Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dump valve 'adjustment' springs ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2004, 08:09 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dump valve 'adjustment' springs ?

Can anyone explain the purpose of the adjustable springs/shims that are available for forge (and I guess others) dumpvalves.

I've just replaced the OEM plastic re-circ unit on my 98MY Turbo with a forge re-circ, primarily because the plastic one had started to weep slightly.

I 'understood' that the valve is controlled by the inlet manifold boost pipe, so cannot see the purpose of the adjustment springs ?

Also, can anyone with one of these confirm the metallic noise on valve operation (I assume that this is because it is metal, rather than plastic ?)

Cheers,

Mark
Old 07 September 2004, 11:46 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markwild
Can anyone explain the purpose of the adjustable springs/shims that are available for forge (and I guess others) dumpvalves.

I've just replaced the OEM plastic re-circ unit on my 98MY Turbo with a forge re-circ, primarily because the plastic one had started to weep slightly.

I 'understood' that the valve is controlled by the inlet manifold boost pipe, so cannot see the purpose of the adjustment springs ?

Also, can anyone with one of these confirm the metallic noise on valve operation (I assume that this is because it is metal, rather than plastic ?)

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,
the shims are to increase spring load to keep closed pressure on the valve to stop fluttering on light throttle lift off , I.e pulling up to traffic lights on overrun & then it dies / wont tick over because of leakage.

As for the Metallic noise sorry cannot help , don't have a forge

Dean
Old 07 September 2004, 12:03 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Dean - thanks - I'm not entirely sure why the springs are necessary though (sorry..)

OK _ I think I need to find out how they work first . I thought that the D/V flowed air when the pressure in the airflow side (e.g. in I/C) was greater than the pressure on the manifold side . So when the throttle is shut, the D/V releases the 'unused' pressure.

I've noticed that I get a strange effect when I partially lift, but leave positive boost on (e.g. at the end of a slip road, when joining a dual carriageway) - I guess this is because the inlet manifold pressure drops, allowing the D/V to open, but then the pressure in the i/c drops below the pressure in the manifold (which doesn't happen in a closed throttle situation), so the d/v snaps shut - so setting up a slight 'flutter'. - Is this the situation you describe ? (I've not had any tickover issues...)

If the spring is increased, does this increase the 'resistance' to open, i.e. the pressure differential required between the manifold and i/c sides of the D/V ....

Or am I talking complete twaddle ???

Mark
Old 07 September 2004, 02:23 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markwild
Dean - thanks - I'm not entirely sure why the springs are necessary though (sorry..)

OK _ I think I need to find out how they work first . I thought that the D/V flowed air when the pressure in the airflow side (e.g. in I/C) was greater than the pressure on the manifold side . So when the throttle is shut, the D/V releases the 'unused' pressure.

I've noticed that I get a strange effect when I partially lift, but leave positive boost on (e.g. at the end of a slip road, when joining a dual carriageway) - I guess this is because the inlet manifold pressure drops, allowing the D/V to open, but then the pressure in the i/c drops below the pressure in the manifold (which doesn't happen in a closed throttle situation), so the d/v snaps shut - so setting up a slight 'flutter'. - Is this the situation you describe ? (I've not had any tickover issues...)

If the spring is increased, does this increase the 'resistance' to open, i.e. the pressure differential required between the manifold and i/c sides of the D/V ....

Or am I talking complete twaddle ???

Mark
No twaddle there, In short, if you are having problems with tickover & stalling when approaching lights/ junctions then the shims etc should be fitted, If not don't bother & as you say this increases resistance to open (making it stay closed on overrun etc)but only marginally

Dean
Old 07 September 2004, 06:39 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mate - I'll stick with it as it is then.....

Mark
Old 07 September 2004, 10:24 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

The metallic noise is normal btw ... my forge recirc does it too..

Steve
Old 08 September 2004, 08:08 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steve

t.b.h. I'm going to do some tests with the 2 valves, as the oem one does seem to handle the job better - I just need to prove its not leaking .
Old 13 September 2004, 02:03 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

hmm - and in fact the oem one is back on - anyone want to buy a forge recirc dump valve ?

Mark