Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Will an STi V7 engine fit the v3?

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2004, 09:03 AM
nuts4cars
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Will an STi V7 engine fit the v3?

Can any one help I have an STiV3 with a blown engine, and have been offered a V7 engine at a reasonable price complete with turbo etc, has any one done this before or knows what extra work would be involved if any fitting this engine, including wiring etc
Old 27 November 2004, 04:23 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nuts4cars
Can any one help I have an STiV3 with a blown engine, and have been offered a V7 engine at a reasonable price complete with turbo etc, has any one done this before or knows what extra work would be involved if any fitting this engine, including wiring etc
Can be done, but MEGA complicated and you'll need to be VERY determined. If you are not a competent mechanic with a clear understanding of Subaru; DON'T.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
Old 27 November 2004, 05:21 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Agreed... Deffo not as simple as bolting straight in.

Buy the Ver 7 engine, if it is that cheap... sell it on and buy a recon one from the guy above with the money

Rob
Old 27 November 2004, 08:08 PM
nuts4cars
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Guys
Old 27 November 2004, 09:58 PM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up why not......

hi m8

why not buy the engine and fit your heads and bits and bobs to it?
that way you would have a very strong engine! the 7s and 8s are strong,
is it a sti? you could then sell all the bits that were left over!

jvs in edinburgh www.powervehicles.com have just done this with one of davids engines!

cheers robin.
Old 28 November 2004, 10:16 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its an AVCS v non-AVCS engine, you need much more than just the engine to get it to work, id find another phase1 STi engine (v3 again) or have the engine rebuilt.

Tony
Old 28 November 2004, 11:16 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by robinH20MRV
hi m8

why not buy the engine and fit your heads and bits and bobs to it?
that way you would have a very strong engine! the 7s and 8s are strong,
is it a sti? you could then sell all the bits that were left over!

jvs in edinburgh www.powervehicles.com have just done this with one of davids engines! cheers robin.
Good idea but not without some reservations;

The piston crown shape on V7 is not really compatible with the cylinder head 'squish' shape of the v3. lt'll work; but can /might cause hot spots in the burn area that might increase the chance of detonation.

Ideally a decent remap should sort out that issue, but it might still be a problem area.

There is a similar problem waiting to jump out and bite people using the 2.5 EJ257 short motor in early WRX's - I have heard one or two horror stories from reliable sources re. the exact issue above.

Good luck David APi Engines / APi Impreza.

PS, l like TweenieRob's idea best
Old 28 November 2004, 01:29 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

It can be done because we have done it Everthing mechanical bolts up but the fun is in the wiring. You will also need the engine loom from the version 7 and the ECU. additionally you will have to make a loom from the ECU to the Engine loom connector.

Alternatively, remove the AVCS of the version 7 engine and use fixed position WRX cam gears and block up the oil feed holes that feed the AVCS solenoids that you wont need.

Conrad
Old 29 November 2004, 09:15 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Conrad_Bradley
It can be done because we have done it Everthing mechanical bolts up but the fun is in the wiring. You will also need the engine loom from the version 7 and the ECU. additionally you will have to make a loom from the ECU to the Engine loom connector.

Alternatively, remove the AVCS of the version 7 engine and use fixed position WRX cam gears and block up the oil feed holes that feed the AVCS solenoids that you wont need.

Conrad
Like I said: Can be done, but MEGA complicated and you'll need to be VERY determined. If you are not a competent mechanic with a clear understanding of Subaru; DON'T.

Old 29 November 2004, 09:30 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Conrad, i like the way you say 'we' have done it... we as in who exactly?

Alternatively, remove the AVCS of the version 7 engine and use fixed position WRX cam gears and block up the oil feed holes that feed the AVCS solenoids that you wont need
Dont you mean and then get the heads worked to run the early manifold? or did you forget about the idle control system and TPS? Oh yeah and then get the manifold lenghthened to fit the heads...

I would much rather spend 5k to fit a ver 7 engine than just get a replacement from the likes of David @ API

Rob

I do disagree with the 257 stuff though, rework of the phase one heads works very well on the engines i have done.
Old 29 November 2004, 10:45 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

[QUOTE=tweenierob]Conrad, i like the way you say 'we' have done it... we as in who exactly?

Dont you mean and then get the heads worked to run the early manifold? or did you forget about the idle control system and TPS? Oh yeah and then get the manifold lenghthened to fit the heads...

I would much rather spend 5k to fit a ver 7 engine than just get a replacement from the likes of David @ API Rob

I do disagree with the 257 stuff though, rework of the phase one heads works very well on the engines i have done.[/QUOTE]

Rob, The problem is that people are trying to just bolt early heads on as-is.

Also YHPM.

Old 29 November 2004, 04:34 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by tweenierob

I would much rather spend 5k to fit a ver 7 engine than just get a replacement from the likes of David @ API

Rob

I do disagree with the 257 stuff though, rework of the phase one heads works very well on the engines i have done.

Rob, we as in my partner and I.

never suggested using an early manifold.... Why mess about with the early manifold and TPS, Idle control. Its a version 7 engine, use the correct version 7 manifold & sensors then no messing about if you use the "engine loom" as I outlined above.

I never suggested it was the best route to do the Version 7 full engine idea and to be honest we wouldnt particularly want to do another and would recommend buying the appropriate replacement engine from whoever has the best deal .

Last edited by The Fixer; 01 December 2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 30 November 2004, 01:59 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Dont take this the wrong way Conrad...

