Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Squeeking noise from OSF wheek

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2006, 12:48 PM
James S
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeking noise from OSF wheek

I am experiencing a strange squeeking noise from my OSF wheel. I don't think it is a wheel baring. I have had the car jacked up and no movement on the wheel.

I sqeeking noise stopped last weekend, but unfortunatley it has re-appered.

Its in for a service next week and hopefully it will get resolved.
Old 22 July 2006, 03:24 PM
Rich_B
Scooby Regular

When I had a front wheel bearing failure it too made a squeaking noise, unlike any previous failing bearings. If it is this, I advise getting it fixed soon otherwise the drive flange may get damaged, which will greatly increases the cost of the repair.
Old 22 July 2006, 10:22 PM
James S
Scooby Regular

Thank for the advice.

I have it booked in for service next week and also to have the sqeeking noise looked at.

I wont be driving it until it has been fixed
Old 23 July 2006, 12:09 AM
bladeboy2041
Scooby Newbie

James,

Can you get back to me with your findings on this? Email is: Michael.Taylor2@btinternet.com

I have a JDM Sti V7 and although it has just been in for a major service I too have a squeak/squeel from the front nearside wheel.

The strange thing is it's an intermitent problem. One minute it's there, the next minute it's gone - can't work it out at all. It's also at it's worst when on full steering lock at low speed.

As luck would have when the dealer did the post-service road-test the noise wasn't evident and I got the 'nothing obvious' reply from the tech.

If the noise is likely to be the impending doom of a wheel bearing I really need to know.

Cheers,

Mike Taylor
Old 23 July 2006, 10:40 AM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

right... I had the exact same symptoms and it was a wheel bearing... There was an intermittent squeeking coming from the NSF wheel. Sounded sort of like a creaking could only really hear it at slow speeds... My local subaru expert said was a wheel bearing straight away although there was NO play in the wheel or vibration. COu8ld be one of two things, one expensive or one cheap.. the cheap one.. sometimes the grease in the bearing can go really funny and the bearing seals start to squeek.. the expensive one like mine.. the hub is turning in the bearing and requires new bearing and hub... either way it will be a wheel bearing and without stripping you won't be able to tell what it is...

I also had a rear bearing failure that gave no indication that it was failing apart from the wheel suddenly started to move and took the ABS sensor out...

both were nearside.. these are very suseptable to going as they do all the gutter hopping so ensure that you get all of them checked and not just for movement.. make sure they put the car up on post ramps and run it so they can feel for vibration in the struts while the wheel is turning... as you can see above there is no movemebnt to be found on scoobs with a wheel bearing gone in some cases!!!
Old 23 July 2006, 01:25 PM
James S
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fizz
right... I had the exact same symptoms and it was a wheel bearing... There was an intermittent squeeking coming from the NSF wheel. Sounded sort of like a creaking could only really hear it at slow speeds... My local subaru expert said was a wheel bearing straight away although there was NO play in the wheel or vibration. COu8ld be one of two things, one expensive or one cheap.. the cheap one.. sometimes the grease in the bearing can go really funny and the bearing seals start to squeek.. the expensive one like mine.. the hub is turning in the bearing and requires new bearing and hub... either way it will be a wheel bearing and without stripping you won't be able to tell what it is...

I also had a rear bearing failure that gave no indication that it was failing apart from the wheel suddenly started to move and took the ABS sensor out...

both were nearside.. these are very suseptable to going as they do all the gutter hopping so ensure that you get all of them checked and not just for movement.. make sure they put the car up on post ramps and run it so they can feel for vibration in the struts while the wheel is turning... as you can see above there is no movemebnt to be found on scoobs with a wheel bearing gone in some cases!!!

Well I hope my hub hasn't gone?

I'm not going to drive car until it has been checked out. It's booked in next week for service to be carried out. So hopefully it will be resolved.

keep you all informed with the outcome.

James
Old 03 August 2006, 02:40 PM
James S
Scooby Regular

It turned out to be a wheel bearing