Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch problem. Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2004, 08:21 PM
N500OBY
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem. Help needed

Right the car is 1998 wrx sti import. Had a new gearbox a few months back and ever since, the clutch never seemed right. On many occasions the clutch would not fully release after changing gear and so you would have to bring it back up with your foot. Also the clutch would make a sort of ticking noise like it was catching on something when it was not fully released. I also got a lot of judder when pulling away in 1st and when reversing (not sure if this is normal or not?)
So number 1: What was causing the above?

Also the gear stick itself was getting a lot of vibrations through it. If you were doing high revs and went to change gear (e.g. 50-60 in third and then go to fourth) it would sometimes not go into gear or sometimes grind the gear.
Number 2: Why was this?

Finally tonight I was just travelling along almost home, changed gear, but upon releasing the clutch, the pedal went straight back down to the floor. Initially i thought the clutch cable had snapped (not sure if it has one or if it is hydraulic?). Anyway cruised back into my driveway and stopped the car. When the car had stopped I pulled the clutch pedal back up with my foot and with the engine off the clutch is normal. So I started the car back up and put it in reverse and it was ok. Put it in 1st and it was ok only untill the clutch had almost fully released, and then it went staright back to the floor. Turned the engine off and pulled the pedal back up and it was ok again. It would appear that the clutch is ok untill the pedal is almost fully released, and just before it is fully released you can hear a little click and it is straight back down to the floor.
So number 3: What has happened now? Do i need a new clutch or is it something else like the release bearing?

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks Simon.
Old 06 November 2004, 08:41 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a fault on the clutch cover?
Maybe they damaged the fingers on the clutch cover putting the gbox back in..
It also sounds like its not clearing fully which could also be the clutch cover..
Check the hydraulics first make sure they are working ok ie:air in system clutch slave cylinder sticking..also see if the springs on the clutch arm
Just a matter of elimination

Originally Posted by N500OBY
Right the car is 1998 wrx sti import. Had a new gearbox a few months back and ever since, the clutch never seemed right. On many occasions the clutch would not fully release after changing gear and so you would have to bring it back up with your foot. Also the clutch would make a sort of ticking noise like it was catching on something when it was not fully released. I also got a lot of judder when pulling away in 1st and when reversing (not sure if this is normal or not?)
So number 1: What was causing the above?

Also the gear stick itself was getting a lot of vibrations through it. If you were doing high revs and went to change gear (e.g. 50-60 in third and then go to fourth) it would sometimes not go into gear or sometimes grind the gear.
Number 2: Why was this?

Finally tonight I was just travelling along almost home, changed gear, but upon releasing the clutch, the pedal went straight back down to the floor. Initially i thought the clutch cable had snapped (not sure if it has one or if it is hydraulic?). Anyway cruised back into my driveway and stopped the car. When the car had stopped I pulled the clutch pedal back up with my foot and with the engine off the clutch is normal. So I started the car back up and put it in reverse and it was ok. Put it in 1st and it was ok only untill the clutch had almost fully released, and then it went staright back to the floor. Turned the engine off and pulled the pedal back up and it was ok again. It would appear that the clutch is ok untill the pedal is almost fully released, and just before it is fully released you can hear a little click and it is straight back down to the floor.
So number 3: What has happened now? Do i need a new clutch or is it something else like the release bearing?

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks Simon.
Old 07 November 2004, 10:06 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a quick fix to this issue. You can search '911' and go back about 10 months and read all about it.
will email you tonight, in a real rush now!
Old 07 November 2004, 08:03 PM
N500OBY
Scooby Newbie

ok 911 i will wait for your e-mail.
Taking the gearbox/clutch out tomorrow so very much appreciate your help
Old 07 November 2004, 10:29 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a day! No wonder people don't use trains!

Right, the 'pedal-down-clutch'
Keep it simple:
Remove the clutch slave off the transmission, you'll be doing this anyway!
Remove the rubber boot and the short pin/shaft.
With the exposed piston pointing skywards GENTLY press the pedal to bring the piston to the open end of the cylinder. Remove piston and the conical helical spring.
Stretch the spring to be about 50mm long (careful) and put it all back together, BUT, press the piston fully into the cylinder, clamp in place, and bleed the system via the nipple in the usual way. Replace the boot/shaft.
That should/might work.
If not, stage 2:

Remove the brake pedal from the underside of the dash! On top of the pedal assembly is a pair of springs, about 30mm long and 20 in diameter, one inside the other. Carefully remove. They can be under tension so careful.
Replace the lever withoput the springs. This mod WILL fix the pedal problem, but the clutch action is a bit tougher, about 10% so.Also the start of the pedal travel is 'wooly' but everything works.
If that doesn't work then there is a stage 3 and it's more involved. You must check that the 2 dowl pins (8mm dia and 20 long) are still located between the bell housing and the engine, if one is missing, that will be the problem. This all happened to me!

Good luck, email if you wish. 911
Old 09 November 2004, 09:58 AM
N500OBY
Scooby Newbie

Think i may have found the problem. On the release bearing there are two metal clips either side which the fork which holds the clutch in slips into. One of these clips had actually broken off. I have ordered a new bearing which should arrive tomorrow and hopefully this will solve the problems i have had. Not sure how this would stop the clutch pedal coming up but will have a good look around when putting it all back together to make sure nothing else has happened.

Thanks Simon.
Old 10 November 2004, 12:18 AM
280scoob
Scooby Newbie

hi mate i wouldnt just replace the release bearing if you have the money replace the whole clutch thats what i did and it cost me dearly as my clutch went a month after i fitted the new bearing

Trending Topics

Old 10 November 2004, 12:33 PM
N500OBY
Scooby Newbie

Yeah i only had the clutch put in it about two months ago, so i think the metal clip got snapped off then. Obviously the clutch has hardly been worn in those two months so i am leaving it in and just replacing the bearing. Cost me £50 delivered for a new bearing. Just got to put it back together now and hope that it fixes all the problems as i dont want to be taking it out again.

Thanks. Simon