Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Well, the question is set... I'd be thankful of a reply. Thanks

-Fernis
Old 17 October 2001, 11:24 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

If you're referring to 'Power Engineering Phase 1 conversion' then no. It only fits the phase 1 engines (up to and inc MY98 or STi4 IIRC).
Old 18 October 2001, 01:49 AM
pat
Scooby Regular

There are four generations of ECU in the Impreza. It all started off with a JECS engine management, which was fitted from introduction up to MY97. This has provisions on the board for an external EPROM to be plugged in which would conatain new maps.

For MY97-MY98 there was a change which saw the provision for the EPROM deleted in favour of an expansion port which would not directly accept an IC but into which a mezzannine board could be plugged. I refer to this as a late Phase I, to distinguish it from the original, which is also a Phase I engine.

Starting at MY99 the ECU was switched over to a Hitachi unit, and there was no way of updating the contents of the board anymore; this coincided with much improved fuel and knock correction, presumably the decision was made that updates would not be needed as the ECU could learn anyway. The engine evolved into the Phase II, which saw a new intake manifold arrangement as well as a relocation of the crankshaft trust bearing from No. 3 to No.5 main... there were quite a other changes as well....

Currently, as of MY01, a Denso unit is used, and this is yet another quantum leap in ECU technology, but still there doesn't apear to be any way of updating the maps. The engine has been updated further, with the UK cars getting tumble generators in the intake manifold and the STi getting hydraulically actuated variable valve lift (but no tumble generators).

Currently the only way known of reprogramming a Phase II OEM ECU is to desolder the microcontroller and solder in a replacement... not something that most tuning shops have the equipment or patience to do, when it is so easy (in comparison) to drop in a PossumLink.

The Saga of the Subaru Boxer Master engine series continues... what will they dream of next?

Cheers,

Pat.

Old 18 October 2001, 03:07 PM
Ari Fernelius
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks for replies, guys! Since I already made myself look stupid I might as well ask more questions :-)

Ok, so for MY00 Turbo - what are the most recommendable (and cheapish) alternavites for a bit more power and torque?

Electronic boost controller? Benefits? Price? Fitting?
Possumlink? Reputation? Engine safety? Price? Fitting?
Prodrive ECU? The most expensive? The best?

Even just +10...15bhp / +20lbsft (midrange rpm) would be great. My car now as Scoobysport back box and K&N panel filter, no other mods (and yet, best 0-62mph measurement 5.3 secs, 400m in 13.9s). Too many of my friends' cars are too equal in performance, I'd just like to make the small difference...

I live in Finland, where there are very few shops that have the know-how to tweak Subarus properly... if not only one (ST-Motors, which is approved by Prodrive).

-Fernis
Old 18 October 2001, 10:09 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Even though I have a Blitz DSBC boost controller, I don't really recommend it. Why then do I have one? Because I am in Greece and we have no tuners. When I get some time and will be able to go abroad with my scooby, I will toss out the boost controller and go for a decent ECU, mapped by someone very experienced. There is one outfit here starting to tune the Motec ECU for the MY00 but they still do not have that much experince. Although they can tune the car to go hard, they still have not mastered the idling department, cold start or hot start and also have not mastered the aircondition side either. They say I must have my idle speed set at 1000 rpm so that at night my car does not switch off when the headlights and airco have been turned on.

If you are worried about warranty go for the PPP. Otherwise you can go for either a Unichip which is a piggyback ECU which allows the standard ECU to take care of idling and airco issues, or you can go for a Link ECU or a Motec or a Pectel ECU, I think that's how you spell it. Pat knows a fair bit on the Pectel from what I have read on one of his posts.

The main thing you need is a really good tuner. Whatever ECU you decide on, the tuner is the one that is the important factor. You can choose the most expensive ECU, but if the tuner is no good, the ECU will be useless, apart from the PPP which needs no tuning.

Pick a tuner and an ECU or PPP always over an EBC IMHO.

Cheers,

Wrexy.