Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Which is the best Panel Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2005, 09:59 PM
zakk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is the best Panel Filter?

Cased on you experiences and knowledge......Which do you guys recommend..and also which is the best downpipe to fit a magnex backbox.....anyone know the combined power gains?
Old 26 June 2005, 10:07 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

A Japanese STI panel filter is definately the best.
Old 26 June 2005, 11:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Didn't somebody on here test one recently on an air flow testing unit and found it to be upto 10% more restrictive than an OE paper one I have a JR Racing which I'm more than happy with, but K&N and Green Cotton are as highly thought of in general on here. As my JR is a lifetime unit, I'll never have the need to try and see if the STi is any better, and as they are a serviceable item I won't bother costwise either.
Old 26 June 2005, 11:51 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can say that the STi panel filter definately isnt anywhere near as restrictive as the oem filter, better breathing up top and more bhp and torque on my JDM STi

(12bhp and 15lbs of torque!)

Tony
Old 26 June 2005, 11:55 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ght=sti+filter

It was a report in Scoobymag
Old 26 June 2005, 11:57 PM
zakk
Scooby Regular

Really? Did that come out on the dyno sheet? Yours was a jdm sti...mines is a uk spec wagon. What about downpipes to fit a magnex backbox? Any ideas?
Old 27 June 2005, 12:18 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zakk
Cased on you experiences and knowledge......Which do you guys recommend..and also which is the best downpipe to fit a magnex backbox.....anyone know the combined power gains?
I'm not saying a word about filters!

A down-pipe doesn't fit to the backbox. It fits to the centre section. Is that a Magnex? Is it the 2.5" Magnex centre section too?

There isn't a 'best' so to speak. If you want quality, then go for a full stainless pipe, which is TIG welded too such as the Hayward and Scott one. The Magnex twin dump has a mild steel flange, but it's cheap.

Whether you choose open-necked, closed neck, sports cat, titanium is a matter of choice and budget.

You really need to match one to your modifications for the best results. But power gains/losses vary from car to car. Take the WR1 for example - put a decat on them and they lose power.

You could always enter the competition (and hope to win) in the next issue of that Subaru magazine - what do they call it now?
Old 27 June 2005, 12:21 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Filter results (please leave them as links):

www.scoobymagazine.com/images/af_standard.jpg
www.scoobymagazine.com/images/af_green.jpg
www.scoobymagazine.com/images/af_sti.jpg
Old 27 June 2005, 03:44 AM
zakk
Scooby Regular

Thanks.....I have to say that im a little confused now, though, since I got the car with the magnex backbox, Im not even sure if it is from the centre section or not. Firstly I'd have to find that out.... then I'd know if I also needed the centre section or not. I just wondered if already having a magnex backbox would be a limiting factor ie if I had to get a specific downpipe to fit it etc. I think the presence of the Magnex is an advantage as it sounds great and I dont have to pay for another backbox! Any idea of the price for the downpipe and centre section?
Old 27 June 2005, 03:51 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Old 27 June 2005, 03:56 AM
zakk
Scooby Regular

Lol....Now theres' crystal clarity!! All I need to do now is determine my current setup and plan accordingly....
Old 27 June 2005, 08:00 AM
05WRX
Scooby Regular

Was the car cooled down between pulls? It seems to me that those pulls were taken one after the other with very little time in-between. The car would have been really hot by the time the STi filter was fitted and as we know, intake and exhaust temp, really affects boost/fuel/timing mapping on these cars.

Aren't these results a little meaningless? The car would have been compensating and protecting itself from high temps by reducing it's power output.

The last pull would have been the lowest (which coincides with the STi filter going in) anyway.
Old 27 June 2005, 08:01 AM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

I have a MY05 STI PPP - is the standard filter on this the one you are all on about ? I spoke to the dealer on Saturday and they said if I fitted a Green or K&N oiled Panel filter it would invalidate my warranty and probably bugger the MAF !! Do subaru (UK) do a better filter for the Type UK STI that I could buy for better performance ?
Old 27 June 2005, 08:14 AM
Scooby-Monster
Scooby Regular

Got a Jap STi panel filter in mine together with Vortex backbox on my 05 Sti PPP.

