Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2005, 10:49 AM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings

Can some one tell me if its normal to have a lot of rear end noise,like a humming/drone noise. I have started noticing it more lately and I drove a my05 sport and it was really quite.Is it different running gear to the turbo..mine is a MY03 WRX
powerman
Old 10 September 2005, 02:22 PM
Otto-Mate
Scooby Regular

Did you ever solve this? I have the same...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=455933

Thanks

M.
Old 11 September 2005, 04:06 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

NO...went to the main dealer and he thinks its the tyres making a noise but I am still not convinced and its getting a bit irritating now tyres are TOYO proxys 225's and car has covered 22k Anyone experiencing noise with these tyres?

powerman
Old 11 September 2005, 05:38 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I own several low mileage 2003 on type lmprezas [ sales cars etc ] and they all give the impression of rear wheel bearing or diff noise. They can't all be wearing out or have faults so it must be a characteristic of the car.

Probably tyres, certainly NOT a fault.

David APi Impreza / APi Engines
www.apiengines.com
Old 11 September 2005, 06:16 PM
Otto-Mate
Scooby Regular

I had the car for a week before it went back to the dealers to get a new shock and two new rear tyres (some no-brand cheap crap they fitted too!).

The tyres mad no difference at all, it's definately not tyres (in my case anyway).

There's no way I could drive the car like this though. I need to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks

M.
Old 11 September 2005, 06:31 PM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

dunno about ur model but i had started to get similar noises on my ver 5 sti and it turned out to be the rear wheel bearings on there way out.. had them changed and it got rid of it...
Old 11 September 2005, 07:21 PM
Otto-Mate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tasberley
turned out to be the rear wheel bearings on there way out.. had them changed and it got rid of it...
Thanks Tasberley, it does sound just like wheel bearings.

M.
Old 12 September 2005, 07:44 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

I am going to put the original 215 back on next weekend and see if that makes any difference,,,will let you know
Old 13 September 2005, 12:04 AM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Our '97 Sport is doing this, have had both bearings changed on the back and still have it - must be the diff? Is the diff expensive to change - worth getting one from a breakers?
Old 13 September 2005, 08:54 AM
silky
Scooby Newbie

Question

Can some one tell me if its normal to have a lot of rear end noise,like a humming/drone noise. I have started noticing it more lately and I drove a my05 sport and it was really quite.Is it different running gear to the turbo..mine is a MY03 WRX
powerman
I have had the same drone noise for the last 2 weeks on my 01 sport, gets louder at higher speed. Has any one tried changing the oil in the Diff, ? only done 32k on mine and would not have think its the wheel bearings.
Old 13 September 2005, 12:57 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

I agree with APIDavid, it is not a quiet car, especially from the back. There is very little sound insulation in the boot, and it does tend to drone.

I took my MY02STI back to the dealer for this very thing 2 years ago, and was told it was normal. It's still the same now, but I don't listen.
Old 13 September 2005, 01:11 PM
Otto-Mate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ShyTot
I agree with APIDavid, it is not a quiet car, especially from the back. There is very little sound insulation in the boot, and it does tend to drone.
I've just come from three years in a Classic where there was even less sound insulation, but no drone.

M.
Old 13 September 2005, 04:42 PM
JJD
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Very Strange, very strange indeed, :] as my MY2001 Sport has also recently developed the dreaded drone about 400 miles back, so I turned to this forum for advice!!

I have jacket the car up and checked to see if there is any play in the bearings but cannot find any. I have done 49K miles so cannot beleive it is a wheel bearing.

My thoughts turn to the tyres as they are nearing the end of their life. The noise seems to eminate from the rear of the car so as the front tyres are less worn I was going to do a tyre swap round tonight to see if it makes any difference.

I will let you know how I get on.

Jonathan
Old 13 September 2005, 07:19 PM
JJD
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Whilst changing the wheels around I tried out a suggestion which I had read on another forum group. (Sorry cannot find the link)

I jacket up the drivers side so that both wheels were off the ground, grabbed hold of the rear suspension strut and turned the rear wheel - no vibration felt through the strut.

