Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wrx sti alloy intercooler

what sort of gains would i likely to see if i put the above on a my 98 uk turbo
Old 12 July 2004, 11:41 PM
stevie boy
Scooby Regular

if your thinking of an i/c from a classic? then absolutely nothing (unpainted and an sti sticker) they are 99% the same as far as i could tell when i did the same on my old MY00. one has a slight recess for clearance. although i stand to be corrected.

the newer ones have a bigger i/c, although its not a straight swap, but i don't no owt about this swap so hopefully someone that does will post

stevie
Old 12 July 2004, 11:57 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

If you mean an sti5 i/c, then as long as it's fitted with the alloy 'y' piece instead of the naff plastic standard type, you should notice slightly less pressure drop, equivilant to approx one pound of extra boost on my MY00.
If you're feeling adventurous, an sti8 i/c will fit...you'll need the brackets, bov, and the sti8 clutch cylinder as the standard one is in the way. You'll also have to cut the outlet short ( where the throttle body hose fits ) so that the back of the i/c clears the bulkhead. Or you could save yourself the bother and buy the 02 wrx i/c that's currently sitting in my garage looking for a new home....bigger than standard, less aggro to fit than the sti8 type!
Old 13 July 2004, 12:00 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The later straight UK top mount may well fit, if yours is the slanty version, if modded - move dump valve position, alter under TMIC pipes, shorten outlet pipe and throttle body inlet, maybe change mounting brackets etc

I bought a STiV one for my jap WRX MY94, that was already modded, and it IS a tight fit.

For the price, if you are thinking of serious modding then go for a front mount intercooler, like the Hybrid at £500 ish ... the modded STiV's and 2000 UKs seem to be about the £280 mark.
Old 13 July 2004, 12:03 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You asked about gains, I over looked that bit.

Depends if the TMIC is your limitation at the moment .. if it's not then little or no gains!
If you need better cooling of the inlet charge, or a more free flowing inlet thru the TMIC then ok, these will work.

Only gains will be to prevent det, a little power from a cooler charge, and ability to increase timing and / or boost a bit as you now have some headroom in the induction system!
Old 13 July 2004, 11:06 AM
stevie boy
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=micared]If you mean an sti5 i/c, then as long as it's fitted with the alloy 'y' piece instead of the naff plastic standard type, you should notice slightly less pressure drop, equivilant to approx one pound of extra boost on my MY00.

i don't no about the the MY98 but on the MY00 its not a straight swap between the standard and an sti v5/6 i/c as far as the pipe work is concerned, i ended up swapping the 2 small manifolds (at least 1 is a different lengh) off the back of the i/c's and kept the samco "y" piece that was on my standard i/c.

i'm not saying its not possible to retain the alloy "y" piece, but measuring, cutting and time scale/cost when waiting for mail order lenghts/angles of pipe to turn up for a trial and error style fitment.

so would you not be better just buying a samco "y" piece?

stevie
Old 14 July 2004, 12:41 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Stevie boy, that wasn't my experience......MY00, removed standard i/c, including samco 'y' piece, and replaced with sti5 i/c, including alloy pipe and attached hose....no other mods required, and I haven't heard of the probs you've had from anyone else. Sure yours is sti 5/6 i/c ?