Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Legacy turbo, sti 6 type ra gaerbox?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2004, 03:34 PM
dbrad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legacy turbo, sti 6 type ra gearbox?

I have a 92 Legacy turbo and the gearbox is on its way out, I want to get a good 1/4 mile time in the old girl, would a type RA box be the best bet? would it be a straight forward fit? would I also need the matching rear diff?
gratefull for any help.
Damien

Last edited by dbrad; 09 July 2004 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09 July 2004, 06:30 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Hi

Me and my mate have Legacys, hes fitted an STI RA engine and box to his and it is awesome, It accelerates alot quicker, however when he reaches 112 MPH it is limited, where as he used to hit 145MPh no probs before.

Anyway back to the question, bolth blocks are the same so i think it you bolt up fine, as far as tunnel mountings are concerned then there fine, everything mounted up fine, and yes you will need the diff too, and that bolts up too fine.

Bear in mind if you do alot of motorway miles the gearing may get on your nerves, however your always on the power band and its great for the lanes!

Hope this helps
BTW is it a saloon you have?

Comper100
Old 10 July 2004, 03:34 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

How much was the engine and gearbox? Just out of interest.
Old 10 July 2004, 03:54 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aaquil
How much was the engine and gearbox? Just out of interest.
He did very well to be honest, he paid a grand for STI RA Engine, box diff, and front suspension and brakes! We went up to a guy in birmingham wo had the lot just sat there!

The git! Haha

Comper100
Old 11 July 2004, 01:02 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Hope if he's running that and a standard ECU he's only using Optimax + Octane booster or could be looking at a rebuild soon?

Have considered shortening the gear ratios on mine many a time (yes, if you change the box, you will need to change the rear diff) but I can't get away from the fact that 5th gear on the legacy is so tall that you could run twice the power comfortably and still run sensibly fuel economy for motorway cruising. Perhaps, rather than changing the ratios, you could simply pickup a TD05 and some injectors for under £500, get the standard ECU remapped (again under £500) and have significantly faster car. A good remap will also dramatically improve the fuel economy on the legacy, which is frankly stupid, compared even the impreza.

Oh, and a knocklink is always a reasonable investment IMHO.
Old 13 July 2004, 08:35 AM
dbrad
Scooby Regular

Steve,
I currently have a TD05, induction kit, full stainless exhaust from the turbo back, dawes device, knocklink, uprated walbro fuelpump and pres reg, I am looking at the next step and my gearbox is on the way out. Would I gain alot from larger injectors at this stage? What size should I go for?
Damien
Old 13 July 2004, 10:29 AM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

He's using the STI electrics too, but he always runs on optimax anyway. He even getting anoyed with the gearing, sitting at 80mph on the motorway a 5500 revs gets a little annoying. I just couldn't stick it. Mine does just over 3000 at 80mph and is so nice its untrue. Like Steve says, the economy is so much better too!

Comper100
Old 14 July 2004, 05:31 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Wink

Larger injectors, coupled with a remap, (and a better MAP sensor) should see you with 300bhp, mate. The limit is going to be your charge temps, as you don't have anything other than the factory charge cooler. Remapping the standard ECU is a bit of a select process, but someone like Pavlo (on here) should be able to do it for significantly less than £500.

Alternatively, you could buy an aftermarket ECU. But that's serious dollars.

The standard maps in the legacy really are pretty dire, so you need to be changing them. If you were to significantly uprate your chargecooling (faster pump, insulated pipes, larger Charge Radiator at the front and a nice big water resevoir tucked away somewhere, then you should be able to get to the stage where the gearbox becomes the limit.

The RA ratios really are going to be a bit short for a legacy, especially as I suspect this is probably a fast daily driver and not a dedicated track car. I'd suggest maybe an STi box (shorter, but not silly-short) or something similar.

Again, if you have £££, the lateral gearset is meant to be a very good set of ratios.