Knock activity, panic?????

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2005, 10:33 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock activity, panic?????

Hi Guys

I have a knock link and secs unit fitted to my 04wrx tek3 full decat scoob. I have been getting a full red light knock exactly when changing gear usually from 3rd to 4th when reving out to about 6k. The secs unit displays a Knock Correction of up to 7 degrees when reving out to 6000rpm then immediately when I change gear (3rd to 4th) the secs unit displays 0 Knock correction and I get a full red on the knock link.

Can someone tell me if this a knock, or just due to the engine rocking when changing gear or...something else (ideally nothing to worry about)?

I'll call the mapper tommorow and see what he says but it would be nice for you guys input too and also I'm worried
Old 16 June 2005, 11:08 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
Hi Guys

I have a knock link and secs unit fitted to my 04wrx tek3 full decat scoob. I have been getting a full red light knock exactly when changing gear usually from 3rd to 4th when reving out to about 6k. The secs unit displays a Knock Correction of up to 7 degrees when reving out to 6000rpm then immediately when I change gear (3rd to 4th) the secs unit displays 0 Knock correction and I get a full red on the knock link.

Can someone tell me if this a knock, or just due to the engine rocking when changing gear or...something else (ideally nothing to worry about)?

I'll call the mapper tommorow and see what he says but it would be nice for you guys input too and also I'm worried
I seem to remember another person with a similar post recently, it transpired that the KL sensor was just picking up the noise from the "enthusiatic" gear changes! Best to err on the side of caution and drive very gently untill this is confirmed by the mapper though!

NS04
Old 16 June 2005, 11:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rip the CockLink out and relax man ..... these cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed ................ NOT looking at some fookin traffic lights on your dash and have them send the ****s up you!!

The standard Knock Sensor is looking after you .... it sends signals to the ECU so you can relax in the safe knowledge that your engine is in good hands!!

Pete
Old 16 June 2005, 11:26 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Until it goes bang.
Old 16 June 2005, 11:31 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Rip the CockLink out and relax man ..... these cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed ................ NOT looking at some fookin traffic lights on your dash and have them send the ****s up you!!

The standard Knock Sensor is looking after you .... it sends signals to the ECU so you can relax in the safe knowledge that your engine is in good hands!!

Pete
Great reply, i'm sure that will help austen out no end!!
Old 17 June 2005, 12:07 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cat7
Great reply, i'm sure that will help austen out no end!!
Its more help than scaring the poor fella

Some people aren't as smart and knowledgable as me and scare easy - its unfair to troll out all the Engine Blow-Up bollocks to those who are susceptable to geeky freaks who like to scare them!!

How many perfectly standard cars are out there driving around without knowledge of ScoobyNet and MAF's and CockLinks and **** Oil Changes ..... and NOWT goes wrong???????

1,000's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These cars only go wrong if you **** about with them!

Pete
Old 17 June 2005, 12:32 AM
miles25
Scooby Regular

How many perfectly standard cars are out there driving around without knowledge of ScoobyNet and MAF's and CockLinks and **** Oil Changes ..... and NOWT goes wrong???????

1,000's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These cars only go wrong if you **** about with them!

Pete
But austens has been 'fooked about' with which is why he's concerned!
Old 17 June 2005, 07:11 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Some people aren't as smart and knowledgable as me and scare easy - its unfair to troll out all the Engine Blow-Up bollocks to those who are susceptable to geeky freaks who like to scare them!!

Pete
If you had actually read my post you would have seen that I have fooked about with it!

I've know your reputation on here and have read a few of your posts (until they bore me!) so please refrain from degrading this thread anymore!
Old 17 June 2005, 08:46 AM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Pete
In your opinion of course
Old 17 June 2005, 09:11 AM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Default BTT, back on subject please :)

Hi Guys

Can anyone shed light on this one?
Old 17 June 2005, 09:26 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Whilst it may well be down to the gearchange I would still get it checked over. See if you can get whoever mapped it to go out for a run with you with det cans. Repeat the process and they should easily be able to tell the difference between a gearbox clunk and det. If it is det it would seem it's only transitional, whilst det is not good it's more a case of if it's det'ing continuously that it will wreck your engine. What does confuse me is what your seeing on the SECS, does anyone know if it's normal for the knock correction to drop from 7 degrees to 0 when lifting of the throttle? Seems a bit odd?

