Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Sorry- MAF Sensor Question :)

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2005, 12:13 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Sorry- MAF Sensor Question :)

I know this subject has been done to death but I would just like to confirm a problem I might have with my Scooby.

It's a MY00 classic, so yes the one with the weak MAF sensor. I've felt recently that the car isn't running quite right, it's still quick to accelerate, but there is something different that I just can't put my finger on. Have noticed occasional surges whilst driving at constant speed, though I sometimes wonder if I'm imagining it. I've got a AE801 ECU in it so it shouldn't be as bad as the AE802 in that respect.

So I thought I'd check the MAF, I've read that uplugging it with a warm, running engine, should cause it to cut out. I tried this, pulled the plug and it started to stall, all well and good I thought, however it didn't cut out completely and then sprung back to life settling down to normal idle speed. So is my MAF okay or not? Is this a sign that it's starting to fail?

I really should get round to fitting the KnockLink, LambdaLink, and boost gauge I've got at home

Anyway any advice much appreciated

Thanks,

Graz
Old 21 February 2005, 04:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Graz
I know this subject has been done to death but I would just like to confirm a problem I might have with my Scooby.

It's a MY00 classic, so yes the one with the weak MAF sensor. I've felt recently that the car isn't running quite right, it's still quick to accelerate, but there is something different that I just can't put my finger on. Have noticed occasional surges whilst driving at constant speed, though I sometimes wonder if I'm imagining it. I've got a AE801 ECU in it so it shouldn't be as bad as the AE802 in that respect.

So I thought I'd check the MAF, I've read that uplugging it with a warm, running engine, should cause it to cut out. I tried this, pulled the plug and it started to stall, all well and good I thought, however it didn't cut out completely and then sprung back to life settling down to normal idle speed. So is my MAF okay or not? Is this a sign that it's starting to fail?

I really should get round to fitting the KnockLink, LambdaLink, and boost gauge I've got at home

Anyway any advice much appreciated

Thanks,

Graz
Hiya,

As I understand it, the MAF doesn't necessarily just fail, it can just operate at reduced efficiency first, causing more subtle problems than just cutting out or irratic rev fluctuations. Often the ECU compensates for this at first, which may be why the car didn't stall etc... Hesitation on boost is another good sign that's its on the way out, apparently. Many on here would advise treating it as a consumable and just replacing regularly, as it's a relatively inexpensive part that could cause a VERY expensive problem.

Regards,