MY97 Engine sounds like a bag of bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2004, 07:44 PM
Douglarse
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy MY97 Engine sounds like a bag of bolts

Hi all,
neebie to this site although owen my scoobie for a number of years. And i am in need of some help, advice and maybe some of you will have a little laugh at my little tale i am about to tell.

I had to take my turbo MY97 off the road as had split with my ex, and the money was not around to service tax and MOT. (she wanted all the bank balance and got it. ) So it stood on my drive for around 4 months, only getting started every now and again.Without any problems i might add.

This week i thought i would get the car back on the road and even treat it to a brand new set of tyres, and a loving valet from top to toe, even giving the battery a charge too , checked the oils and water etc.

Because the car was off the road for so long, i gently, very gently started it up, and waited for it to warm whilst only idling before taking it do the filling station for fuel, i had no problems what so ever starting the car, and it sounded as good as ever. Even brought a big grin to my face.

Drove the car around for i would say 20 miles, and still sounded great. Although i was still very gentle with it. Only little use of the power.

The next day drove it for the tyres which was around 15 mile round trip, around half a mile from home as pulling away from traffic lights i noticed a sound the filled me with panic. A knocking sound, that you can hear as the revs reach about 3000rpm, and increases as revs do, till drown out by its roar. When idle its quite as could be. Seems no loss of power at all.

The sound is very tricky to describle, does have a heat plate tink to it, but also sound as if a bolt is bouncing around in side. And it does appear to come from the rear left if looking front on.

As the engine is still running i dont want to drive it anymore than needed just incase i fubar it any more than i may have done already.

The car has 80k on the clock and up untill now was allways serviced on time, and was to be booked in for its 80k service this week.

So as a newbie, what should i do now, and who to call , and where to go. (apart from down the pub and sulk into my beer lol).And how much its gonna make a dent in the bank account. I no its gonna cost, but want my car to go to the best place to be fixed.

I have read loads of post tonight, and i am prepaired for the bad news.

Thanks and regards all that have read this, and replied.

Doug

MY 97 80K and sick
Old 08 July 2004, 08:13 PM
gyfto1
Scooby Regular

could be lots of things,have a check and see if anything under the bonnet has come loose
if it is definitely an engine sound , a man to talk to would be david from api engines
phone number is 01926614522
also say his name on here three times and he will appear
Old 08 July 2004, 08:18 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somebody call me ??

Thanks gyfto again, for the plug.

Douglarse, LOL, give me a call on the number published [ my office ] and l'll talk you through the possibles and the probables. Bad luck if it is a big end, but not the end of the world.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza

Last edited by APIDavid; 08 July 2004 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08 July 2004, 08:38 PM
Douglarse
Scooby Newbie

Default Doug luck strike again.

David David David.

Thanks guys, gonna make that call tomorrow, about 09:01. I did have a look around and poke about abit, but my ears tell me is broke, and my heart tells me its gonna cost.

Does my head in tho, thinking i was doing myself a favor keeping it of the road, while the ex was grabbing all, only to manage to keep the car ,but wreak a perfeckly sound engine by not using it.

DOUG LUCK STRIKE AGAIN. LOL.

Thanks and regards Doug.