Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Heatshields

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2001, 11:09 AM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alasdair

I had the same problem with my WRX MY96. 2 years ago I removed the lower heatshield. It is secured by 3 bolts and there is no need to remove the exhaust. The only precaution I have taken is to wrap the wiring loom in front of the exhaust in aluminium cooking foil. I have not had any problem since.

[Edited by CharlesW - 12/7/2001 11:11:08 AM]
Old 06 December 2001, 08:07 PM
toby69
Scooby Regular

I've been having problems with the heatshield rattling for some time now. Its been welded a few times but that only lasts a few weeks/monthes before it startes rattling again. I have decided its time to get this sorted out once and for all. I've been thinking I'm going to have to remove it. Can i take it off without removing the exhaust? Or is there any other way to cure this annoying rattle?
The heatshield in question is the lower front drivers side one.

Alasdair
Old 07 December 2001, 10:52 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i'm pretty sure you can but remember with no heatshield it does leave the oil filter open to the full heat of the exhaust which if you talk to other members might aid in the no.3 bigend bearing failure. and if you have the undertray i have seen the sound deadening scorched due to the heat.
Old 07 December 2001, 08:37 PM
toby69
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.
I'm not sure what I'll do now. I don't like the sound for it aiding No3 failure!! I'm always a bit worried about that one!. If I do go ahead and remove it I might try some exhaust wrap to try and keep the heat retained in the exhaust.

Thanks

Alasdair
Old 08 December 2001, 06:35 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

i spent about three hours trying to get the heatshields off my my01, and ended up cutting it away (and some of my hand too).
however, scoobysport downpipe has made it all worth it.
does anyone have experience of removing the heatshields on an 01? is it wise to replace with something similar (i have a sheet metal fabrication company) or will it be ok without?
Old 09 December 2001, 11:10 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had my scoobysport d/p fitted the folks doing the fitting left the heat shields off. I queried this but they said it was OK. Subsequently everybody else I spoke to (dealers, tuners, etc) have said they have to go back on.
I delayed having them trimmed and refitted: this caused, I (and my dealer) believe, the steering joint that runs very close to the 'pipe to get very hot and burn out all the grease (or whatever) in it. This led to terribly squeaky steering which has disappeared since the joint was relubed and the shields refitted.

The shields are easily trimmed and refitted although the downpipe will probably have to come off again to get the shields on (= new turbo gasket).

PS. Thanks to Trouser et al at TSL who sent me a trimmed off section of shield I could use as a template.
Old 10 December 2001, 10:54 AM
b5m
Scooby Regular

Question

Is this the heatshield around the turbo with the dont touch hand on it or is there another one? The reason I ask is that I got a full Scoobysport with the car and there doesnt appear to be a heatshield by the downpipe. It simply has downpipe bolted to turbo and nothing else. Anyone got some pictures?
Old 10 December 2001, 11:14 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

I've been running my UK99 without the "dont tounch" heatshield for around 12 months without a problem. The people who fitted it, didn't think that it would be a problem, and when it has been serviced, the dealer hasn't said anything other than "it's not there!"

Also, I seem to remember reading a post a long time ago, when a retailer (can't remember who though!) said that they didn't consider it a worry, as there wasn't as much heat build up, as the cat was no longer there.

Matt
Old 10 December 2001, 11:18 AM
b5m
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Mine looks something like this:

and I think you modify it like this (oben is top in German):

PS: Images ripped from some German site.