Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Lightened pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2006, 09:14 PM
burtysbugeye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightened pulleys

Is it really worth buying lightened pulleys, its just ive read a few things about them giving you an extra 7-15bhp because they are lighter they turn more, or somthing like that . So would it really be worth doing as i was thinking of buying some. Also How easy is it to change the fuel pump over to a walbro 255, im guessing the fuel pump is at the backend just under the bumper, sorry for all the questions just not to clued up on the technical side. Oh its a bugeye by the way if that makes any diffrence.
Old 22 May 2006, 09:17 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

do you have to remap if you change the fuel pump?

sorry to hijack your thread but im interested in doing what you are asking about
Old 22 May 2006, 09:19 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

the pulleys are like putting a light flywheel on the car and as for the fuel pump, easy to do mate just under the back seat in the tanks (classic) i take it a bugeye is the same?
Old 22 May 2006, 09:31 PM
burtysbugeye
Scooby Regular

Pete i dont think you do need to remap but im not sure, i was wanting to put one on, as eventually it will be getting mapped.
Old 22 May 2006, 09:40 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

cheers mate
Old 22 May 2006, 10:32 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

to get to the fuel pump, you need to take out the carpet from the boot and it is under the panel in the floor on the drivers side . It does make access to the screws a bit easier by taking out the back seat. Apply a thin smear of gasket sealant to the gasket between the tank and fuel pump mounting plate, as when my upgrade was done my car was smelling of fuel during the summer as the gasket was not damaged, but not seating true. I used hermetite red when I sealed mine. hope this helps Steve
Old 22 May 2006, 10:37 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i would avoid underdrive pulleys tbh

sometimes when pulling up to a junction in my car, if there is load on the alternator etc etc

the power steering can feel a bit crappy and gay as the revs drop down past normal idle speeds, i believe this is because everything is being underdriven.

PITA tbh

Trending Topics

Old 23 May 2006, 08:09 PM
wrxtreme96
Scooby Regular

I bought a set of pulleys from RCM, these are the same size as the standard ones so the same belts fit and of course rotation stays the same..main difference being they are MUCH lighter...

Issue for me was the crankshaft pulley broke free so fitting a lighter set made sense as apposed to buying another heavy standard set/pulley ...HOWEVER

They look great BUT i'm not convinced there is any noticeable difference in power....

BLING ..yep...BHP....????

Old 23 May 2006, 09:43 PM
stevepulleyman
Scooby Regular

Hi, i actually produce and sell at an affordable price lightened pulleys for scoobies, and scoobies only, with being an enthuiast myself. I have produced a affordable way to gain a few extra bhp, and at the same time gain nice engine bay looks.
My pulleys are of the highest standard, and i do a full 3 piece kit for the classic shape, Crank, Alt, And Power steering.
I do a 2 piece kit for bugeye and new age.(crank and alt only )
The crank is smaller than standard, so slightly smaller belts are required (alt and aircon belt) which i can supply aswell.
From extensive testing, and from feedback from other people who have my pulleys on their cars, there are no complaints whatsoever of any difference in car working conditions due to the crank being smaller than normal (underdriven.) I also have these pulleys on my own car and i can safely say they would'nt be on if they were'nt right for the job.
The pulleys are lighter than standard and this results in less stress on the crank etc, and less weight to turn, less work for the engine, which results in quicker throttle response and quicker acceleration, 7-11 bhp gains are expected depending which model you drive and which other mods you have on your car.
What i can offer to my fellow scooby owners is an extremely quality bit of kit, at an affordable price. ( i even offer free fitting if you live local, or are prepared to travel to me) this is to keep the costs down even more.
I am also currently testing lightweight Cam pulleys, so watch this space
Any further info required, email me and i can send you pics of pulleys on and off car, or have a look at pics in previous questions in the general section of scoobynet.

Last edited by stevepulleyman; 23 May 2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 23 May 2006, 09:49 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I bought one of fleabay sometime ago, not sure why but didnt realise you needed whole set.

May wait till cam belt change then get them changed, how much does a set and belt work out to , for bug WRX
Old 23 May 2006, 10:00 PM
stevepulleyman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
I bought one of fleabay sometime ago, not sure why but didnt realise you needed whole set.

