Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Whining Noise From Front End

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2004, 10:53 PM
Scottdot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining Noise From Front End

Typical car gets traded in tomorrow, coming home from work today and I notice a whining noise coming from the nearside front end, It starts about 20mph all the way up and is consistent with road speed rather than revs or gearing, it seems to get louder when freewheeling out of gear.

Any ideas what it is, I'm hoping its a wheel bearing or drive shaft something fairly simple, rather that gearbox or diff problems?

Would appreciate any suggestions before the saleman tries to rip the **** tomorrow by suggesting it need a new gearbox and takes £2K off my trade in price.

Cheers

Scott

P.S Bloodly Cars, 2 years of trouble free scoobying and it goes pear shaped on the last day.
Old 21 April 2004, 02:46 PM
SuperFlyGuy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing?

Originally Posted by Scottdot
I notice a whining noise coming from the nearside front end, is consistent with road speed rather than revs or gearing, it seems to get louder when freewheeling out of gear..
More than likely the wheel bearing. You have eliminated the gearbox by free wheeling in neutral

Originally Posted by Scottdot
Would appreciate any suggestions before the saleman tries to rip the **** tomorrow by suggesting it need a new gearbox and takes £2K off my trade in price..
If car is being traded in tomorrow then presumably they have done all the checks before? If thats the case they will probably not test drive it again. I would play it cool