Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

anyne got any idea what this could be???

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2006, 05:03 PM
nickmears
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyne got any idea what this could be???

hi, recently had a n/s/r driveshaft changed on my scooby, now i have got hardly any power at all in 1st and 2nd .3rd not as bad, almost feels like im not getting drive to all 4 wheels, is this possible??? or am i getting myself bang at it and it just the clutch slipping? , and when i turn left slowley i get a really harsh clonking coming from the back of the car and sometimes when i reverse i get it, is that anything to do with the rear diff?, or a poorly fitted driveshaft maybe??? any help on this would be much appreciated, thanks

Last edited by nickmears; 22 November 2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 22 November 2006, 04:09 PM
nickmears
Scooby Newbie

jacked rear passenger side of car up today (side i had driveshaft done on) to see if i could turn wheel with it in gear, and it did have quite a bit of movement forwards and backwards on the wheel, like some serious backlash on the gearing in the rear diff maybe? and have noticed that the n/s/r driveshaft sticks out of the diff moe than the other side, is ths normal??? if it not im just wondering wether they may have sold me the wrong size d/shaft and it has ****ed up the rear diff???? should a wheel have any movement in it if its in gear and 3 other wheels are on the ground?? im getting it looked at tomorrow anyway so im hoping they can diagnose it but just wondering if it too bad to drive?
Old 24 November 2006, 03:09 PM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

Any news?

The diff backlash sounds normal, I've got quite a bit on mine too, front and back (MY00, 44K miles, never raced etc).
As far as I can remember (haven't inspected the rear, but have on the front recently) the driveshafts should protrude equal lengths from the diff housing. If the one you had fitted is too long, it will compress the CV joints endways and the wheel may well have trouble turning- but only when you take the car off the jack, it'll probably feel ok when up. Try jacking the car from under the rear shock near the wheel so you are effectively lifting the car by the suspension, not the chassis. Then try turning the wheel.
I've heard there are different lengths of CV joints available, so it's possible your fitters have used the wrong one...

Si
Old 24 November 2006, 05:09 PM
SCOOBY A
Scooby Newbie

The shaft isnt in the diff propperly,

had this before, due to the lsd in the rear diff you wil get drive because the power transfers to the wheel with most grip on the road.

as soon as you give it the beans will loose drive as power getting lost through rear diff.

feels like the clutch is slipping.

take it back an get the muppets to do the job propperly!!

good luck, Tom.