Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

WRX 2001 TOO SLOW !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2005, 03:58 PM
scooby_mania_yeah
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX 2001 TOO SLOW !!!!

Hia all just wanted some advice of people .. I have a 2001 bug eye shape WRX uk spec...

Mods = Induction Kit, Full d-cat exhaust, Boost controller running 1 bar...

I had it dyno tested at motor-tec in birmingham and its only showing 245bhp, Is this normal or should it be alot more, I know there dyno machine is in full working order... and i know its the car .. Could it be the sparkplugs ... and we have checked for leaks and there are non.. Any ideas peeps

cheers
Old 07 October 2005, 04:16 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Flywheel figures ?

Looks about right

Originally Posted by scooby_mania_yeah
Hia all just wanted some advice of people .. I have a 2001 bug eye shape WRX uk spec...

I had it dyno tested at motor-tec in birmingham and its only showing 245bhp, Is this normal or should it be alot more, I know there dyno machine is in full working order... and i know its the car .. Could it be the sparkplugs ... and we have checked for leaks and there are non.. Any ideas peeps

cheers
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MY02 bugeye's came with 215 BHP so throw in another 30 BHP for the mods and that brings it up to the 245 BHP or thereabouts seen on the dyno.

For any additional gains using the TD04 turbo you could have a re-map which should bring it up to about 265 BHP running perhaps 1.2 BAR max. At that you are starting to run into the physical limits of the WRX bugeye hardware.....TD04 turbo, small TMIC etc.

I've got a MY02 Bugeye and originally aimed for 300+ which meant new turbo, fuel pump, STi TMIC and a few other bits and bobs.

Midlife.....
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Cool

cheers
hi,have also got a MY01 WRX, with Ecutek 3 re map, full de-cat and panel filter now produces 282bhp and 279 llb of Torque at 1.2 bar,if that helps.

Sandman
Old 07 October 2005, 04:28 PM
scooby_mania_yeah
Scooby Regular

Ok thats cool...the guy who was Dyno Testing it and fitted my downpipe Was Peter at motor-tec.. He told me my car was misfiring at high revs around 5000 revs would that cause the dyno test to be slightly lower..

Figures are for a 4 gear test

Engine Power = 173.2kw (244.3HP) a 6461 g/m
Wheel Power = 121.0kw (170.6HP) a 6414 g/m
Dissipate Power 65.4kw (92.2HP) A 7083 g/m

Sorry i dont know how to load the graph on here but there are 4 lines on there

1st line is couple
2nd line is Engine Power
3rd Line is Wheel Power
4th Line is Dissipate Power

and all of them dip around 5000 revs and then go back up again
Old 23 October 2005, 08:38 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you also done the up pipe? mines the same power-ish, 247bhp/266lb torque with a decatted zorst from turbo back, but still with the 3rd up pipe cat in place.
Old 24 October 2005, 01:08 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Had my 02wrx rolling roaded recently,

Mods include de-cat down pipe
De-cat centre section
induction kit
sti i/c

cat remained in the up pipe and was running standard boost 0.9 bar

Showed 241/240

And that is from a reliable rolling road place.

Have upped the boost to 1.1 now and de-catted the uppipe loads more power, still not enough though

So your figure does seem a bit low to me

HTH

Cookie

Trending Topics

Old 24 October 2005, 09:23 AM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Cookstar...

How did you up the boost?

I'm hopefully gonna be de-catting the centre section in the next week or so, new Magnex straight through with 6x4 BB.. apart from that it'll have a panel filter and thats it..

Was thinking about installing one of the dawes devices although i would prolly need a boost guage first eh?

Originally Posted by cookstar
Had my 02wrx rolling roaded recently,

Mods include de-cat down pipe
De-cat centre section
induction kit
sti i/c

cat remained in the up pipe and was running standard boost 0.9 bar

Showed 241/240

And that is from a reliable rolling road place.

Have upped the boost to 1.1 now and de-catted the uppipe loads more power, still not enough though

So your figure does seem a bit low to me

HTH

Cookie
Old 24 October 2005, 11:40 AM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cookstar, whats your power and torque now with the up-pipe decatted and the boost upped?
Old 24 October 2005, 11:43 AM
scooby_mania_yeah
Scooby Regular

I gotta get my Up-pipe Decatted... I was running 1.0 Bar boost. Gonna get an ECUTEK remap from WRC will see what happens then.... Should push it up to atleast 290 . I have upgraded the fuel pump aswell....

