Clutch pedal feels wierd!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2005, 12:48 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Question Clutch pedal feels wierd!!

on my MY99 WRX Sti Type R. I have experienced some funny/Quirky feels to my Clutch pedal.

Normaly quite firm a feel but gets easier to push down the further it goes. Sometimes the pedal goes easier to push down then gets slightly harder at half way then easier agian??

Simulary on the way up normally the ressistance gets greater 3/4 the way up at the "Bite" piont. But sometimes feels spongy and "Bites" half way up. then goes easier !!

I have never had any signs of slip from the Clutch ever and not into Traffic light Grand Prixs

This seems to piont to the Pressure pressure plate failing or the friction plate worn down to minumm.

Which is OK, straight forward clutch replacement but am I missing something obvious before I go down that road!!

Your Ideas would be gratefull

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 28 September 2005 at 09:31 AM.
Old 28 September 2005, 12:16 PM
Tim-H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mate, sounds a strange one that , Wouldn`t think it was the clutch plate / pressure as you have no slip , Might be worth a look under the intercooler , something may be fouling the linkage, also have a look up around the pedal mechanism, in the footwell, lots of bit`s that could foul under there,
Have a good one
Tim
Old 28 September 2005, 01:39 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tim I will

The boys on the 22B site suggested bleeding as may be boilt

The car recently had a 30K service, think they change the fluid, so maybe cheap crap

Regards

Tony
Old 28 September 2005, 02:25 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Check the return spring on top of the slave cylinder to bellhousing is in place.
Old 29 September 2005, 02:01 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by T5NYW
on my MY99 WRX Sti Type R. I have experienced some funny/Quirky feels to my Clutch pedal.

Normaly quite firm a feel but gets easier to push down the further it goes. Sometimes the pedal goes easier to push down then gets slightly harder at half way then easier agian??

Simulary on the way up normally the ressistance gets greater 3/4 the way up at the "Bite" piont. But sometimes feels spongy and "Bites" half way up. then goes easier !!

I have never had any signs of slip from the Clutch ever and not into Traffic light Grand Prixs

This seems to piont to the Pressure pressure plate failing or the friction plate worn down to minumm.

Which is OK, straight forward clutch replacement but am I missing something obvious before I go down that road!!

Your Ideas would be gratefull

Tony
PM'd you this as well mate:

I had a similar really annoying problem with my MY99's clutch pedal mate, worked fine, felt horrid! Xtreme bleed the system and replaced the fluid. This improved the feel for about a week, but then the symptoms returned. I decided to just replace the clutch (I wanted to upgrade anyway- this was the perfect excuse) Same result, only a better clutch, but still dodgy feel.

It transpired that there was an intermitant problem with the clutch hoses on that MY and Subaru issued uprated ones to cure the problem. I had them installed and the dodgy feeling pedal is no more! :-) The part is about £20 and £30 to fit. Xtreme scoobies have the details, its where I got mine done.

Hope this helps.

NS04
Old 29 September 2005, 06:30 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
It transpired that there was an intermitant problem with the clutch hoses on that MY and Subaru issued uprated ones to cure the problem. I had them installed and the dodgy feeling pedal is no more! :-) The part is about £20 and £30 to fit. Xtreme scoobies have the details, its where I got mine done.

Hope this helps.

NS04
NS04

Yes looks like you get the Top Prize

I only had the car a few months and previous owner had the cluch was replaced 15K ago when engine rebuild, but I was not sure of Clutch history/use As i have the Car for sale I didn't want any sort of comebacks. So out with clutch and a new one to be fitted Tomorrow.

Not that much wear to friction plate and Flywheel like new. but the Mechanic noticed that there looks a little bit kinked in the Flexible pipework. possibly due to overheating near Turbo.

So will give extreme Scoobs a call for replacement pipework

regards and thanks to all replied

Tony

ps happier to replace clutch than problems latter on

Last edited by T5NYW; 29 September 2005 at 06:40 PM.