May wait till cam belt change then get them changed, how much does a set and belt work out to , for bug WRX
You don't need to buy all 2 or 3 depending what model you have, but it compliments the engine bay and extra bhp with a set. Which pulley did you get, crank ? alt ? and if its the crank pulley,is it smaller than standard or same size. You don't need to touch the cam belt when changing the crank alt or p/st pulleys. Only Cambelt needs to be changed when swapping over to lightened CAM pulleys x4. or just getting it changed because its due.
Hope this info helps.
Old 23 May 2006, 10:06 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

How much would a blue set be?

I like the pic above
Old 23 May 2006, 10:12 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run lightweight underdriven pulleys on three of my own vehicles and fitted numerous other sets. I have never experienced any problem from the underdriven pulleys personally and I have not heard of actual problems from anybody that I have fitted them for.
I work on the basis that many little savings will add up to something worthwhile but I cannot say I have ever noticed any performance difference whatsoever and I very much doubt there will be an appreciable, measurable difference in power output but they are pretty, save two and a half kilos, must reduce torsional stress on the crank under accelleration and I am sure I will fit them on other cars I may own in the future.
Old 23 May 2006, 10:16 PM
stevepulleyman
Scooby Regular

How much would a blue set be?

I like the pic above
i only supply in the polished aluminium silver.
bugeye/new age kit =x2 pulleys crank, and alt=£55
(alt belt £15, aircon belt£10)

classic shape kit x3 pulleys , crank, alt, p/steeering.=£150 including free belts.

Any kits above are delivered royal mail special delivery which is guaranteed next day and is covered by insurance. £9.95p.

if you req pics, send me your email address and i'll gladly send you some, cheers.

Last edited by stevepulleyman; 23 May 2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 23 May 2006, 11:26 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

thats where mine came from

when the thing is running it looks like something is slightly out of "true"

looks just like this one tbh

Last edited by StickyMicky; 23 May 2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 24 May 2006, 12:05 AM
stevepulleyman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky

My pulleys are all spun up for trueness before they are available for people, i would'nt alow them to be available if not.
I've had Zero complaints, only good feeback on the product i offer.
I personally think there a good addition to a scooby.

Last edited by stevepulleyman; 24 May 2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 24 May 2006, 06:43 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky

thats the kiddy, mine has stayed in a box for the last few months though
Old 24 May 2006, 08:25 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wont get any extra BHP! Its like saying if I fit lighter wheels I'll gain more power?? What you are infact doing is making it easier for the crank to accelerate.. Not by much as were talking about such a small radial size, the pulley isn't much bigger than the crankshaft weights so there is hardly any extra inertia generated by it.

To be honest your better off spending your money on a lightened flywheel that has much more effect.
Old 24 May 2006, 08:35 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Already have light flywheel, thought these may compliment it though.

And those blue ones do look nice
Old 24 May 2006, 09:27 AM
dogpole
Scooby Regular

Here's my set from the clinic:

I mapped mine on, but i'm running a motec M800, so mapping fee's don't apply. i also mapped on my 6.8kg flywheel when that was fitted.

dp
Old 29 May 2006, 05:44 PM
wrxtreme96
Scooby Regular

And those blue ones do look nice
hheheee..cheers.. certainly better than the rusty ones that were fitted !!!
I would of course agree that all weight loss will certainly contribute towards greater power...
Perhaps we should all diet, remove spare wheel, radio, cd units... wife and passengers.....it just goes on until of course the car is stripped out !!
In principle these pulleys are LIGHTER so therefore it makes sense to assume that less strain is placed on the engine and that can't be a bad thing..however penny for penny for bhp gains my set at £210 is a costly upgrade for no real appreciable gains in performance...?
Old 04 June 2006, 06:44 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

got the GFB kit on mine.(P1) looks good. noticed slightly more knocklink activity after fitting. My only concern is that the original crank pully was heavier to balance the flywheel weight on the crank. I will probably have a lighter flywheel when the need for a new clutch arises this should then balance the weights better.
ken