Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

KnockLink Behaviour & Detting

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2004, 11:04 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KnockLink Behaviour & Detting

I have just installed a KnockLink & sensor on my STiV and I have been driving this car for nearly 2.5 years now fairly hard with no apparent engine faults .... the sensor is set to max sensitivity and is located as in this piccie
http://stefanostadal.homedns.org/ima...ge/step3_b.jpg

Can someone indicate if the following behaviour is a sign of the engine detting or offer an alternative explanation please for the amber lights in second (such as would a particularily noisy gear cause this??)! I do not myself detect any abnormal engine sounds ... With WOT in each gear this is what I get running UL 98 RON:

First: 2 green (to red line) 12 psi boost
Second: steady progession to to 2 amber (to red line) 15 psi
Third: single green (occasional second green) (to red line) 15 psi
Fourth: single green (not red lined) 15 psi
Fifth: single green (not red lined) 15 psi
Reverse: Aint tried it

Cheers
Paul
Old 22 June 2004, 11:47 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi mate,

I get one green to 6000 then a flicker of a second at 7000, never go beyond that. I had a few probs when I got car as had full de-cat and a re-map on a 98 STI 4 is difficult to find to say the least. I put 1st cat on and it stopped the det probs and now get above readings. Is your car mapped for 98 ron, if not are you using booster ? If not I suggest you do.
Old 22 June 2004, 11:57 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, it would seem likely that your problem is related to 2nd gear - as in the actual gear itself . It's a pretty common one to 'go', and it may just be being a bit noisy...
On maximum sensitivity, I'd rate 2 green as quite acceptable (if the installation of the knock sensor is good/in the right place), one green as safe, amber as 'look into it' (except it's probably gear noise!).
The only way to really tell is with cans, but seeming that your 3rd/4th/5th is very quiet, it seems likely that all's ok... although, again, if you're feeling paranoid, nothing beats a quick session with det cans on
Old 23 June 2004, 12:31 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My (Link ECU) car had a freshly rebuilt engine when I got it two years ago and I never got any lights and had to get the sensor (which was on Max sensitivity) checked.

Over time I started getting one green at about 4200rpm in fifth (still at Max sensitivity), which actually turned out to be background engine noise as the engine was then about 12000miles old..

I had remap for more power gains (boost/advance) last year where detcans were used and I still have no det, although I now sometimes get two greens in third at around 7000rpm.