Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Tick from front of engine

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2005, 12:22 PM
weatherman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick from front of engine

Recently I've noticed a distinct ticking sound on my MY01 Classic PPP Turbo, 57k. From inside the car it is only audible at low revs at standstill, though with the bonnet up you can hear it rising with the revs, it is at the front, maybe slightly towards the nearside.

It sometimes disappears, mainly at cold start, but then I first noticed it after a cold start! I wondered if it might be a sticking valve/tappet, but when I let a dealer hear it, he thought it might be a cam belt tensioner or even a big end.

I have checked the oil, all present and correct and looking fine. The car runs fine, no power loss. The ticking is at a lower rate than indicated revs, i.e. at an 800rpm idle, I hear 5 ticks per second i.e. around 300tpm. Any ideas? Would a cam belt tensioner make a noise at a lower repetition frequency than the engine revs?

Last edited by weatherman; 17 November 2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 17 November 2005, 01:26 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

tappets i would guess
Old 17 November 2005, 01:31 PM
Rich_B
Scooby Regular

Your 'measured' tick rate of 300tpm is quite close to 400, which would be half the rpm. As a four-stroke engine's valve gear operates once every 2 revs, then this maybe indicates the noise is valve-gear related.
Old 17 November 2005, 05:37 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cambelt tensioner?
Old 18 November 2005, 12:28 AM
weatherman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your ideas, getting it checked out properly on Monday.
Old 18 November 2005, 10:38 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Phase 2 classics had a common problem with cambelt tensioner doing this from cold only.
Old 18 November 2005, 12:13 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I thought they were all a bit rattly at the top? Mine has always ticked and its regularly serviced etc. Mate has an MY98 and his is the same.

Got me worried now
Old 18 November 2005, 12:21 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

If it's an MY98 it's more than likely piston slap, there was a known problem with that particular model year, worse than the MY97, because of a fix they brought in with the '98 to 'cure' the '97 slap issues

Cambelt tensioner is the the most likely culprit.

Slap next, possibly a ticking injector or cracked heat shield on the exhaust manifold

Tappets very unlikely unless the car has seen a lot of miles. They're solid shims and buckets unless it's an early 93/4 car that had Hydraulic followers
Old 18 November 2005, 12:35 PM
weatherman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim W
If it's an MY98 it's more than likely piston slap, there was a known problem with that particular model year, worse than the MY97, because of a fix they brought in with the '98 to 'cure' the '97 slap issues

Cambelt tensioner is the the most likely culprit.

Slap next, possibly a ticking injector or cracked heat shield on the exhaust manifold

Tappets very unlikely unless the car has seen a lot of miles. They're solid shims and buckets unless it's an early 93/4 car that had Hydraulic followers
Could be the infamous boost solenoid - though this can keep ticking a second or two after the engine has stopped running. Piston slap is most noticeable from cold - my pervious MY97 had its short motor replaced by the previous owner under warranty - but the replacement block developed the identical problem under my ownership!
Old 19 November 2005, 12:56 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Could be the boost solenoid, easy enough to clean it out...if you do a search on here you'll find guidance...
Old 19 November 2005, 05:02 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

Headers blowing?
Old 19 November 2005, 09:29 PM
weatherman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyslammed
Headers blowing?
Not sure if these answers are for Eddscott or me!! Mine is not the Boost solenoid, my previous car had the pleasure of the boost solenoid competing with the piston slap for my attention, the slap losing out once the engine was warm. Eddscott have you worked out exactly when the noise is being heard, i.e. all the time, warm only, cold only, varies with revs etc?
Old 10 December 2005, 02:50 AM
weatherman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by weatherman
Not sure if these answers are for Eddscott or me!! Mine is not the Boost solenoid, my previous car had the pleasure of the boost solenoid competing with the piston slap for my attention, the slap losing out once the engine was warm. Eddscott have you worked out exactly when the noise is being heard, i.e. all the time, warm only, cold only, varies with revs etc?
Mine was the Cam belt tensioner. When my dealer opened it up, he showed me the cam belt. The Subaru dealer I bought it from, who said they had changed it, hadn't. (They also hadn't processed a load of Proven warranties but taken the dosh before shutting down)
Old 10 December 2005, 02:06 PM
smiff99
Scooby Regular

Had the same problem with mine both when cold and warm, turned out to be the cam belt tensioner.
Old 13 June 2007, 10:57 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

sounds like the problem I've got & the reciept in my SH regarding the cambelt says "Timingbelt tensioner slightly damp, may be required at a later date"