P.S.Lewis: We are all aware of your opinions on KnockLinks, MAFs, Oil Changes, etc. So please give it a fooking rest If you had bothered to read Austen's first post you would realise the car is far from standard and that part and parcel of modifying is fitting the relevent monitoring equipment to keep an eye on the engine. The reputable ECUTek mappers out there advise on fitting a KnockLink, yes for the most part it should stay quiet but the engine is under more stress than in a standard car and a duff batch of fuel or other problem could really do a lot of damage in a short space of time. I'd far rather be warned of an impending problem with a few flashing LEDs than having the engine come to a grinding halt whilst out on a spirited drive.
Old 17 June 2005, 09:35 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers Graz, I have always had lights when exiting corners hard and changing gear, which i have put down to the engine moving in its mounts/gear change, but never got the 2 full reds like this time. I do seem to be slowly getting more and more activity, which also coinsides with the weather getting hotter.

What concerened me so much yesterday was that i had those 2 full reds, but earlier in the day while crusing (off boost) at about 3250rpm with very little throttle, i suddenly had all 5 leds light up for an instant, then i never had it again. Normally i don't even have a green while cruising. I was thinking that my KL was playing up, but what happened in the evening scared the cr@p out of me!! Especially as i'm off to the ring next friday!!!
Old 17 June 2005, 10:34 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Thought of something, how about wacking in a good dose of octane booster and seeing if it goes away. If it does then it's definitely det. If it doesn't then your probably still none the wiser but worth a shot?!?

Probably worth wacking some OB in whilst on the Ring anyway, the extra safety margin it gives is useful.

I get the first two greens to light on mine under hard acceleration, it's progressive though so I assume it's just background noise. Did get to the top red a while back after my boost control had been sorted out, I guess the ECU had been reset and it was just sorting itself out. My car is fairly standard as well (Lewis take note!).
Old 17 June 2005, 05:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

so please refrain from degrading this thread anymore!
I will remain the voice of reason in a sea of tripe ........... and will post as I consider very wise advice (others read this, and I don't want to scare people when there is NO need to!)

OK, I will say what you want to hear:-

"Yes, **** yourself, the Engine is about to blow, the CockLink is a vital tool in your fight to prevent complete and utter disaster - you are getting TWO red lights!!! Bloody Hell ..... stop using the car, get the laptop geeks out, you are within minutes of a trip to API ... stop off at the bank first because you are about to get bent over"

There we are, happy??? That IS what you wanted to hear isn't it?? Of course I don't believe a word of what I said there ............. throw the CockLink out the window and enjoy your driving!!

Pete
Old 17 June 2005, 06:58 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

I will remain the voice of reason in a sea of tripe ........... and will post as I consider very wise advice (others read this, and I don't want to scare people when there is NO need to!)

OK, I will say what you want to hear:-

"Yes, **** yourself, the Engine is about to blow, the CockLink is a vital tool in your fight to prevent complete and utter disaster - you are getting TWO red lights!!! Bloody Hell ..... stop using the car, get the laptop geeks out, you are within minutes of a trip to API ... stop off at the bank first because you are about to get bent over"

There we are, happy??? That IS what you wanted to hear isn't it?? Of course I don't believe a word of what I said there ............. throw the CockLink out the window and enjoy your driving!!

Pete
Naughty naughty Pete, are you saying that the guy's at API rip people off ?
a bit slanderous that mate, be careful !!!

A very satisfied API customer.

