Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Leaking Manifold - Curing it

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2003, 01:35 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well hopefully

After about 4 months of listening to the manifold leaking, enough was enough. I thought it was leaking in just one place, where the connector joins the drivers side headers, it wasnt, it was leaking there and more so at the bottom of the up pipe.

Some pics, still learning with camera, comments will follow later as i have to go out.

Hope its useful.

Looking from drivers side accross front of engine.

Passenger side header where it connects to the head. Still has the heatshield on here.

Minus the heatshield, you can see 2 of the 3 nuts that connect it to the head.

From further away, also showing where it connects to the centre pipe which links the 2 headers together.

Turbo side of headers with heatshield removed. You can see the oil filter (Blue) here as well.

Where the fun started. Turbo side header removed, but as you can see 1 sheared bolt from where it joins the connecting pipe to the othere sides headers. You may also see at the bottom of the heatshield there is a nut missing. These are welded to the heatsield, but the weld sheared on the first turn, so consequently had to cut(rive) the shield off so i could remove the lower heat shield. I then welded the nut back onto the heatshield ready for reassembly.

This is the lower part of the heatshield that goes around the turbo side headers. As you can see there has been a major leak, hence the black soot.

The header connecting pipe off the car, more sheared bolts here.

Turbo side head with header removed, and you can just see the bottom of the up pipe to the turbo. Notice all the soot from where the leak was

Finally the header connecting pipe wher it joins the passenger side header. I ported this bit in the line of the gas flow, as i forgot to do it when we did them 4 months ago

Would have done more pictures but by now had lost all patience with the damn thing

Steven

[Edited by P20SPD - 2/25/2003 8:33:44 AM]
Old 24 February 2003, 07:06 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 25 February 2003, 08:43 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Wink

I would have done a lot more photos, had i not come accross the problems i encountered.

I have now decided for definate, that i hate the cast alloy pipe that is part of the APS FMIC kit, which runs between the chassis leg and the head on the passenger side.

I have taken it on and off a few times now, but that was a bitch to say the least. Fecking hate it i do

Then because i was now losing my patience, i lifted the engine off its mounting too far so the mounting bolts would not drop back into the slots when i tried lowering it, great. Nothing a piece of 4 x 2 and a lump hammer can not cure though.

I also changed the discs on my AP's.

Due to me faffing about so much and testing for leaks, the car was nearly out of fuel when i finished, it had enough to get me 30 miles to the nearest shell, but when i finished it did not, so had top put BP normal unleaded in with octane booster.

Due to the fuel issue i have not been able to truly boot it yet, as it dets like hell according to the knocklink.

However, the noise inside the cabin is now greatly reduced, almost too quite in fact, best take the bung out of the hiper.

Spool up feels considerably sharper, even with the poor fuel IMO.

So I will have to wait and see what the difference is when i fill up with optimax.

Steven
Old 25 February 2003, 09:48 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

Steven,

if you ported the headers then the car will be quieter anyway

Shouldn't this be in projects?

Rannoch
Old 25 February 2003, 11:24 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Wink

Ported the headers when we changed the turbo etc before Well Lane last October, just never ported the connecting pipe.

The manifold has been leaking since then, seemed to have cured it for now though.

Not really a major project, just a how to with pics, but then i dont think i have described how to do it at all, no time really.

Steven

PS will you make your mind up as to who you are posting as