Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

car feels slower and strange knocklink activity! NONE at all!!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2005, 05:19 PM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car feels slower and strange knocklink activity! NONE at all!!!

afternoon folks!

drove to work in my MY95 WRX this morning, only had 1/4 tank and didnt have time to stop for fuel so never took it over 3k all the way there, it drove like a dream! i did the same on the way back untill i reached the shell! £35 of optimax, bottle of millers, off we go! give it a bit of stick in 2nd, and it didnt feel quite right, not as quick as normal! boost 1bar as normal!

anyways got onto the motorway sliproad, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, still quick, but just didnt feel as quick as normal! and the strangest thing! not a single light on the knocklink. i usually always get at least 1, usually 2 when about 6krpm in the lower gears or around 5krm in 4th and 5th! took it to 6k in 4th flat out and none at all. anyways, came off the motorway one junction down which is my junction. gave it a bit in 2nd and 3rd, and it felt like it was juddering a bit on full boost, and def not as quick!

no strange noises at all, engine is a quiet as ever, no smoke, nothing out of the ordinary other than what iv mentioned above!

Any ideas what this could be?? new plugs needed maybe?

Thanks
Old 16 May 2005, 10:44 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I'd be tapping the block by the sensor just to check its working correctly.
Old 17 May 2005, 08:14 AM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

right, i was having a look last night, and noticed that my oil filler cap was missing! god knows how! last time it was off was over a week ago, nd im sure i put it back on correctly, but the car has been driving fine until yesterday.

anyways iv made a temp one with some cloth and elastic band, and ordered a new one last night.

cleaned the MAF also.

This morning, car still drives perfectly, untill im flat out. It just feels like its wanting to go but being held back very very slightly! (no jolts, or bad hesitation)

it still pulls well but slower than normal without a doubt! iv also had one green flicker this morning so the knocklink is working.

it just seems as though the engine is only giving 90%, which is probably why the knocklink isnt flickering green as often as it usually does, as its not really 100% flat out when iv got the throttle down!

boost is 1bar, its usually between 0.9 and 1.1.

im gonna get some new plugs and maybe a lambda, but im open to other suggestions???

oh and i shat myself this morning, when i was in traffic and looked in the mirror to see nothing but smoke!! luckily the lorry behind me was shagged and smoking like a good un!! phew!!

thanks for any help
Old 17 May 2005, 09:16 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

It could be a bad batch of fuel, to which the ECU can retard the timing. This will give slighty less performance and be safer knock-wise, as you describe.

Try doing a ECU reset, also run the tank down low, fill her up and do another reset after a few miles. If it is a bad batch of fuel then this will cure it.
Old 17 May 2005, 11:20 AM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

i may try that now as the cars at work and i wont be using it for a few hours! how long does it take to reset?

I cant say if it was since the optimax fill-up as i was driving like a grandma all day due to only having 1/4 of a tank, and iv read it can have problems under 1/4 tank. but you may be right!

iv ordered some PFR7B's as well, as the car is modded and its currently running PFR6B's. new filler cap on the way too
Old 18 May 2005, 12:55 PM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

got a new oil filler cap! (big thanks to scooby clinic!!!!!) but the car is still the same! iv reset the ECU too!

if that cap had been off for a few days could it have caused any possible problems or damage?? still cant understand how the ***** came off!

iv cleaned the MAF, im gonna order some NGK 7B's today, and i may try unpluggin the lambda!

its driving perfectly anytime other than WOT!

any other suggestions folks?? im new to scoobies, only had the car 2 months, so im not too sure whats happening?

Thanks

Last edited by CJAF7R; 18 May 2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:03 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you need a Link ECU only kidding.

Could it just be the warmer weather that is upon us..

Have you tapped the block to check the knocklink works correctly?
Old 18 May 2005, 01:10 PM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

a remap is on my shopping list, but not sure when just yet!

iv seen the odd flicker of green so that the knocklink is defo working!

the car just feels slow under full power, and it feels as tho its being held back. as tho its only giving 80-90% of its power under full throttle!! slightly hesitant as well, like a bit jerky.

if u drive at 75% throttle or anything other then WOT then its smooth as anything!

doing my head int, the cars been running perfectly since I got it!

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
sounds like you need a Link ECU only kidding.

Could it just be the warmer weather that is upon us..

Have you tapped the block to check the knocklink works correctly?
Old 18 May 2005, 01:12 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Sounding more like plugs or coil packs..

try setting plug gaps to 0.5mm and cleaning them, if problem goes then perhaps coil packs need replacing and / or new plugs etc
Old 18 May 2005, 01:19 PM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice! new plugs are on the way asap! gonna order some PFR7B's rather than the 6's thats in it at the mo! fingers crossed!

can anyone recommend a good place to get them from? seen them in scoobyshop but the company can only accept cheques and takes fookin ages to clear! i want em asap. dont mind paying up to £40 if poss, but some places come to well over £50-60 inc postage and vat!!

thanks
Old 18 May 2005, 01:32 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Mark at www.lateralperformance.co.uk is always very good but cheque only.. delivery if usually very quick though..
Old 18 May 2005, 01:59 PM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

iv just found them in my local road and rally!

bloke said jesus, they are £19 each! i said foookin ell, i know they are expensive but thats a lot, he said ill do em you for £10.50 each as long as I serve you, so today or tomorrow only as im not in friday!

Old 18 May 2005, 07:01 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked to see if the throttle cable (on the TB end) is tight?
Old 18 May 2005, 08:32 PM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

i havent matey, but i shall have a check!
Old 18 May 2005, 09:30 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Not being funny, but check the car mat hasn't slipped behind the throttle. Has happened before
Old 18 May 2005, 11:04 PM
Red Suns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CJAF7R
thanks for the advice! new plugs are on the way asap! gonna order some PFR7B's rather than the 6's thats in it at the mo! fingers crossed!

can anyone recommend a good place to get them from? seen them in scoobyshop but the company can only accept cheques and takes fookin ages to clear! i want em asap. dont mind paying up to £40 if poss, but some places come to well over £50-60 inc postage and vat!!

thanks
www.spark-plugs.co.uk excellent service
Old 18 May 2005, 11:37 PM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

i managed to get the 7's for 9.99 each thanks to a mate. need to get them fitted!

the car wouldnt start properly earlier, idling at 200rpm then cutting out 3 times! left it 15mins, started perfect!!!

something is on its way out, plugs, coil packs, ro somethin!! hopefully nowt serious! it gets treated like a queen, why doesnt it respect me back! lol
Old 20 May 2005, 08:19 PM
CJAF7R
Scooby Regular

PDATE*

Fuel pump has gone!! wouldnt start at work, could not hear it priming! called RAC out for a tow home, then it started up once he arrived. he followed me home, looked at it, turned ignition, no prime, no volts, etc, banged tank, suddently started working!

tried a few times, it was struggling at 200rpm to idle, banged tank, suddenly picked up!! sounded very dodgy as well i had a listen in the boot!

So wolboro 255 going in tomorro!!

should solve all these probs hopefully! cheers for the advice folks