Originally Posted by v5 man
Cookstar, whats your power and torque now with the up-pipe decatted and the boost upped?
Old 24 October 2005, 12:41 PM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

Well with a full (de-cat) 3" exhaust (APS), de-cat up-pipe (Gruppe-S), CAI (APS), Walbro fuel pump, FMIC (APS), forged pistons, forged rods, uprated big ends and Unichip (no swearing now...!) on a MY02 WRX I get a grand total of:

282 bhp corrected for an air temp of 42C (this was last Saturday) - so I am now at the heady heights of a standard STi!

Fundamentally the limiting factor is the TD04 and 380cc injectors.

The simple (and probably cheaper bang-per-buck!) switch to 550's and TD05/06 turbo would nett 360 plus with the supporting mods already in place.
Old 24 October 2005, 11:12 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

Thought you might be interested in some real world information I spent a while writing up about my experiences with Dawes and Decats. I wrote the following article on my Scoobypedia knowledge base:

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...pModifications

The Dawes information is valid for my Classic and Blob Eye shape Impreza's. The other information relates to my Blob Eye only.

In summary, Dawes is good if your the sensible kind (until you go ECUTEK), decat downpipe is good (you'll need the Dawes to stop boost spiking), any manufacturer will have similar gains (but different quality) even gut your stock downpipe pipe is as good (I did!). Not sure though that your decatting uppipe CAT (the one before the turbo) will make any noticable difference.

If your unsure about any of this or the risks, pay someone to do it for you.

Originally Posted by chris_c201
Cookstar...

How did you up the boost?

I'm hopefully gonna be de-catting the centre section in the next week or so, new Magnex straight through with 6x4 BB.. apart from that it'll have a panel filter and thats it..

Was thinking about installing one of the dawes devices although i would prolly need a boost guage first eh?
Old 25 October 2005, 09:38 AM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

CrispyDuck...

I assume you would really need a boost guage then if even if just to set it up as i believe adjusting it can be tricky....

Is the device easy to fit on a standard 2001 wrx (i know thats not what you have but wondered if you know anyway)

Cheers
Chris.

Last edited by chris_c201; 25 October 2005 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Reply to something else!!
Old 25 October 2005, 10:07 AM
scooby_mania_yeah
Scooby Regular

Default Boost

Hi If you want to adjust your boost i recommend a Blitz Dual Spec as i have one fitted on my01 Bug Eye,It takes about an hour to fit and then a Dyno Afterwards to set it up properly

1 Hour Labour = £60.00
Dyno to Set up = £60.00

Will Cost £120.00 to set up .. And the unit you can pick up of E Bay

Cheers

Sha

CrispyDuck...

I assume you would really need a boost guage then if even if just to set it up as i believe adjusting it can be tricky....

Is the device easy to fit on a standard 2001 wrx (i know thats not what you have but wondered if you know anyway)

Cheers
Chris.
Old 25 October 2005, 10:55 AM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Roughly how much for the actual unit??

Can you adjust the boost from the unit on this one, ie have it at 0.8 bar normally then 1.1. for "fun" times etc....

Hi If you want to adjust your boost i recommend a Blitz Dual Spec as i have one fitted on my01 Bug Eye,It takes about an hour to fit and then a Dyno Afterwards to set it up properly

1 Hour Labour = £60.00
Dyno to Set up = £60.00

Will Cost £120.00 to set up .. And the unit you can pick up of E Bay

Cheers

Sha
Old 25 October 2005, 11:46 AM
scooby_mania_yeah
Scooby Regular

They mounted my unit next to the cup holder in the dash, It seemed pretty easy to fit.. I suppose i can even fit it myself. But they had to set it up for me on the dyno , To make sure it was ok and that i was not gonna blow anything up..

The unit probably costs about £180.00 and you can adjust it , I have done exactly like you have stated i have one setting at around 0.8 and another at about 1.1 but also it has a warning too i have set that too 1.15 and the screen goes red if you hit that psi... Its pretty cool and safe depending on who sets it up... If you are near birmingham come down, I know how to install it and you can use the settings i have set up on my own unit.... That way you dont have to pay for a dyno or installation... Or you install it yourself and i will mail you the settings... Or third option get an install done by a professional

Roughly how much for the actual unit??

