Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Woodruff key replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2006, 08:38 AM
wrxtreme96
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woodruff key replacement

Thanks for looking any advice gladly appreciated.

Following the falling off of the crankshaft pulley, a little investigation to the cause was needed.

I have now removed cambelt covers and purchased a set of RCM lightened pulleys with new replacement Woodruff key.....

Yep you now what I am going to ask...
How the hec do ya get the old key out....?

have done a few searches and it appears that I will have to remove the sprocket and belt.........

How do I remove the belt..? Sprocket....?

Piccy shows the centre pulley with the woodruf key..., this is the pulley that will need to be removed....? I'm presuming the half moon wodruff key sits underneath this pulley and that's why the key can't just be pulled out...?

Pulleys either side are presumably the tensioners to loosen/remove the belt..How are these removed..

Love it when a small job becomes a BIG un !!!
Old 12 April 2006, 11:09 AM
wrxtreme96
Scooby Regular

Default stage 2

views but no replies so got started

Deep breath....
marked up pulleys to keep ignition timing, then removed left side pulley..belt came loose allowing east access to centre pulley.
Bit of levering and pulley slid off revealing woodruff key...sitting there all lonely !!! just sits there so dead easy to remove !!! upside down half moon.curved bit down flat side up and as suspected half out other half under the pulley so NO chance of just pulling out !!!!

Cant do anymore now..away for a few days...
Any tips for refitting....??? Noticed tensioner came loose behind right hand side pulley..uuurrrmmm thinking this wil need squeezing back again....??

Old 12 April 2006, 06:24 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

yhpm
Old 14 April 2006, 08:36 PM
wrxtreme96
Scooby Regular

Default Back again

Big thanks to Ticky for the PM... cerainly saves time when someone able to offer advice / help..

Thought there might have been a few more posts...
Perhaps this should be a HOW to...or maybe a HOW NOT TO......
Hope it is of help to someone

Damage to woodruff key clear once put alongside a new one and old OUTER crank pulley (not INNER pulley shown in pic) all chewed up inside..me thinks was very lucky !! Thankfully didn't just retighten pulley back on but decided to investigate possible cause.

Yellow = new woodruff...yep £2 + vat and many hours to fit !!!
Red = old key (remember half of this sits under the pulley so CAN NOT just be pulled out)

Ok..tensioner removed from behind RHS pulley and placed into a vice for squeezing..(cheers Ticky ) no point trying to prize it back with a screwdriver it needs a fair few pounds of pressure to push the cylinder back.
Once prized back allen key inserted into guide holes to keep cylinder recessed..

Yellow = tensioner behing RHS pulley
Red = shows allen key inserted once cylinder been viced and then re-fitted

Don't release tensioner till all pulleys/belt lined up as ya found them..presuming car was correctly timed up !!!
Not easy to line up all the pulleys esp since the large pulleys try to spring/ rotate... as ya re fit the belt. Helping hands and some block wedges needed to stop pulleys rotating when refitting cambelt !!!

Oh well thats all for now..
Old 16 April 2006, 10:50 PM
wrxtreme96
Scooby Regular

Default blimey what a lot of replies..!

Decided to see this post through in the hope it may be of use to someone..

Pulled out allen key from tensioner and cambelt sits nice and tight so back on with the covers..fit centre first followed by both sides. Strangely had to trim the rubber seal as it had stretched..oh well fitted better once trimmed and basically seems to be there to stop grease and grime contaminating pulleys and cambelt.

Once cambelt cover on..on the home straight so on with the Roger Clark Pulleys..

Cleaner, lighter and oh yes NOT damaged !!!

Pushed pulleys on and then in turn jammed pulley eg..power steering levered a screwdriver and same with alternator.
Main crankshaft pulley dropped into 5th gear and jammed on the brakes then used long bar and 24mm socket.. (22mm needed for alternator)

Nearly there and almost end of this post..!!

Popped belts back on and adjusted tension, alternator nice and easy with anticlockwise bolt to turn until tension correct. Same with air con..on right no replacement pulley here !!

Pulleys and belts on so last bit is safety cover over belts, then radiator.

Cleaned up radiator and kurusted lower section. Easy fit since clips back into lower section , bottom hose and top hose jubilee..three little pipes then the two retainers at the top..... 2 bolts look like they just secure bonnet strut.

Jobs a good un...?

oh yes.. remember ya dont need to mess with the cambelt if just changing over to lightened pulleys...!
You will do though if you need to fit a new woodruff key...
Old 30 April 2006, 04:58 PM
wrxtreme96
Scooby Regular

Default update

Post began as an enquiry/ needing advice thread...and then a brave attempt at attempting a job I thought would be a lot easier...?
When first discovered the pulley had fallen off thought it would be a simple case of just re-tighten back on....

anyways not sure if anyone interested since not had any feedback. BUT pulleys and belts all seem to be ok... and personally have not noticed any appreciable improvements in engine responsiveness..... Pulleys claim to add bhp due to less reciprocating mass..but me thinks just add bling and needed to fit a new crank pulley .........

anyone else...?
Old 30 April 2006, 05:08 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Smile

I cannot comment on the pullies as I have had no experience with them but nice write up, glad to see you managed to get the crank sprocket off.
I bet lining up the cam pullies & getting the belt on was fun.

Is that a hybrid fmic I see? What dv are you using (recirculating etc)
I am only asking as I have the hybrid fmic

Ticky
Old 30 April 2006, 10:51 PM
mark28
Scooby Regular

Location: "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...Now that's what gets you."

well done mate, glad to you sort the problem out yourself.

ps. pullys look really good. dont forget to clean them when you clean your car
Old 01 May 2006, 04:27 PM
wrxtreme96
Scooby Regular

Default fmic from japan

Originally Posted by ticky
I cannot comment on the pullies as I have had no experience with them but nice write up, glad to see you managed to get the crank sprocket off.
I bet lining up the cam pullies & getting the belt on was fun.

Is that a hybrid fmic I see? What dv are you using (recirculating etc)
I am only asking as I have the hybrid fmic

Ticky
Hiya Ticky..as before cheers for your initial response as it certainly helped with the tensioner !!

I fitted the FMIC about 6 weeks ago after sourcing it direct from an ebay address. It was one of those hybrid stylee ones but when I followed the link through got onto D2power who wwere offering the intercooler with pipe work for less than £190 !!! originaly listed around the £350 + mark. Cost 30 carriage and £20 import duty ...An absolute steal of a price and the pipework is alloy so was great value.. got a GREDDY transfer and noone the wiser...well until now hehehee
Another diy job with some help from a good friend..took a few days to fit and then a couple of dummy runs as the pipes kept slipping apart on the battery side...boost pushing me thinks...
Didn't post pics as was quite a few other posts running around the same time and lots of dialogue about group buys and such...

Yep the cam pulleys was a bit tricky the first time the pulley rotated I thought it wouldn't turn back...tried cable ties and in the end jammed some wood under and got the wife to come and help for a couple of mins !!! couple of mins !!! hahahaaaa
D2 since have not had any more fmic up for grabs.. so me thinks got in there just at right time ....??

[QUOTE]well done mate, glad to you sort the problem out yourself.

ps. pullys look really good. dont forget to clean them when you clean your car [Quote]

cheers bud..was a brave job especially after never having attempted such a task... made me think though how sometimes ya rely on others advice. When I first spoke on the phone about the woodruff key, I was told ya just lever it out with a scredriver...YEAH RIGHT !!! I took his advice as fact...uuurrrmmmm several hours later a different story...