Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox problems on a MY03 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2004, 06:43 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gearbox problems on a MY03 WRX

Has anyone with the MY03 WRX had any gearbox problems? a friend of mine bought one new last year, and it has been back 3 times so far as the synchromesh packs up, the gear box has been rebuilt 3 times, and the flywheel, clutch etc has been replaced, and now, the gearbox is on it's way out again, so we're now wondering if this is a manufacturing fault, dodgy gearbox rebuilders or other.
The car isn't thrashed to buggery, and he hasn't tried doing doughnuts like a rep has said from a main dealer, the dealer has already said that it's a one off problem and no one else has come in with gearbox problems, but so far, we've found 3 people who has!!
Old 10 May 2004, 10:31 PM
deano555
Scooby Regular

Red face

Picked mine up brand spanking new last july, unable to get fith gear without an almighty crunch. Went into have new fith gear and synchro, was very upset with the dealer for not picking it up on pdi, and with subaru for their customer care aproach. But still love the car and it was fixed first time by the dealer and has been fine ever since.
Hope this helps.
Deano
Old 11 May 2004, 10:03 AM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

I was having problems with 5th when mine was new. Apparently the newage cars only come with a half filled gearbox (perfectly normal and recommended by subaru according SGT). I took mine to SGT and they overfilled my gearbox and i've not had the problem since.

One thing i do notice is that its a bitch to try and get it into first unless the car is at a complete standstill. Even if i'm still rolling slightly, when warm, the box will crunch hideously if i try and engage first. I dont know if this is a Subaru 'feature' or just my car.
Old 12 May 2004, 10:14 AM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

frenchboy, my gearbox (JDM MY96 WRX) does that too first is a nightmare to engage when rolling along, no matter how slow, but fine when at standstill
Old 28 September 2004, 08:16 AM
ac427
Scooby Regular

Default 3rd to 4th grief

My MY03 WRX SL with PPP gave me grief after 10,000 miles from new.

i could not change from 3rd onto 4th above 40mph with out a crunch.

took it back to dealer and they could not fit me in for a week saying don't worry just do not take it above 5000 rpm. Anyway they replace the 3rd and 4th gears and syncro's and no problem since.

i was told by the subaru engineer that it is more common for the 5th gear to give trouble

its still not much cop at getting in 1st or 2nd when cold. And even after half an hour of driving while slowing for a junction with clutch on the floor rolling into 1st gear i hear a grating sound sometimes.

so where's all this bulletproof reliabilty i have been hearing about ?

Personally i think the gearbox is to slow for a car as quick as this.
Old 28 September 2004, 10:56 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

A common technic over here is to add about 300-400ml extra gearbox oil, it helps on changing smoothly gears, I am going to do it in my next gearbox oil change (WRX03) as it seems little tight after 30K kms on the clock!
JIM
Old 28 September 2004, 06:04 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

My MY03 WRX has done 22500 miles now, and although i aint had any trouble so far, i can see what you mean about the first gear though! The way i drive out of my work's car park mean second gear, but i need first for some speed humps, this is a pain as i am at a standstill to get the ****a in! lol.
But i dont really see it as anything that bothers me really. I just hope idont get the other gearbox problems then!
Old 28 September 2004, 07:50 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

My previous MY00 had much better gearbox (or at least feeling)!
JIM
Old 28 September 2004, 08:10 PM
rally colin
Scooby Regular

We have rebuilt about 8 sti 7 and 8 6 speed boxes mainly with a syncro fault on 5th and 6th gear. the selector fork gets damaged. the result being poor gear selection and worn syncro's. We are now installing a modified fork to overcome the problem.
Old 28 September 2004, 09:07 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rally colin
We have rebuilt about 8 sti 7 and 8 6 speed boxes mainly with a syncro fault on 5th and 6th gear. the selector fork gets damaged. the result being poor gear selection and worn syncro's. We are now installing a modified fork to overcome the problem.
What's the cost Colin if the GBox is out of the car ? You can PM me if you prefer.

Mark
Old 28 September 2004, 09:59 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

My MY04 WRX has just had a new gearbox, clutch, flywheel and starter motor for similar problems.
Old 28 September 2004, 10:15 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

ive also had a brand new gearbox a couple of months ago due to the syncro going in 3rd/4th 3 times also its a fault with the casting of the box apparently....
Old 28 September 2004, 10:22 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

To be honest though I don't think the new gearbox is any better.....................not that I am bothered as I have just partexd it for a Legacy Sports Tourer !!
Old 28 September 2004, 10:24 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

touch wood i havent had any troubles yet.....although its about to get a bit of a power hike put through it.....but if it gives up....then 6 speeder here we come