Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

broken scooby

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2004, 10:33 PM
type R boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken scooby

picked up my new scooby P1 yesterday. later on i noticed that the exhaust was blowing but there didnt seem to be any power loss. But today the car became very sluggish, whaen i stopped to check the exhaust had split just after the bulge before the back box. will this have caused the sluggishness? will it cause any more damage? will it be ok to weld, untill i have enough readys to upgrade?

any help greatly appreciated

type r boy
Old 27 June 2004, 11:07 PM
p@ul
Scooby Regular

Take the ****** back and tell em to sort it m8!!!!
Old 27 June 2004, 11:15 PM
steve_g
Scooby Regular

A blowing exhaust shouldn't cause the car to be sluggish.

Are you running it on Optimax?
Old 28 June 2004, 12:14 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree, take it back ... not fit for purpose ( not road legal if blowing ) and was most likely doing that when you bought it.

For a P1 ALWAYS use good high octane fuel, like Optimax ( and possibly booster too! ) to keep engine fine. Remember, it's based on a jap STiV ( IIRC ) and may be fragile on UK fuel despite the UK remap by Prodrive or whoever.
Old 28 June 2004, 04:06 PM
type R boy
Scooby Regular

thanks for replys, but i cant take it back i have got it cheap of one of my dads friends (£14000) and other than the exhaust the car is mint serviced every 6000miles by scooby main dealer and has every reciept for every bit of work carried out.
gonna need a new exhaust any way know just had the break welded for the time cause im goin away for a couple of weeks soon, and its completly shot. any suggestions on what type to go for, get an O.E fitted or go for an aftermarket jobby?

trb
Old 28 June 2004, 05:11 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

thanks for replys, but i cant take it back i have got it cheap of one of my dads friends (£14000) and other than the exhaust the car is mint serviced every 6000miles by scooby main dealer and has every reciept for every bit of work carried out.
That does sound cheap for a P1, unless it's done a lot of miles? You'd normally expect a good condition P1 with say 30/40,000 miles on the clock to go for more like £18k.

They are right above, a blown exhaust anywhere backward from the downpipe shouldn't make any difference to the performance of the car.

When you say 'sluggish' do you mean just not quite as quick or does it feel rough? How does it idle? Is it smoking?

Also, take heed of vulnax999's words, do not take any chances with the fuel in these cars.
Old 29 June 2004, 06:32 PM
type R boy
Scooby Regular

The car had done 55470 when i picked it up? so not too many.

trb
Old 30 June 2004, 01:08 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

So what bit's busted exactly? Mine broke on the middle section as it connects to the rear section. The flange was still bolted to the backbox. Looks like it corroded around the welds and eventually gave way.

If it's the middle section, a straight through will cost £60+ or a resonated Subaru or say Magnex will cost around £120+. If you're lucky, you can get an STi BB for around £50.

You might need new nuts, bolts, springs for the front spring joint and a half doughnut gasket. You may well need nuts, bolts for the mid/BB joint too.

If you have access to ramps, you can reverse the car onto them to inspect or replace the zorst. Bit cramped at the front end though.

J.