Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

5th Gear Crunch/Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2006, 09:24 PM
monogfx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th Gear Crunch/Oil Level

My first post wow (be gentle). My03 WRX with the dreaded 4 - 5 gear change crunch. Was serviced by dealer 4k miles ago and ever since this last service the car has this problem when using a heavy right foot. Just noticed gearbox oil level well over max mark - will drain and replace oil to correct level Castrol Syntrax?. Could this high oil level cause the crunch?
Thanx Tim
Old 02 May 2006, 09:21 PM
sideways scooby
Scooby Regular

i have a similar problem, when i first got the car it had fifth gear crunch but after a while it dissapeared, i have just had a new clutch fitted so had gearbox oil replaced with castrol synthrax and the fifth gear crunch has returned, as you say it only happens when excellerating hard
Old 31 July 2006, 01:30 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Question

Did you guys find any solution to this as I also have the 4th - 5th gear change crunch when pushing hard - I use Silkolene fully synth 75w90 (which I used in my previous 5 speed box without problem).
Old 31 July 2006, 05:25 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure the car is absolutely level when checking the gearbox oil, it's very sensitive to this. Checking on a slight slope will give an exaggerated false reading.
JohnD
Old 01 August 2006, 04:06 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Oil levels fine on my motor, if anything, has too much oil - but crunches when booting at normal oil level or above.

I found the 5 speed was better with a little extra oil in.

Anyone got to the bottom of this 5th gear crunch?
Old 25 February 2007, 06:27 PM
scooby chris
Scooby Newbie

Default crunch

my cars the same try just pushing it in too 4 gear and 5 gear with a bit more arm power when changeing as i found if your to soft with it crunch some times
Old 25 February 2007, 07:36 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

4th-5th crunch wont change with your oil level ended up taking my classic to paul at zen-were found to be 5th gear hub/selector fork and bulk ring worn, cant give ya an individual price for repair coz i had an exedy clutch and lightweight flywheel fitted at the same time, parts alone werent cheap though for the box at about £360+vat though had ran mine a while with the crunch untill it got to the point where above 2000 revs you couldnt select 5th it just wouldnt have it were just like trying to change gear without the clutch then there were the selector shaft as as a result of being a bitch to get in gear ended up bein forced a bit sometimes needed another one as once in 5th would drop out.My advice to anyone is get it sorted as soon as it starts crunching.

Trending Topics

Old 26 February 2007, 11:41 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a little known problem (not talked about much here) according to my local friendly technician where the nut on the end of the shaft where 5th sits can come very slightly undone.... it can be checked and tighted without gearbox removal.. he has done several bugeyes and blob eyes like this and once re-torqued has cured the problem... however changing to a different oil can cure this problem so that would be first port of call... then perhaps getting someone who knows to drive and find out what it is...