Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

How does MY98 UK ECU cope with...

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2004, 05:31 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does MY98 UK ECU cope with...

MY98 engine - standard
TD05/06 20G
TSL 3" open neck decat downpipie
titanium centre and backbox
K&N 57 induction
Stock Intercooler
Walboro 255l/h fuel pump
FSE adjustable FPR, set up at 3.2 bar on idle
480cc injectors
Apexi AVC-R, set to 1.1 bar
Run on Optimax

I'm having Andy F map the car with Apexi
Power FC hopefully in a few weeks. The
turbo is going on Monday after next. Will it be
safe for a week or so without remap? Should I
stay off boost?

The other thing I am concerned about is the
clutch not coping with the power, so I should
start looking into replacing that soon... it's
never ending!

Thanks
Keigo
Old 13 June 2004, 07:51 AM
GBruce
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi,

My car is going to be a similar setup to yours, just wondering what level of boost you will decide to run, 1.4 bar?

George
Old 14 June 2004, 12:34 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I'm thinking of running low boost, around 1.2 or 1.3 bar, until I get a new gearbox sorted. Then it's a different story
Old 14 June 2004, 12:50 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this - and to see how much torque/power the car has after the map....

My 98 UK has TSL 3" D/P and full system, TSL Up-pipe, K+N 57i, Hybrid FMIC and Power Engineering Re-map board. Currently still on TD04 and stock injectors (380s). I've just received a Walboro pump and FSE FPR, so I'll be fitting in the next couple of weeks....

I'm looking to go 440s and TD05 - so should be similar except the mapping and front mount.....

I've noticed it lean out slightly at higher boost in 4th and 5th, since the FMIC, hence the pump, but boost is currently set to 1.2 bar with the PE remap.

What sort of figures are you expecting ?

Oh - and have you asked Andy F. re: the standard ECU ?

Mark

PS _ Meant to add - I had an uprated clutch and bearing fitted a month ago - much smoother and should be able to stand the increase (Though the original covered 80000 miles !)

Last edited by markwild; 14 June 2004 at 12:52 PM. Reason: remember'd clutch
Old 14 June 2004, 01:07 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark

i can't get hold of Andy at the moment. Tried calling him a few times in the last day or 2, but he must have his phone switched off... try him again later.

As for the expected figures it's down to mapping, and how far you want to push. I decided on TD05/06 20G instead of TD05FE, not for higher power, but because I can get the kind of power I can with TD05FE at a much lower boost. Initially, I'll probably stick to about 1.2-1.3 bar boost at mid range, should be good for 320 plus horsepower. Once the new gearbox is sorted (either JDM GDB-C 6 speed, or STI3 type R or ST5 5 speed), then I'll probably go for another remap, perhaps slightly more lower to mid range torque, but no higher boost at high rev range.
Old 14 June 2004, 01:26 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Where did you get the 440s and TD05 from ?

I must admit, I'm tempted to try and limit myself to 330 tops (Which I'm hoping it would make with the above).. Still running the standard box, and the car's done 115000 miles (!), and doing 2500-3000 a month currently, so needs to stay together.

Last time on the rollers, it was running 280bhp/262 lbs, so I'm sure a shove up to 320bhp/300+lbs would be noticible -

I guess the tricky thing is knowing when enough is enough - (Yeah, right ...)

I guess I'm a bit concerned at spending a load of dosh on a remap, only to want another to turn it up two/three months later

From other info I've seen on here, its pretty conflicting - lots of people say you need a remap when replacing the turbo or injectors, some even when fitting FMIC, but Rich Wild runs uprated TMIC, TD05 on the standard ECU and get >350 brake ! (I've even read re-maps recommended for de-cats)

It would be interesting to really find out what members have actually experienced.

Personally, I didn't find a remap necessary when changing anything so far. I have found, however, that the remap makes the most of the parts, but thats a) to be expected and b) logical.

That said, I have found that the boost and AFR won't run quite as they did in high gears since the FMIC fitment, but I'm hoping that the fuel pump/reg will sort that - it may be the fuelling system, rather than the ECU - Cos I get max AFR for a second, as though the fuel rail is not holding pressure for long...

In theory, I suspect that if the engine doesn't knock and the boost/afr aren't 'odd' that its OK - In the good old days, I'd map a carb'd car myself, looking at the mixture (with a glass topped spark plug) and listening for det, by changing the needle (length/width/taper), but it's not so easy now I guess.....

Cheers,

Mark
Old 14 June 2004, 02:03 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

Good old carb tuning My old 205 with twin webber... stunk of fuel all the time, no-one dared stand next to it with a *** in their hand :0 LOL

Like you say, it's a matter of knowing what's enough... one thing after next in tuning, really, isn't it!
Old 14 June 2004, 10:47 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Interesting. I have an MY98 with VF23 turbo, 57i induction, full decat, APS FMIC, Walbro pump, FSE regulator set @ 3 bar, Samco inlet, GruppeS headers and standard ecu... Boost is controlled by an HKS EVCIV and I also have a Knock Link and AFR meter. I am currently running 1 bar of boost and it's fine, any more and the Knock Link starts to wake up. I have had it like this for a while and the only drawback is 'stuttering' at the top end during gear changes when driving enthusiastically due to it overfuelling (I'm told) and that's borne out by it running better at 3 bar of fuel pressure than it does at 3.2 bar. I have a set of 550 injectors to fit along with a Power FC but the standard ecu will not handle the bigger injectors. I can't make any recommendations but this is my own experience. Hope this helps.

