Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Q. Noise (or lack of) from decatted centre. A.

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2005, 05:19 PM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q. Noise (or lack of) from decatted centre. A.

Can I have a reasonably straight answer to this one?

I have an MY97 with P1 (STi) backbox. This ain't that loud and as I can get a new Magnex de-catted centre section w/o reasonator at a good price I was wondering if this would increase the noise levels by an appreciable amount?

So would it be worth it? I know lots of you will say, change the downpipe, but I can't be arsed (and it's more expensive).

Thanks for answering the question(s).
Old 22 June 2005, 05:52 PM
craigie_s
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

getting rid of the centre section cat will give u more of a burble . but not the noise u deserve !!!!!! get the down pipe aswell the noise will be great (not just the exhaust turbo spool sounds amazing ) and the cars performace will be dramatically improved . mine was !!!!!!!!!!!!! cheap systems are out there i got a full turbo back 3" mongose from ebay brand new £225 delivered for the lot down pipe centre section and backbox

Last edited by craigie_s; 22 June 2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 22 June 2005, 07:39 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

I've got an sti backbox and decatted centre - I noticed hardly any increase in noise from the centre being fitted.

Dave
Old 22 June 2005, 08:11 PM
mw2655
Scooby Regular

the backbox is the key, mine with full de-cat and sti bb is quieter than when i had a magnex bb and centre de-cat only.

cheers matt
Old 22 June 2005, 08:14 PM
subsy
Scooby Regular

right in a similar situation to what i was, had a new back box which made no difference to the sound. changed to a centre decat with resonator - still no sound difference. Changed to centre section WITHOUT resonator - finally got sound but not what i wanted. Then bought a decat downpipe and got sort of a sound but lots of lag as i didnt have it remapped. Then i put the original down pipe on and bought a blitz 3" system consisting of a backbox and centre resonated section, Result - This is really what i bought a scooby for! Absolutley amazing and now i dont have to mess about with the down pipe when coming up to MOT time.
Old 22 June 2005, 10:41 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

Mine is a MY98. I had the STi centre and rear box put on; good increase of midrange performance but not much noise increase. a year ago the centre section started to blow and I bought the Magnex straight through pipe (I think your probably paying about £80 from Halfords yes?). A good fit, and it came with all the bits. Possibly a very slight performance increase over the STi centre, but that was blowing! As for noise; only a little bit louder. Definately a solid burble sound but very discrete. I suppose if you want it, 'hey, look at me' loud, then get something else. This time of yer; windows down, quite road, mine sounds good to me.
You pays your money....
Old 23 June 2005, 11:28 AM
McWRX
Scooby Regular

I bought a scoobysport backbox for my bug eye... bit of a rumble. That was it, but was after more. So took a trip down to scoobytek and got the Decat centre section fitted. This made a hell of a difference to the pull of the car and also the sound. Lot more pops and a nice roar on WOT. I now have the burble on low revs but that great scooby noise when it comes on boost! Was told the last cat on the downpipe will make much more of a difference but am happy at the moment and dont want to mess around at MOT time.

Chuffed
Old 23 June 2005, 12:11 PM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

Cheers lads - you've given me the info. I was after.
Old 23 June 2005, 02:21 PM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

McWRX, thats the exact news i wanted to here !!

I've got MY95 turbo with a scoobysport backbox fitted at the moment, but in the process of trying to buy a H&S decatted centre section off another user.

Really looking forward to getting it fitted now, more noise, more power and some pops !!!