Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

2002 WRX clutch problems, advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2007, 12:59 PM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 WRX clutch problems, advice please...

Hi guys,

Could really do with some advise please,

My 2002 WRX gearbox went POP last Janurary, I got a P1 box and rear diff with new "uprated" clutch to replace it.

The car was brought from new and covered 55k miles, 3 track days and 9 x 1/4 mile runs on the standard clutch and gearbox.

The uprated clutch was supossed to be good for 350bhp. My car only has a Tek 3 and decat (approx 275bhp) so is well within the limits of the clutch.

I haven't taken it on any more track days or 1/4 miles, it has had a really easy life, as I've been saving for my flat so been keeping off the throttle and only done 13k miles.

When it's cold, all is fine, but as soon as it starts to warm up it judders really badly whenever I pull away (never used to) and I have real trouble getting it in gear, especially 1st when stationary. The biting point has also been getting higher the last few months (only done 3k miles since August!!).

I need a new clutch but am really optomistic in paying out for another uprated clutch if I'm going to get the same problems (worried I'll get another cr4p item!). Should I get a standard clutch or risk it and get an uprated one such as Excedy??

I haven't got the money to keep spending out on clutches every year and am really apprehensive about getting another infererior item!

Some of my friends say that their standard clutches are really good and that uprated ones don't last as long, but then others rave about the Excedy's.

Any comments?? Desperate for some suggestions

Thanks

Ross
Old 01 February 2007, 01:13 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Maybe you're being too kind to it. Try a couple of lively starts to clean the plate up a bit.
Old 01 February 2007, 01:25 PM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply.......

a few people have said that but i've never done it before, if I floor it from a standstill I usually let it bite first and then it just smells of clutch!! Thing is, I don't want to try a really aggresive launch if it finishes the clutch off and leaves me stranded!

I've just lost all my confidence in the clutch and it's making me loose interest in the car at the moment due to it being such a complete **** to drive.

Any other comments guys??