Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Uh oh!!! Gearbox time!!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2004, 08:51 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh oh!!! Gearbox time!!!

Just went to go out in my car (had been standing about 30mins) and with foot fully on the clutch it wouldn't go into ANY gear!! Felt like if you try to put it into gear without the clutch down.

Lifted off clutch and back on and then it went into gear fine. Driving about it "stuck" in gear a couple of times, a declutch and back on and it was ok.

PLEASE tell me its something cheap, i am SO skint atm

Andy
Old 16 June 2004, 08:57 PM
Paul_H
Scooby Regular

Could be a bit of heat soak to the clutch fluid after standing. Try changing the clutch fluid?
Old 16 June 2004, 09:10 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

That sounds more like it!!! I'll try that!
Old 18 June 2004, 12:09 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
Felt like if you try to put it into gear without the clutch down.
What exactly do you mean by this? You could feel the gears whirring and whining as you tried to put it in? If so, it's definitely the clutch not disengaging properly. Did the pedal feel the way it normally does, or was it noticeably heavier or lighter? Did the gearstick feel the way it normally does -was the lateral transition as free and full as it normally would be?

Lifted off clutch and back on and then it went into gear fine. Driving about it "stuck" in gear a couple of times, a declutch and back on and it was ok.
Will be easier to comment once you've answered the questions above, but the good news is that it sounds like the clutch (or most likely the hydraulic system) rather than the 'box itself. Have you checked to see if there's still plenty of fluid in the clutch reservoir, as air in the system is probably the likeliest cause.

Could also be heated fluid as Paul suggests, but you'd have to have been giving it a fair bit of stick and not cooled the car down properly before turning it off. Do you have turbo and downpipe heatshields all present and correct?
Old 18 June 2004, 12:13 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
What exactly do you mean by this? You could feel the gears whirring and whining as you tried to put it in? If so, it's definitely the clutch not disengaging properly. Did the pedal feel the way it normally does, or was it noticeably heavier or lighter? Did the gearstick feel the way it normally does -was the lateral transition as free and full as it normally would be?
Well it moved about freely up laterally, and up/down to the point where it would normally "notch" into the selected gear. There was no feeling of cogs.

Will be easier to comment once you've answered the questions above, but the good news is that it sounds like the clutch (or most likely the hydraulic system) rather than the 'box itself. Have you checked to see if there's still plenty of fluid in the clutch reservoir, as air in the system is probably the likeliest cause.
If its just this i will take it to subaru next week, but i don't want them trying to (with their prices!!!) do any gearbox work! Incidentally the clutch has only done about 17k (motorway mainly) miles.

Just also remembered, a few weeks ago i was accelerating hard up a hill in second, went to go for 3rd and the clutch stuck down. All was fine afterwards though.

Thanks for your help.
Old 18 June 2004, 12:17 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
Well it moved about freely up laterally, and up/down to the point where it would normally "notch" into the selected gear. There was no feeling of cogs.
Ah, that's a different kettle of fish altogether. Let's get this absolutely straight:

Scenario: You're trying to select first gear.
You depress the clutch pedal and move the gear to the left and up
What exactly did you feel through the gearlever, and what (if any) noises did you hear?

Just also remembered, a few weeks ago i was accelerating hard up a hill in second, went to go for 3rd and the clutch stuck down. All was fine afterwards though.
You say the pedal stayed down? Take it the clutch stayed disengaged as well? How did you get it back, did it sort itself out or did you put your foot under the pedal and pull it up?
Old 18 June 2004, 12:26 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
Ah, that's a different kettle of fish altogether. Let's get this absolutely straight:

Scenario: You're trying to select first gear.
You depress the clutch pedal and move the gear to the left and up
What exactly did you feel through the gearlever, and what (if any) noises did you hear?
goes left start to go up but then its like there is nowhere for it to go upwards. No noises whatsoever. Didn't feel anything other than the gearleaver not wanting to go upwards.

You say the pedal stayed down? Take it the clutch stayed disengaged as well? How did you get it back, did it sort itself out or did you put your foot under the pedal and pull it up?
I believe it came back up slowly, i may have pressed on it again or something (i was trying to go round an island by this time). If by disengaged (sorry i'm not very mechanically minded) you mean like i was pressing the pedal, yes that was the case.

cheers

Trending Topics

Old 18 June 2004, 09:04 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Default Update

Drove about last night, and although changes didn't feel fully as smooth as expected (this may be because i get too used to my commuter), the previous problems didn't show.

Been out for a while tonight and it felt perfectly fine.
Old 18 June 2004, 09:45 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Interestingly my 2nd gear has started to develop a similar problem

Basically changing down from 3rd to 2nd, its like I cant move the lever down into 2nd, no noise, no crunching, clutch pedal feels fine, it will however eventually go in, (wonder if on mine its the selector itself, not that I have too much of a clue in the gearbox dept.)

If i boot my car, the clutch does stink somewhat, and on a run down to Reading a few weeks back, after being in stationary traffic for a while, i no longer had any play in the clutch pedal, and was harder to depress, but once moving in free traffic that particular problem disappeared

Now I have this prob in 2nd, and sometimes going into 1st too
Old 18 June 2004, 09:54 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

air lock in the clutch lines?

is the return spring attached from the clutch pivot arm?
Old 18 June 2004, 09:58 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Will check in the morning now

Clutch fluid was replaced 10k miles ago (allegedly) too, but since fitting PPP, I have been a bit more enthusiastic with my driving
Old 18 June 2004, 10:15 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

ahh PPP ecu, that would be another thing i need
Old 20 June 2004, 04:30 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sid, I had this on my My 1999 UK Turbo. Took it to my dealer (Andrew Burt, Solihull) who bled the clutch, re filled with Dot 5 fluid and alll was well untill the car left me about 40K miles later!
The journey I was on was right into the middle of birmingham in the morning rush(?) hour. Lots of tick over, creep in/out of gear, all very hot etc. on a sunny day too!
Worked perfectly on return home, 8 hours later.
Fluid changed as a precaution.
Old 20 June 2004, 05:02 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Cheers gonna try get it in next week!