Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

the free air box mod???

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2005, 10:56 PM
marshall010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the free air box mod???

Has any 1 done this to an o3 sti?and if so does any 1have pics becouse im thinking of doing this but would really like some pics 2 c what it will look like!cheers....
Old 06 June 2005, 11:21 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113
Old 06 June 2005, 11:50 AM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Sounds a bit iffi to me...onder2:

surly that would mess with the intake airflow.. and screw the MAF... plus if your goinfg to do that then you may as well go the whole way and fit a propper airflow kit... the warranty would be out the window so why not... or and then have it mapped accordingly...

just a thought..
daz
Old 06 June 2005, 12:48 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Daz, apparantly it's fine to do. As it's prior to the MAF, whatever increase in airflow is achieved the ECU compensates for. With the air being drawn from the inner wing, it is much free-er flowing and much cooler than when draw through the snorkel in the engine bay, and because you still use the OE airbox and filter, along with the mountings for the MAF, there is no problem with vibration as with I/K's. There is supposed to be virtually no perceivable performance increase, just a bit more induction noise and the sound of the recirc doing it's stuff. I've not yet heard of anyone who's done this mod reporting a MAF failure, unlike those who fit I/K's.

For the time it takes, and the fact that it is free (my favourite price ) I might give it a go. I can always put it all back on if it works out $h!te.
Old 06 June 2005, 01:35 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I've removed my resonator and replaced it with the straight pipe. It made no performance diffrence what so ever, and to be honest i can't hear anything else above the exhaust anyway My mate has heard me drive past and did say there was definetly some induction noise though
Old 06 June 2005, 02:42 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Austen, what BB are you running..?

When you did your decat how much louder was it from just having the BB with cats..?

Mines being done on weds, bottled out of doing it myself..! Remap on Sat, just hope my STi IC arrives in time..!

Jason
Old 06 June 2005, 02:51 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Austen, what BB are you running..?

When you did your decat how much louder was it from just having the BB with cats..?

Mines being done on weds, bottled out of doing it myself..! Remap on Sat, just hope my STi IC arrives in time..!

Jason
Grp N backbox, its not that loud now i fixed the 3 leaking gaskets!!! It measured 87 dp at the trackday so super quiet compared to a lot of peoples!!
I went out in a car with cats but a Vortex bb on, and mine was slightly louder.

The big noise increase is during acceleration, cruising isn't a lot louder with or without cats.

Trending Topics

Old 06 June 2005, 07:22 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Just done the snorkelectomy. Took it out for a quick spin and there is much more induction noise from around 2700 revs, and there is a definate dump sound whenever I lift off on boost, particularly under load. I'd say it's like having an induction kit and a VTA DV set on half volume, but with (hopefully ) none of the potential danger. And all for free Took me about 20 minutes to do, as I already had the wheels off for cleaning.
Old 06 June 2005, 07:43 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Daz, apparantly it's fine to do. As it's prior to the MAF, whatever increase in airflow is achieved the ECU compensates for. With the air being drawn from the inner wing, it is much free-er flowing and much cooler than when draw through the snorkel in the engine bay, and because you still use the OE airbox and filter, along with the mountings for the MAF, there is no problem with vibration as with I/K's. There is supposed to be virtually no perceivable performance increase, just a bit more induction noise and the sound of the recirc doing it's stuff. I've not yet heard of anyone who's done this mod reporting a MAF failure, unlike those who fit I/K's.

For the time it takes, and the fact that it is free (my favourite price ) I might give it a go. I can always put it all back on if it works out $h!te.
On one of the pictures it looks as though they have used a piece of 4" drainage pipe (grey) to deviate the airflow. Drainage pipe is for "SH**E not subarus, just a thought.Bringing in all that extra air can cause trouble, especially if you have got a de-cat as it all adds to confusion in the ECU. I know i did it on my first scoob a classic WRX wagon. I had to have it set up as after a while it was causing over boost etc... and it never gave me any real extra power.
Old 07 June 2005, 04:25 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

OK, just been out and done a whole tank of Optimax since the mod. The induction and dump noise is very audible, although not as loud as proper I/K's and VTA DV's. The car runs fine and I have to say, seems to run slightly cooler than before (just going by the needle on the water temp gauge as I don't have anything fancy) especially in traffic when input temps can soar. So far, so good
Old 07 June 2005, 04:28 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Interesting, did you just disconnect the pipe, or did you make this funnel type thing and bung up the gap. I was thinking about putting a duct into the wheel arch from the foglamp area.
Old 07 June 2005, 04:45 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I used a length of 12mm rubber hose to create a seal around the airbox to the wing aperture, and duck taped up the hole left by the snorkel. I haven't added any pipework as yet, but may look into it in future if I think it needs it. TBH I think it's getting plenty of air just through its own suction from the wing, and the cooler ambient can only be a plus.
Old 07 June 2005, 04:50 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I was getting some activity on the knocklink a couple of weeks ago at the track, which i am putting down to heat soak as it was a very hot day, i will give this a go and see if it helps
Old 07 June 2005, 06:18 PM
marshall010
Scooby Regular

so has any 1 got any recent pics of this done 2 there car?
Old 07 June 2005, 07:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

This is the stuff which is removed (except the plant ) ....

...and here's a couple of shots of the engine bay after removal...

Excuse the quality, camera phone

Last edited by corradoboy; 07 June 2005 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07 June 2005, 09:26 PM
Karl-AL
Scooby Regular

On mine i have left the air pipe on so it is still feeding cold air in, from the front of the car into the inner wing i have also sealed the air box and the air pipe so no warm air can get into the inner wing space from the engine bay.
Old 08 June 2005, 03:33 PM
marshall010
Scooby Regular

Has any 1 had any problems during a service or mot with this mod?As mine is up 4 a service soon!
Old 09 June 2005, 02:52 PM
Sammy Speakeasy
Scooby Newbie

Arrow

I've just removed the resonator on a 2003 WRX. There is so little sound increase that it is not noticable at motorway speeds and I still can't hear the standard dump valve. I kept ram-air intake and used a "silencer delete elbow" from
https://www.rallitek.com/catalog.asp?VEH_ID=4

The only time I hear any extra noise is gently accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gear, there is a little extra "muffled low pitch whistling" noise. Looking at the standard resonator box, it does not seem to present much of a restriction to the air flow - but it does look like it has been designed to double as a water trap! It's going back on!
Old 09 June 2005, 07:19 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Sammy, odd that you cannot hear the DV Mine is perfectly audible if I accelerate hard on boost then lift for a gear change. The induction whistle is very pronounced too, and I have noticed a drop in running temps, particularly in traffic. I have fully removed the resonator and intake snorkel, and sealed up the holes left, along with using some rubber hose to form a seal around the filter housing. Mine will be staying off, unless required for a warranty issue, but there's only 6 more months of that to worry about
Old 10 June 2005, 07:03 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

sammy, i've got exactly the same same set up on mine, and i haven't noticed any nois increase. I think i will be trying corradoboys set up when i get a chance