Very happy.
Old 27 June 2005, 09:05 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by What if ?
I have a MY05 STI PPP - is the standard filter on this the one you are all on about ? I spoke to the dealer on Saturday and they said if I fitted a Green or K&N oiled Panel filter it would invalidate my warranty and probably bugger the MAF !! Do subaru (UK) do a better filter for the Type UK STI that I could buy for better performance ?
No ! The standard filter is just like any other paper disposable for any other marque, similar to what you'd buy at Halfords. The STi one is better made, but is still a disposable paper style. You're dealer is speaking half truths about the oiled filters. ITG filters were reknowned for killing MAF's due to their overoiliness, but I have never heard of K&N, JR Racing or Green doing this. Much of this scaremongering started around the 98-00 cars, due to the extreme sensitivity of their MAF's but all cars prior and since have been fine using anything except ITG. However, you dealer is completely correct to say that an aftermarket filter may invalidate your warranty in the event of a claim, but as you can change it back in under 2 minutes, who cares.
Old 27 June 2005, 09:21 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The scoobymag test was done on a wrx and not an STi, heat soak could have played a big part in lower performance.....
The test on my MY03 JDM STi was done at 1700 miles on a rolling road, 2 runs before with the oem filter, 2 runs after with the STi panel filter, the results were within a few mins of each other, the car was still on the rolling road when the filter was changed, the difference was 12bhp and 15lbs of torque gain now im not saying every car will get gains like these, but you will get an improvement somewhere, and yes, these are a service item, they need changing every 2 years/20k miles, which isnt really that bad considering its a dry performance filter.

Tony
Old 27 June 2005, 09:55 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 05WRX
Was the car cooled down between pulls? It seems to me that those pulls were taken one after the other with very little time in-between. The car would have been really hot by the time the STi filter was fitted and as we know, intake and exhaust temp, really affects boost/fuel/timing mapping on these cars.

The last pull would have been the lowest (which coincides with the STi filter going in) anyway.
Heat wasn't an issue.

Order of test: (See times on the printouts)

Standard (old)
Standard (new)
STI (new)
Standard) - repeat
STi (new) - repeat
Green (new)

Last edited by highlander68k; 27 June 2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old 27 June 2005, 09:59 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zakk
Thanks.....I have to say that im a little confused now, though, since I got the car with the magnex backbox, Im not even sure if it is from the centre section or not. Firstly I'd have to find that out.... then I'd know if I also needed the centre section or not. I just wondered if already having a magnex backbox would be a limiting factor ie if I had to get a specific downpipe to fit it etc. I think the presence of the Magnex is an advantage as it sounds great and I dont have to pay for another backbox! Any idea of the price for the downpipe and centre section?
You should be able to bolt almost anything on
Old 27 June 2005, 12:24 PM
zakk
Scooby Regular

Right cheers highlander68k, I must admit though due to the mixed opinions and me being a novice, Im realy confused about filters.....there seems to be almost no consensus:which is the main criteria for using a product.......Arrghh!!
Old 27 June 2005, 01:45 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
No ! The standard filter is just like any other paper disposable for any other marque, similar to what you'd buy at Halfords. The STi one is better made, but is still a disposable paper style. You're dealer is speaking half truths about the oiled filters. ITG filters were reknowned for killing MAF's due to their overoiliness, but I have never heard of K&N, JR Racing or Green doing this. Much of this scaremongering started around the 98-00 cars, due to the extreme sensitivity of their MAF's but all cars prior and since have been fine using anything except ITG. However, you dealer is completely correct to say that an aftermarket filter may invalidate your warranty in the event of a claim, but as you can change it back in under 2 minutes, who cares.
Thanks for the info. Can I get this STI filter from a Dealer ? if not, where can I order it from ? and how much is it ?