Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oil Pressure Readings and Flicker ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 December 2004, 03:18 PM
SoNiCa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Readings and Flicker ?

Hi

I just installed my new Defi Oil Press. but not sure about the readings. When cold it flickers around 90-100psi (6.2 bar-6.8 bar) at idle. Idling when hot...seems to hold at around just over 25 psi to 30 psi(1.7 bar to 2.0 bar) with the odd flicker between 5-10psi....WOT when hot...seems over 80-90psi

It holds pretty steady at higher revs or rev ups but at idle, even the engine hot or warm it flickers, is that normal?

Cheer
Cuneyt
Old 26 December 2004, 12:04 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Cuneyt,

sound fine to me. mine does exactly the same. small needle movement went sat on idle when its warm. I get nearer 3.2bar @ idle - which may be down to the oil i use (MOTUL 300v), and nearer 8 when cold, 7 when warm at >1500 rpm.

I found MOTUL gives more consistant oil pressure.

cheers
Steve
Old 26 December 2004, 02:06 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SoNiCa
Hi

I just installed my new Defi Oil Press. but not sure about the readings. When cold it flickers around 90-100psi (6.2 bar-6.8 bar) at idle. Idling when hot...seems to hold at around just over 25 psi to 30 psi(1.7 bar to 2.0 bar) with the odd flicker between 5-10psi....WOT when hot...seems over 80-90psi

It holds pretty steady at higher revs or rev ups but at idle, even the engine hot or warm it flickers, is that normal?

Cheer
Cuneyt
It seems like the oil you are using is too thin for the car hence the low pressure on hot idle. You need to try to use some oil like 15W/50 or 10W60. Good brands include Motul, Castrol RS and Mobil 1 Motorsport.

Hope that helps
Stuart
Old 26 December 2004, 09:43 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Yeah, my warm idle appeared to rise 5-10psi after switching to Motul 300v. Mine does exactly the same as yours otherwise.
Old 26 December 2004, 11:25 PM
SoNiCa
Scooby Regular

Humm, I've been using 10w40 Mobil 1 Semi-Syntc. since 40.000 miles. Changing oil&filter in every 2500 miles. Motul is not available in here but Castrol RS is. I think I should consider about Castrol RS but I was happy with mobil 1 S since there was no oil consumption on my car.

This article made me to worry about the engine internals as well. Do you guys think, any oil leakage on the block may result a flickering oil pressure ? I've some leakage in the front crank seal and probably it has started to leak from the rocker gaskets as well but both are very very low.

The first indication of trouble may be a flickering oil pressure warning lamp or a low pressure reading on a dash gauge. If the warning goes unnoticed or is ignored, the next clue that something is amiss may be valve clatter as the hydraulic lifters or lash adjusters are starved for oil and ingest air. If the motorist keeps on driving in spite of the obvious warnings and audible protests from under the hood, the next sound he hears may be rapping or knocking noises from the rod bearings—which will eventually be followed by dead silence as the engine seizes and the vehicle coasts to a stop.

All engines will lose a certain amount of oil pressure over time as normal wear increases bearing clearances. But unusually low oil pressure in an engine regardless of mileage is often an indication that something is seriously wrong and requires immediate attention. So anytime a customer complains of a low oil pressure condition, or mentions any of the symptoms that may be due to a loss of oil pressure (warning light on or flickering, low gauge reading, valve noise or bearing noise), don’t delay in investigating the cause.
rest of the document if any intrested
http://www.aa1car.com/library/us1097.htm

flickering movie (3.6 MB)
http://www.subarutech.com/galeri/movies/MOV00795.MPG

Last edited by SoNiCa; 26 December 2004 at 11:34 PM.
Old 26 December 2004, 11:46 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SoNiCa
Humm, I've been using 10w40 Mobil 1 Semi-Syntc. since 40.000 miles. Changing oil&filter in every 2500 miles. Motul is not available in here but Castrol RS is. I think I should consider about Castrol RS but I was happy with mobil 1 S since there was no oil consumption on my car.

This article made me to worry about the engine internals as well. Do you guys think, any oil leakage on the block may result a flickering oil pressure ? I've some leakage in the front crank seal and probably it has started to leak from the rocker gaskets as well but both are very very low.

rest of the document if any intrested
http://www.aa1car.com/library/us1097.htm

flickering movie (3.6 MB)
http://www.subarutech.com/galeri/movies/MOV00795.MPG
Nah the rocker gasket or front crank leakage will not cause a visible pressure drop on your gauge (unless it was visibly flowing out) The flickering oil pressure i do not think is anything to worry about. I would start to worry if you saw significant oil pressure drop. I would consider changing oil to slightly thicker oil which will protect the engine more when heated and also use fully synthetic oil. It will do it good to change the oil every 3-5k miles as i do as the jap engines with their tight tolerances run more reliably when looked after in this way.

Stuart