I did the same on the passanger side and I could feel the difference straight away - vibration through the rear strut. The front strut on the passanger side is vibration free. So to me, this now point towards the rear passanger side wheel bearing on its way out.
I would be interested in hearing from anybody else who would be willing to give this a go to see if they to can isolate where their 'drone' is coming from.

Is it worth getting both bearings changed?
Is it easy to change ?

Jonathan
Old 14 September 2005, 08:22 PM
loscooby
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Very interested to know how it is going, I have the same noise on my WRX Sti -2003...

I drove by my local subaru garage to have the guys check it, both mechanics did testdrive the car and the first one instantly said wheelbearing but after a while he hesitated and said that he was not sure what it was.
The second guy said that the noise was coming from the tyres but the sound is there with my soft winter friction tyres aswell...

I am having the car serviced on the 26th but I need to get good arguments to have them change the bearings...

But this noise is something that I did not use to get so this is def. not something normal on my car at least...

/L-O

Originally Posted by JJD
Whilst changing the wheels around I tried out a suggestion which I had read on another forum group. (Sorry cannot find the link)

I jacket up the drivers side so that both wheels were off the ground, grabbed hold of the rear suspension strut and turned the rear wheel - no vibration felt through the strut.

I did the same on the passanger side and I could feel the difference straight away - vibration through the rear strut. The front strut on the passanger side is vibration free. So to me, this now point towards the rear passanger side wheel bearing on its way out.
I would be interested in hearing from anybody else who would be willing to give this a go to see if they to can isolate where their 'drone' is coming from.

Is it worth getting both bearings changed?
Is it easy to change ?

Jonathan
Old 14 September 2005, 09:31 PM
JJD
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I have got my car booked into the local dealers for Monday - I have explained the symptoms to them over the phone but they have stressed that they will make sure themselves first (rightly so) before they change the bearing. The service manual has section in it explaining how to inspect the bearing before replacing - but time is money and I have not got the time to take things apart to look myself. I did look for worn bushes though - nothing obvious.
I did change the rear disk and pads about 800 miles back - but as this problem has only kicked in over the last 400 miles and I cannot see any link with this, particularly as I can feel the vibration when I turn the wheel by hand - its not as if the disk is out of balance as I guess this would only become apparent (if at all) at high speeds. And it definitely not a vibration caused by something catching on the disk (no metallic noises) just a 'rumble' type of vibration. (had the same on the washing machine and that was a knackered bearing !)

JJD
Old 15 September 2005, 06:28 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JJD
I have got my car booked into the local dealers for Monday - I have explained the symptoms to them over the phone but they have stressed that they will make sure themselves first (rightly so) before they change the bearing. The service manual has section in it explaining how to inspect the bearing before replacing - but time is money and I have not got the time to take things apart to look myself. I did look for worn bushes though - nothing obvious.
I did change the rear disk and pads about 800 miles back - but as this problem has only kicked in over the last 400 miles and I cannot see any link with this, particularly as I can feel the vibration when I turn the wheel by hand - its not as if the disk is out of balance as I guess this would only become apparent (if at all) at high speeds. And it definitely not a vibration caused by something catching on the disk (no metallic noises) just a 'rumble' type of vibration. (had the same on the washing machine and that was a knackered bearing !)

JJD
Was it a hoover turbo?
Old 20 September 2005, 01:49 PM
JJD
Scooby Newbie

Talking

It is a Hover non-turbo:-( and I am sure that the tub bearing failed after it had had done more that the 46,000 miles more car has done! (in rotations)
Well, one new n/s rear wheel bearing later and all is well, nice and quiet in the car. I can now turn the radio down!
JJD
Old 21 September 2005, 12:28 PM
silky
Scooby Newbie

JJD
Well, one new n/s rear wheel bearing later and all is well, nice and quiet in the car. I can now turn the radio down!
JJD
Cheers JJD, Will book mine in for next week at local garage (Non Subaru) if you dont mind, how much did they charge you for new bearing and labour, just so I know if im being ripped off.
Cheers John.
Old 21 September 2005, 01:11 PM
Otto-Mate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JJD
JJD
Excellent. Just back from some motorway miles in mine and it's driving me NUTS!!

