Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

banging clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2004, 11:47 AM
scoobyguy22
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile banging clutch

when i have my car in gear and i let the clutch out to the bite point i get a knocking sound coming from under the car. the harsher you let the clutch out the harsher the knock is. is this anything to worry about or is this just standard for scoobys. I have also noticed a few very small drops of oil running down the clutch peddle nothing bad but a very small amout.I get clutch judder when cold and was wondering if anything has come loss or broken from the judder.

any info greatfull

JO MY98
Old 07 September 2004, 11:53 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

I would get the car on a lift & visually inspect to see what is knocking, Could be the exhaust , Etc but would check for piece of mind, as for the oil on the clutch peddle , it will be brake fluid, sounds like your clutch master seals are on there way out

Dean
Old 07 September 2004, 12:09 PM
scoobyguy22
Scooby Regular

noticed the oil from when i got the car 2 years ago but has not got any worse. same for the banging noise i took it to subaru and they checked it over. but said it was fine. can someone try it on there scoob for me as i dont know anyone else with a scoob to compare.

put the car in gear on the flat hand brake off. let the clutch out till it bites then just let off and move the pedel in and out on the bite point sharply allmost as if you wanted to stall the car. do you hear a knock???? or anything else?? or nothing??

if somone can check there scooby for me that would be a very great help to trying to pin point the problem.

cheers again JO MY98

ps getting the veilside kit fitted tomorrow. cant wait...
Old 07 September 2004, 12:48 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Ravensblade Impreza website and under modifications go to Drivetrain and look at the Rear Subframe Bushing Kit which is apparantly

...A writeup on the installation of the Whiteline Subframe Bushing Kit, which is the cure to rear end "clunk".

Dunno if this is your prob but worth a look
Old 07 September 2004, 07:31 PM
Manners
Scooby Regular

Scoobyguy22 i seem to have the same clunking sound just as the clutch engages but not noticed any oil going to ask about it when it goes in for the 20k sevice in Dec. Thats on a52 wrx.
Old 09 September 2004, 05:52 PM
scoobyguy22
Scooby Regular

looked into it a bit more its seams that when it makes the noise the exhaust moves around underneath allot this could be what it is as there is no cluck if the clutch is let off smoothly.

manners cheers for trying that out mate.

ps cars gone in for the full veilside kit to be fitted and is hopfully going to be ready for me to pick up 2moz or monday. i will get some pics of the car when its done and try post them up here.

cheers again guys dor the help.

JO
Old 09 September 2004, 09:06 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a clutch replaced some years ago on an MY97 and the centre support for the prop shaft was never done up properly. As the two bolts came undone then I got a lot of banging as the prop tramped up and down.
Perhaps check if its easy to move the propshaft at the support point?

Nick
Old 10 September 2004, 11:10 AM
blue haze
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butty
I had a clutch replaced some years ago on an MY97 and the centre support for the prop shaft was never done up properly. As the two bolts came undone then I got a lot of banging as the prop tramped up and down.
Perhaps check if its easy to move the propshaft at the support point?

Nick
this could be loads of things and could be more than one....

this type of clutch engages much more abruptly (very short biting point) than a standard car so will make more of a clunk when engaging.

top mounts of suspension knocking (if they are worn) as it's jolted into gear

rear diff problem of some kind could cause this

if it aint broke, dont fix it.