Raymond
Old 14 June 2004, 11:37 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

if your not getting mapped before the 4th july i can tell you what the power will be like as im getting mine rolling roaded that day, similar setup execpt i have a custom TMIC and soon to be bigger injectors,
if your worried about your gearbox and you are going to go for stronger why not put a new clutch in then

just remebered there is someone who tried to run a tdo5/o6 turbo on 440 injectors and the original TMIC and it didnt work as they couldnt get enuf fuel in , sure its uk99
Old 15 June 2004, 09:13 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Raymond, I'm surprised you're getting knock on 1 bar with a fmic - what level is the kl getting to / at what revs ?

Could be due to the standard ECU timing being incorrect I guess - What AFR reading do you get at WOT in 4/5th above 4000 rpm ? (Though I assume its high, judging by your 'overfuelling' comments)

Any idea what power you're getting ?

Stevebt - I thought 440s were good for 350+ ? - Had this td05/6 /440/ car been fitted with an uprated pump ?

Cheers,

Mark
Old 15 June 2004, 05:00 PM
GBruce
Scooby Regular

Mark,

My car should be mapped within about a month (98 uk car)

FMIC
550's
Gruppe-s
TD05/05 20g
Power engineering MY98 Ecu board 1.4 bar

I can let you know how I get on if you want

George
Old 15 June 2004, 05:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Stevebt - I thought 440s were good for 350+ ? - Had this td05/6 /440/ car been fitted with an uprated pump ?
yes his car has all the toys on and he has even managed to max out 740cc injectors now
Old 15 June 2004, 08:21 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

George - I'd be Very Interested.... Seems like the power figures for this type of spec vary wildly... Not sure why ?

Seems that standard TMIC and TD04 max out around 280/280, but TD05s seem to give anywhere between 300/280 and 350/330.....

Can only assume its the difference in the supporting mods...

I notice that Rich Wild is running 386/317, whereas the '96 on jap-innovations (with fmic) is running 356/348 !!

Stevebt - yours is an example - I believe you had 'only' 290 lbs when you went to a td05 ? What else did you change at the same time (e.g. remap/injectors?) and was it much of an improvement > (Err - Trying to get back to the original thread a bit..)

PS - George - are you still running the UK g'box ?

I'm afraid I'm having one of those 'is 50 bhp and 40 lbs/feet going to make much difference' moments....

Mark
Old 15 June 2004, 08:49 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Stevebt - yours is an example - I believe you had 'only' 290 lbs
that was with ecutek its a totally different car now that i have a power fc fitted as mine runs 1.6 bar of boost midrange on a custom tmic but as of next week the car will have a tdo5/6 turbo fitted and will be mapped again on 3rd of july expecting the boost to lower but keeping similar acceleration
Old 15 June 2004, 09:06 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
that was with ecutek its a totally different car now that i have a power fc fitted as mine runs 1.6 bar of boost midrange on a custom tmic but as of next week the car will have a tdo5/6 turbo fitted and will be mapped again on 3rd of july expecting the boost to lower but keeping similar acceleration
Hmm - I think that the Power Engineering board is an Ecutek software system....

What advantage do you think that the new turbo will give > Obviously more air for lower boost, but is that just a flatter torque curve solution, or is there more to it ?

Also, what bhp/torque are you getting at the moment ? (Can I smell a TD05 going spare soon )

Mark

Last edited by markwild; 15 June 2004 at 09:32 PM.
Old 15 June 2004, 09:07 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by keigo
FSE adjustable FPR, set up at 3.2 bar on idle
Is this with the fpr vacuum attached or detached matey ?

Ta,

Mark
Old 15 June 2004, 10:08 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markwild
Raymond, I'm surprised you're getting knock on 1 bar with a fmic - what level is the kl getting to / at what revs ?

Could be due to the standard ECU timing being incorrect I guess - What AFR reading do you get at WOT in 4/5th above 4000 rpm ? (Though I assume its high, judging by your 'overfuelling' comments)

Any idea what power you're getting ?

Mark
Mark,
I'm not getting knock at 1 bar but I was at 1.3 bar. The headers were the last mod to be fitted and it's only since then that I've had knock at all. I had the red light flash two or three times at high revs on WOT so I turned down the boost to be safe until the ecu and injectors are replaced. The AFR reading is the top green (the richest reading on the Lumenition meter that I have) at WOT. Also, I use Opimax all the time. I haven't a clue what power I'm getting but it has a fair old kick - and much more at 1.3 bar
Old 15 June 2004, 10:21 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

Mark - 3.2 bar with vacuum, mate. Looks like there are quite a few MY98s running TD05 an power FC. Cool.
Old 16 June 2004, 10:18 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chaps...