Rob
Old 17 June 2005, 07:33 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Pete, you are getting like me, say what you mean and dont hold back.LOL

Whilst i agree all the sensors are not required, the knocklink is a cheap piece of garbage which will frighten you to death IF YOU LET IT.
Let him get it looked at, it does him no harm.

I ran an MY01 with the same set up as Austen (293 BHP) for 2 years with no additional sensors apart from a boost gauge and it never missed a beat ohh and i only ever pre-filled the oil filter, as for removing the crank sensor or plugs, dont make me laugh.

Zippy
Old 17 June 2005, 08:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobfan
Naughty naughty Pete, are you saying that the guy's at API rip people off ?
a bit slanderous that mate, be careful !!!

A very satisfied API customer.

Rob
I most certainly am NOT!! I'm sure they are great at their job ....... but its not cheap is it?? £1,000's are quoted regularly - that to me is bending over!! (NOTHING to do with whether API are expensive or don't do a fair and honest job!! I purely mean that its VERY expensive!!)

API are highly rated and I have no reason to doubt that belief!

So, stop reading things that aren't there - I don't know, some people!!

I will await their writ

Pete
Old 17 June 2005, 09:39 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Austen, had my 05 tek3 last saturday and some of what you're describing happens on mine.

If I plant my foot on gas at <3k in 4th I can get a quick flick of lights inc red ~3300. This only seems to happens after cruising for a while not doing it again unless I cruise for a while again no matter how hard I drive..!

Bob R (who mapped) said it's down to the boost coming in so quickly (it does so with hardly any spool up..!) and hearing it through det cans was is happy with it. I have turned KL sensitivity down a few deg. on his recommedation.

I seem to remember AndyC772 (?) having a similar KL activity on his 05 JDM STI where Litchfields checked and everything was ok, told him to turn sensitivity down a touch. It would seem that this could be a feature of the lastest scoobs..?

And before you comment Lewis, just do us all a favour and F@@K OFF..!
Old 17 June 2005, 09:48 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Default thankyou

Originally Posted by jasonius
Austen, had my 05 tek3 last saturday and some of what you're describing happens on mine.

If I plant my foot on gas at <3k in 4th I can get a quick flick of lights inc red ~3300. This only seems to happens after cruising for a while not doing it again unless I cruise for a while again no matter how hard I drive..!

Bob R (who mapped) said it's down to the boost coming in so quickly (it does so with hardly any spool up..!) and hearing it through det cans was is happy with it. I have turned KL sensitivity down a few deg. on his recommedation.

I seem to remember AndyC772 (?) having a similar KL activity on his 05 JDM STI where Litchfields checked and everything was ok, told him to turn sensitivity down a touch. It would seem that this could be a feature of the lastest scoobs..?

nice one jasonius, constructive reply

Pslewis as usual you are the only "cocklink" in this thread....do us a favour and buy that volvo and matching caravan you have been promising yourself.
Old 17 June 2005, 11:10 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks jas Constructive and helpful. Can't get hold of the mapper for a chat, so just keeping my eye on thigs until i do.

I know there is a lot of scare mongery and cr@p talked on this site, and try to filter the rubbish out to get some useful information. If i post a thread like this i expect some people to reply with useless, missinformed, or hear say info. I am not an idiot and am just looking for some constructive info before i can get someone who knows what they are doing to look at the car.

There maybe nothing wrong, all i know is i'm slowly getting more activity from the knock sensor (even if it is garbage), i hope its nothing, but after sending £20k on a car and a further £4k modifying it i would like to protect my investment.

I'm not biting at the obvious bating, just asking you to go and spout your unwanted drivel on someone elses thread I dont want 8 pages of random dung to sift through when i come back on here
Old 17 June 2005, 11:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

If I plant my foot on gas at <3k in 4th I can get a quick flick of lights inc red ~3300. said it's down to the boost coming in so quickly (it does so with hardly any spool up..!) and hearing it through det cans was is happy with it. I have turned KL sensitivity down a few deg. on his recommedation.And before you comment Lewis, just do us all a favour and F@@K OFF..!
Have you ANY idea how frigging SAD you are??