Please read your words carefully

And i quote Ahem cough lol

Everthing mechanical bolts up but the fun is in the wiring. You will also need the engine loom from the version 7 and the ECU. additionally you will have to make a loom from the ECU to the Engine loom connector.

Alternatively, remove the AVCS of the version 7 engine and use fixed position WRX cam gears and block up the oil feed holes that feed the AVCS solenoids that you wont need
I and others (most likely) read this as...

Everything mechanically bolts up, engine loom needed to then chassis Loom.

Alternatively, scrap the AVCS and you wont need the above ie. engine loom etc.

So, i wondered how you would control the ver 7 idle valve with the early ecu, where the ecu would take it tps closed signal from, tps wiring in fact...

Apologies if i alone read it like that

Also, IMHO it would take approx 5k for someone to retro fit a ver 7 engine to a early car (inc supply), it is approx £1800 for an engine from API and say £500 to fit (i am cheaper )

A much better option IMHO.

The tone of your post made it sound like it was easy 'look at me i have done it' etc.

I am very tired and may need to take back some of this in the morning lol

Rob
Old 30 November 2004, 08:23 AM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by tweenierob
Dont take this the wrong way Conrad...

Please read your words carefully

And i quote Ahem cough lol

I and others (most likely) read this as...

Everything mechanically bolts up, engine loom needed to then chassis Loom.

Alternatively, scrap the AVCS and you wont need the above ie. engine loom etc.

So, i wondered how you would control the ver 7 idle valve with the early ecu, where the ecu would take it tps closed signal from, tps wiring in fact...

Apologies if i alone read it like that

Also, IMHO it would take approx 5k for someone to retro fit a ver 7 engine to a early car (inc supply), it is approx £1800 for an engine from API and say £500 to fit (i am cheaper )

A much better option IMHO.

The tone of your post made it sound like it was easy 'look at me i have done it' etc.

I am very tired and may need to take back some of this in the morning lol

Rob

Apologies if it read like that (with a tone) but I did say later I wouldnt want to do it again, not without being paid lots anyway. What I was trying to say was that if you dont want the AVCS use the fixed position WRX cam gears, block the oil feed lines to the AVCS solenoids up BUT you will still need all the version 7 wiring and inlet manifold sensors, ECU etc for the easiest Version 7 solution
Old 30 November 2004, 10:55 PM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

Red face hi calum!

hi m8,

i was looking at your car today!! its coming on nice!!

see you soon if you get a pass off your island!!

cheers robin.
Old 01 December 2004, 03:11 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

OOps...

Rob
Old 01 December 2004, 05:39 AM
carlos_hiraoka
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Good idea but not without some reservations;

The piston crown shape on V7 is not really compatible with the cylinder head 'squish' shape of the v3. lt'll work; but can /might cause hot spots in the burn area that might increase the chance of detonation.

Ideally a decent remap should sort out that issue, but it might still be a problem area.

There is a similar problem waiting to jump out and bite people using the 2.5 EJ257 short motor in early WRX's - I have heard one or two horror stories from reliable sources re. the exact issue above.

Good luck David APi Engines / APi Impreza.

PS, l like TweenieRob's idea best
David,

So far I have been able to test two different setups, one is an STi ver 7 shorblock (EJ207) with STi ver 4 RA heads and parts ..... we used the stock STI ver 4 RA thick headgasket which resulted in a tad less than 8:1 CR. This engine is used with rather high boost and performs very well.

The other setup is a STi ver 8 shortblock with STI ver 8 headgaskets with STi ver 4 RA heads, this resulted in 8.5:1 CR (aprox.) and it is used on a rally car, so dunno if it is the race gas, but it performs quite well, no extra det can be felt when compared to the 9:1 CR we used before.

Carlos H.
Old 01 December 2004, 01:23 PM
Thunderlips
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have removed my posts from this thread, I have spoken to Conrad and we have settled our differences, I am happy with the outcome.

Callum W
Old 01 December 2004, 02:30 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Lets hope the damage hasn't already been done....

Rob
Old 01 December 2004, 03:04 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by carlos_hiraoka
David,

So far I have been able to test two different setups, one is an STi ver 7 shorblock (EJ207) with STi ver 4 RA heads and parts ..... we used the stock STI ver 4 RA thick headgasket which resulted in a tad less than 8:1 CR. This engine is used with rather high boost and performs very well.

The other setup is a STi ver 8 shortblock with STI ver 8 headgaskets with STi ver 4 RA heads, this resulted in 8.5:1 CR (aprox.) and it is used on a rally car, so dunno if it is the race gas, but it performs quite well, no extra det can be felt when compared to the 9:1 CR we used before.

Carlos H.
Carlos, Thanks for your input. Your information is exactly what we tell our customers. Version 4 upwards heads are better for squish than the early hydraulic tappet WRX type OR the Version 2 heads with their short valves and small 'top hat' tappet shims.

I seem to remember that there was some strange mod that Prodrive did on the squish area of their cars around this time to alleviate some of this problem. In fact a machine shop guy in our village has a mandril or template on how to do it. No use on a road car because the competition engines work through a restrictor for the turbo and almost nothing is any use because of the low RPM's.

But it's nice to know there is consensus of opinion rather than being a lonely voice in the wilderness.

Nice to hear peace has broken out in this thread too !!

Good luck all David API Engines / APi Impreza
Old 01 December 2004, 03:10 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Talking

As Callum posted, its sorted.

Just like to thank David for the assistance given to Callum and myself