Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

possible gearbox trouble

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2004, 10:18 PM
roy m
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry possible gearbox trouble

can anyone help my gears are making a noise when engaging 5th gear it sounds more like an interfearence coming from my radio but does it every time i engage 5th i have no other obvious trouble excect this noise in 5th if anyone has had this problem can you give idea of costs or good garage

Last edited by roy m; 30 June 2004 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01 July 2004, 10:25 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Hi mate,

i'm currently looking at getting a gearbox rebuild. There is a known problem where a nut becomes loose inside the box and (so im told) stops the oil feed to (in my case) reverse. Its like a whining noise, but only in reverse, it just sounds very dry. I have spoken to SGT (subaru dealer in Twyford) and they showed me a bulletin released by subaru themselves, stating that if this problem occurs, its basicly a rebuild and a new nut supplied. the new nut has 4 locking 'bits' on it instead of 2, hopefully fixing the problem. My car is an MY00 by the way. Price of parts and labour with a SIDC membership (10 % Discount) comes to around £1000! I'm interested to hear anyones views on this though too, ie, is this price to high for whats involved?

Cheers

Christian

edited to say, the bulletin says this problem affects reverse and fifth gear
Old 01 July 2004, 04:18 PM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

anyone with any more ideas?
Old 01 July 2004, 06:01 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Yeah, you CAN just pop the back off an retighten it. I did mine and it lasted another 2 years before anything went nasty.
Old 02 July 2004, 10:28 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

what exactly did go nasty after 2 years of doing this mate?

Cheers
Old 02 July 2004, 11:19 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

Turbo Steve,

i've been told i need the following parts, as per the serviuce bulletin:

sleeve and hub assembly
gear set - fifth gear
ring - baulk
locking nut
locking washer
gasket

are u saying u simply used the new nut?

Thanks,
Old 02 July 2004, 05:59 PM
roy m
Scooby Newbie

where excactly is this nut and how easy is it to get into
Old 02 July 2004, 06:59 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

yep pretty much you can don't even need to take the gearbox out of the car. the people who had to pay coz they were out of warranty usually say "just put the nut on and see there was no noises before" so quite a few i have just used a new nut BUT if it undoes to far it will cut the oil feed to fifth and reverse and you will then need all of the above.
Old 02 July 2004, 08:26 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scoobyboy,
Any chance of a sort of rough guide on how to do the job, I've done loads of car/engine rebuilds before, (mini) but not touched scoob mechanicals, other than regular stuff, and gearboxes kinda scare me a bit, mine dislikes going into fifth quickly, crunches a little, is this the same symptom?? doesn't whine though.

part no for the bolt and gaskets needed would be a massive help too!!

Cheers.

Ron.
Old 03 July 2004, 03:38 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

dead easy to do first of all drain the gearbox and then remove the prop and centre part of exhaust to give easier access then support the gear box and remove the crossmember it sits on, remove the gearlinkage and knock out the roll pin that holds the gear u.j on to the selector rod. undo the ring of bolts that hold the back end casing on and gently tap it free there may be a gasket here as well. you should be able to see the centre diff now unless it came out with the back end casing, so just slide this out and the drop gears as well. then unplug the neutral switch and reverse light switch on the side of the gearbox, remove the next ring of bolts and tap the centre part of the casing away again there may be a gasket here some do some don't . you will now see 2 shafts 5th gear is the top shaft which you will probably notice the nut is undone! being a dealership we have a special tool that goes over the splines on the bottom shaft because as you tighten up the nut it will turn the bottom shaft and you can't tighten it but if you put it in gear maybe with the brakes on it might work.
i can't remember the torque off the top of my head but will get it for you monday along with the part no.s for any gaskets if you need it send me a pm sunday night.
then just rebuild in reverse it takes a couple of hours and remember when you remove the centre casing look inside and check the plastic oil guide you will know it when you see it and make sure it's not been cut. if you get stuck let me know.
Old 03 July 2004, 06:25 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Scoobyboy,
Do you think that the slight crunch I'm getting when shifting into fifth at speed could be due to this nut??
If so, I guess I'll be playong under the car fairly soon, I don't need it to get much/any worse!!

Cheers.

Ron.
Old 03 July 2004, 10:13 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

to be honest the only problem i have seen with a loose nut is popping out of 5th gear. they don't make any noises usually that seems to be more of a synchro problem which i think there was a bullitin on try asking your dealer for any info, i'll look as well if i can.