CockLink and lights this and Det Cans and Boost and ........

...... tweak the CockLink if you don't like what its telling you!! Ha Ha Ha fookin' priceless!!

tell you what, disconnect it and stop being a dorky geek

Pete
Old 17 June 2005, 11:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks jas after sending £20k on a car and a further £4k modifying it i would like to protect my investment.
I've got news for you ............ it's NOT an investment!! as this investment can ONLY go DOWN!!

And spending £4k on mods has the effect of knocking at least £4k OFF the value - so, thats £8k wasted just there!!

Mods make it unsaleable, thats another £20k down the toilet!!

Now that I realise all that, why not **** about with it?? Its now a ChavMobile anyway

Pete
Old 17 June 2005, 11:33 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I've got news for you ............ it's NOT an investment!! as this investment can ONLY go DOWN!!

And spending £4k on mods has the effect of knocking at least £4k OFF the value - so, thats £8k wasted just there!!

Mods make it unsaleable, thats another £20k down the toilet!!

Now that I realise all that, why not **** about with it?? Its now a ChavMobile anyway

Pete
yawn................................
Old 17 June 2005, 11:34 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Have you ANY idea how frigging SAD you are??

Pete
Pot and kettle????????
Old 17 June 2005, 11:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

yawn................................
Oh, I see, you admit you were wrong in calling it an investment then?

Interesting ............

And to think I posted on here to try and not get you scared .... but, it seems, you are one of those who runs scared whenever their CockLink shows a RED light ........... have you looked to see whether it has fallen off in the Engine bay??

You DO realise that if you didn't have a CockLink you wouldn't be worrying??

And NOTHING untoward would happen ............ but, maybe not, you have fooked about with it beyond the design parameters .... yes, in that case, its shagged!!

Pete
Old 17 June 2005, 11:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Pot and kettle????????
Pot = doesn't spend £1,000's on mods that damage the engine?

Kettle = yes I do spend £4k on mods and my engine is in dire straits!!

Errrrrrm, they would look like 2 COMPLETELY different things??

You struggle to keep up, don't you?? Get the man with the LapTop in straight away!!

Pete
Old 17 June 2005, 11:50 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

couldn't really be **** to answer you as i was busy installing a sat nav system on my PDA, no doubt you think thats as pointless as your existance

Just for the record, i know buying a new car is throwing money down the drain and not an investment, i do it because i like it (not throw money away, owning things i like)
Old 17 June 2005, 11:53 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Pot = doesn't spend £1,000's on mods that damage the engine?

Kettle = yes I do spend £4k on mods and my engine is in dire straits!!

Errrrrrm, they would look like 2 COMPLETELY different things??

You struggle to keep up, don't you?? Get the man with the LapTop in straight away!!

Pete
Read the quote

Over 11k posts of cr@p and baiting, who is the sad one with nothing better to do Having internet buddies is sad, but internet enemies is even lower!!
Old 18 June 2005, 12:05 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

but internet enemies is even lower!!

BRILLIANT!!!

Have you ANY idea of how many mails I get begging me to continue 'testing' the ScoobyNet Myth factory??

The Impreza is a hobby for most on here, a living for some and just a car for others ................. why should some misplaced scare stories go unquestioned??

Myths should be challenged, and when you do ... you find out that something stupid has been done - an unwise mod. maybe ... a bad service??

And installing SatNav on your PDA is PAR for the course for ScoobyNet - why does the Impreza attract geeks??? It's not fair ..... it should attract MEN who do Oil Changes the RIGHT way ... who don't crap their nappies when some red light lights up!!

Pete
Old 18 June 2005, 12:11 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

BRILLIANT!!!

Have you ANY idea of how many mails I get begging me to continue 'testing' the ScoobyNet Myth factory??

Pete
You're my hero!!!!

Quick Reply: Knock activity, panic?????