Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2005, 02:40 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default clutch smells on 03 wx

How long does a normal WRX clutch last?

Our car has done just shy of 18k miles now, and I think the clutch is on it's last legs.

If I pull away briskly (as in, not dump the clutch at 6k RPM, but more like a normal start with maybe 2k RPM), the clutch smells really badly. Also, sometimes just in "normal traffic" (i.e. stop-start at 10-15mph) it also smells.

Also, one thing I noticed the other day... I did a "faster" start (4-5K RPM) on wet tarmac and let the clutch up quite fast (but I didn't side step it or anything), and looking at the rev counter, it was constantly at 4K while the car was still accellerating (and my foot was completely off the clutch). Once the car got to the speed it would have normally been doing at 4K, the revs started to increase like I would have expected.

Does the above sound like the clutch being on it's way out, or is it a case of "they all do that, sir" (I know what the dealer will tell me...).

We don't trash the car every day, and it's generally handled with mechanical sympathy.

If the clutch needs replacement, I don't want to go for a dealer supplied clutch, as they appear to be rubbish anyway. What uprated clutches could I get fitted somewhere not too far away from London, and how much would I have to expect to pay?
Old 13 November 2005, 05:37 PM
Phil Herrup
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Same problem here only 23k. Changed up to 5th at pace a while ago and revs stayed at 4500. Strong burning smell follows and is still there. Clutch still working but as you say Henrik is probably on the way out despite very little abuse.
Old 14 November 2005, 12:29 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be surprised if your clutch is on the way out. They do generally last longer than what you suggest. On wet tarmac there is a chance of wheelspin too.

I've found that they do smell quite often It seems as though it comes with the car as i have a number of imported STi 8's around and if you doi an urgent 3 point turn they smell and none of them has done more that 10,000 miles.

I'd keep on driving until more concrete evidence of slip is shown. If the clutch is worn out then the flywheel is already past it's best and you won't do any more harm by waiting to see!

You could always try a ' stall test' in first gear If the engine dies the clutch is fine, if it doesn't then change the clutch. It will smell if you do that but in my opinion they are just smelly clutches.

Good Luck David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 14 November 2005, 05:15 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

i would also back up what david says, mine has done 35k and plenty of high powered drag launches. The clutch still does not slip or smell at all although the thrust bearing has gone but that was due to putting about 420bhp through it

(03 WRX)
Old 16 November 2005, 12:41 PM
XR-Wayne
Scooby Regular

I get that Slight smell sometime as well from the clutch.
Nothink to worry about i had it for about 2 days after i did a 4-5k Launch.
After that aint had it since.
Old 17 November 2005, 12:40 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Mine's smelly if I get it hot, eg reversing up a slope, fiddling in a tight parking space, or fierce starts. No signs of slip (30k on 03STi PPP). Wouldn't mind but it does smell like a f*rt, embarrassing with passengers, I'm always having to explain its the car, not sure if I'm believed. Does anyone know if an AP organic smells?

Cheers, Diccy.
Old 17 November 2005, 01:31 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

I posted this same question a couple of months back mate (53 plate sti with 16k on the clock) Took it to the dealers and they said its normal. To show me they reversed their demo 05 car up a small slope with minimal rev and the thing stunk to high heaven. Just one of the annoying characteristics they tell me!
Old 17 November 2005, 03:45 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

My clutch always smells after my wife drives !! even in my 205

Stop driving like a woman
Old 20 November 2005, 10:35 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Phew, doesn't sound too bad then, if more or less everyone's got it. I don't fancy paying out for a new clutch just before xmas

APIDavid:
Just out of interest, what is the "stall test"? I'm sure it's not as simple as just letting the clutch up whilst stationary
Old 21 November 2005, 08:48 AM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

Talking Stinky

Tis not a problem, All my cars have had the clutch stink.

Get it most of the time when reversing up my drive. I think they engineered the smell in there to make us feel bad about ragging the car.
Old 21 November 2005, 11:58 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
Phew, doesn't sound too bad then, if more or less everyone's got it. I don't fancy paying out for a new clutch just before xmas

APIDavid:
Just out of interest, what is the "stall test"? I'm sure it's not as simple as just letting the clutch up whilst stationary
Hold the revs at 2500 - 3000 and try to feed the clutch in if the engine stalls then all is fine it it keeps running the clutch is worn out. IT WILL MAKE A SMELL NO MATTER WHAT. If it weems fine don't do it again accept the evidence.

Good Luck David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com