon with it mate, it flys now and it,s got some nice pops aswell i,ve fitted my new gunmetal Rota wheels aswell, it,s coming along nicely......
Old 08 May 2007, 07:23 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will be fine with the trans and a TD05.

Clean changes (I don't mean slow) and it will be fine to 400lbft ish.
I've run 370 lbft through my Sti v3 with 140 drag starts under it and it is still perfect (V3 trans)
Now with a V5 Type R trans but with slicks on each corner so huge grip.
All's ok.

A good clutch is a must mind.

Graham.
Old 08 May 2007, 07:37 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by dezmondo

ND04 - I read with great interest the report you gave when you took your car from API and had it mapped - partly inspired my mods and I hope to get a similar product to yours when I get mine back, what kind of torque do you think I will have then (full spec is in "view my Scooby")?

Cheers, deZ
I would expect that you'd be looking at 330ish bhp and similar torque mate. The FMIC will help greatly.

Ns04
Old 08 May 2007, 10:16 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Hi dean.

As you know my car is a simaler to yours but with a VF28, Had the turbo, remap, clutch and lightened flywheel fitted. My box let go after 3 weeks!!!!!

I put this down to the car having 90K on it. I got on a dual carrageway, put my foot down in 3rd, car got to about 4.5RPM and then let go. Resulting in 6 teeth being removed from the cog.

I've had a replacement box off David and this has been fine for the last 18 months. But I treat 3rd with a litle bit more respect now, most of the time (Unless out with the other welsh boys) I only use part throttle in 3rd.
Old 08 May 2007, 01:45 PM
dezmondo
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies chaps.

Danny, it was you who got me thinking about nacked gearboxes in the first place!!

Getting an uprated execy clutch and one of API's 8kg flywheels with the rebuild so that wont cause an issue, will fill the box with either syntrax or the redline stuff, be kind to third and keep my fingers crossed.

(wait for the "I've mashed my tranny thread in 3 weeks"!!!)