Hope to get to the dealer soon.

M.
Old 21 September 2005, 07:28 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Otto-Mate
Excellent. Just back from some motorway miles in mine and it's driving me NUTS!!

Hope to get to the dealer soon.

M.
Just done 350 miles this weekend motorway miles and it was unbearable ..........
Old 23 September 2005, 12:04 PM
Otto-Mate
Scooby Regular

OK, was at my dealers early this morning. Went for drive with their top Subaru mechanic. Within a few 100 yards he was already saying that the sound is just "road noise" and perfectly normal :-o

He also said they've had a few customers in with the same complaint. He has an STi himself and has lifted the rear seats to put carpet under them to try and deaden the sound. He says there's far less soundproofing on this car that my old MY99 Classic too! :-o

He has onl even seen wheel bearing go after 70,000 miles or more he says. Could the noise be a bearing in the diff?

Time will tell, To prove to me its road noise, I'm booked in next Friday to borrow a set of 17"s put on which should make the noise much less he says.

I still can't believe a din like that can be "normal". IT SOUNDS AWFUL!

M.
Old 23 September 2005, 04:29 PM
JJD
Scooby Newbie

Talking

About £240 inclusive labour parts and VAT. I phoned and indpendant Subaru garage who wanted the same about. Shopping round could have resulted in a better price but I have used this main dealer before and find them very good and as I pass them on my way to work.....it was not worth the hassle. With the right tools it does not look like a difficult job but with decent bearing puller kits costing upwards £100....
Old 23 September 2005, 04:33 PM
JJD
Scooby Newbie

OK, was at my dealers early this morning. Went for drive with their top Subaru mechanic. Within a few 100 yards he was already saying that the sound is just "road noise" and perfectly normal :-o

He also said they've had a few customers in with the same complaint. He has an STi himself and has lifted the rear seats to put carpet under them to try and deaden the sound. He says there's far less soundproofing on this car that my old MY99 Classic too! :-o

He has onl even seen wheel bearing go after 70,000 miles or more he says. Could the noise be a bearing in the diff?

Time will tell, To prove to me its road noise, I'm booked in next Friday to borrow a set of 17"s put on which should make the noise much less he says.

M.
Have you tried out what I did - lift the car with the two wheels on same side off the ground hold on to shcok abosber and spin wheel (as fast as you can) then try other side and compare.
Old 23 September 2005, 06:28 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

M.
I will be interested in the result of this ..I was going to put my original 17 back on but I havn't had time yet
Old 23 September 2005, 07:43 PM
Otto-Mate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JJD
Have you tried out what I did - lift the car with the two wheels on same side off the ground hold on to shcok abosber and spin wheel (as fast as you can) then try other side and compare.
No, not tried that yet.

M.
Old 23 September 2005, 07:44 PM
Otto-Mate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
I will be interested in the result of this ..I was going to put my original 17 back on but I havn't had time yet
Will report back.

M.
Old 25 September 2005, 01:55 PM
dualtech
Scooby Regular

I've been following this thread with interest as I also have a droning noise. I did have a wheel bearing changed as it was groaning going around roundabouts but this did not make much difference to the noise levels.

I have toyos 225x18x35 all round.

This morning discovered I had a puncture that they counldn't repair. I have two good Bridestones S02's in the garage so stuck them on the rear and noise levels have dropped considerably.
Old 03 October 2005, 02:16 PM
Otto-Mate
Scooby Regular

Well, was at the dealers on Friday and now have their spare set of 17"s on my car now. I'd have to say although the noise is still there, it definately isn't as lound as before which would seem to confirm a lot of what I'm hearing is road noise from the 18" tyres

M.
Old 03 October 2005, 05:15 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Deffo jack it up and spin wheel whilst holding the suspension arm, you'll know if its a bearing straight away