Can you adjust the boost from the unit on this one, ie have it at 0.8 bar normally then 1.1. for "fun" times etc....
Old 25 October 2005, 02:50 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks for the info... one last q.... does it jus plug into the OBD2 port or is it elsewhere??

Is there a noticeable diff between 0.8 and 1.1??
Old 25 October 2005, 03:21 PM
scooby_mania_yeah
Scooby Regular

Yeah lots of difference, Alot more responsive...

It does not plug into the OBD11 port, There is the electronic controller thats in your car , That is Just a +/- wire with a Loom Wire that goes to another Unit under the bonnet, Now the unit under the bonnet replaces your exhisting Boost solenoid that controls your boost, So pipes have to be moved around for the connection to the exhisting boost pipes.. Then basically the unit in the car is controlling the New boost solenoid And ur old solenoid is not being used, But leave ur old solenoid still plugged in Otherwise the ecu light Will Come on and make sure the 2 pipes going to your old solenoid are disconnected as The new solenoid is doing all the work...

Cheers

Sha

Ok thanks for the info... one last q.... does it jus plug into the OBD2 port or is it elsewhere??

Is there a noticeable diff between 0.8 and 1.1??
Old 26 October 2005, 12:55 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

Chris,

Yep a boost gauge is required, preferable PSI readout (more granular). This is what I used to set mine up first, it's reasonably easy.

They fit exactly the same on any model impreza (from classic to newage). Fitting is really simple, pull of a few pipes plug one pipe with a screw fit the Dawes and your ready to set it up. Set up involves lots of test runs monitoring the boost gauge then under the bonnet to dial in a little more boost. Personally I was not under any rush to set up and progressively did it over a week, upping boost a little and trying it for a day.

If you can (want to) afford it I would always recommend other ways of boost control - electronically using some of the devices mentioned here. You will always get more managable and safe boost control from devices like these as apposed to a Dawes or GFE manual boost controller. These manual devices are simply a ball and spring in a small brass chamber. With that said, I've (carefully) used them for a number of years and still do on mine.

CrispyDuck...

Cheers
Chris.
Old 27 October 2005, 08:11 PM
~~ Cal ~~
Scooby Regular

Here's what I've got after some minor tinkering & a remap :-

250 bhp @ 6000 rpm & 230 ft.lbs torque @ 5200 rpm

Car is 35 bhp up on standard WRX 2001 (215bhp)

Mods - afterburner decat centre & straight thru centre section + Scoobysport BB + K&N filter on Optimax.

Up-pipe & catted downpipe is still in place and limits car to 1.14 bar. Any higher and the resultant EGT may destroy the up-pipe cat and send it into the turbo. next mod for me is to ditch the up-pipe and go for maybe a Milltek sports cat on the downpipe.

At present it feel very rapid and lag free .......but I want more

Pre & Post maps

Blue lines are from when I was last RR'd with recent mods but no Ecutek remap....

Old 28 October 2005, 09:30 AM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Cal,

Can i just confirm if you have been re-mapped....??

I'm gonna be putting a magnex straight thro centre (de-cat) into a 6x4 oval exhaust, only other mod just now is a green panel filter and i'm wondering if i'll notice any difference?

After that my plan is to get rid of the up-pipe cat then a re-map.... i guess pretty similar to you over-all although minus the downpipe sports cat...
Old 28 October 2005, 09:46 AM
~~ Cal ~~
Scooby Regular

Yip, the higher curves is post remap........so with a 2001 /2002 you can expect circa 230 bhp with those mods
Old 28 October 2005, 11:04 AM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Do you think it will be a noticeable difference or not enough for the butt dyno to pick up on it...

Thinking about changing the airbox as well so its the direct cold feed from down the wing......

Originally Posted by ~~ Cal ~~
Yip, the higher curves is post remap........so with a 2001 /2002 you can expect circa 230 bhp with those mods
Old 28 October 2005, 12:15 PM
adzipalmer
Scooby Regular

What does a standard WRX 01 bugeye psi run at????
Old 28 October 2005, 11:15 PM
scooby_mania_yeah
Scooby Regular

standard boost wrx '01 = 0.9 psi

Originally Posted by adzipalmer
What does a standard WRX 01 bugeye psi run at????