Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

HELP EXHAUST QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2004, 10:36 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP EXHAUST QUESTION

I am in the proccess of changing a split up-pipe on a 93 wrx . I have removed intercooler and removed down pipe have tried to undo the five 14mm nuts , 3 have come off but 2 have rounded and can't remove them for the life of me , I have removed all pipes to turbo ,oil and water ,undone the two turbo brackets and other boost lines, can i lift the turbo off with the up-pipe still attached if i undo it from the headers . Will it come clear of car or does the up-pipe have to be removed downwards .Any help much appriatiated . Can i re-use any of the gaskets or should i replace all i am also going to port headers while everything is off the car .Also when re connecting turbo does oil line need to be primed ? I have booked tommorrow off work to help speed things along .

Many thanks

Mark
Old 18 March 2004, 07:45 AM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Anyone please ?
Mark
Old 19 March 2004, 08:59 PM
scooby daz
Scooby Regular

how did you get on m8
Old 20 March 2004, 10:28 AM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Managed to undo up-pipe from headers and undo turbo brackets and then found one last bolt under turbo this took 30 mins to get off as no access .Turbo then lifted off car with up-pipe attached hacksawed nuts off in a couple of minutes if only you could do this insitue on the car .Removed headers as well and ported them out i now see what people mean by them being restrictive there was a large step between exhaust flange and gasket took about 30 mins to grind it back with air gun.Have put back together now used old gaskets as they did not look too bad used exhaust paste as well just to make sure , just got to fit a 2000 spec intercooler now need to remove inlet on inlet manifold and trim it back about 8mm to make room for intercooler hopefully will have car back on the road again today .Must admit the exhaust was a nightmare to get off and took about 8 hours in total with a large selection of tools i now understand why people pay so much for this job to be done .

Mark
Old 20 March 2004, 01:16 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Hello M8,

Hows it going? Luckily when I changed my headers including up-pipe I didn't have any problems associated with the nuts rounding. Saying that though when I changed the downpipe the most inaccessable nut to get to had been rounded so I know where you are coming from. Hope the installation of the TMIC goes smoothly well worth the aggravation though

Cheers
Old 20 March 2004, 09:56 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Hi Delboy top mount now fitted , what a tight fit it was , even with the brackets and hoses cut to fit thanks to you it took a while to fit , had to hammer flat the bulk head and remove about 10mm off inlet on manifold and even then it still only just squeezed in .Have just got to mod the intake scoop bit that directs the air to the intercooler , am looking forward to seeing how the car now goes as the up-pipe was blowing badly should be a bit better now with the new up-pipe , ported headers , larger intercooler , It has taken some time to do but it is satisfying when you do it your self and tell the misses how much you have saved in labour charges. Will let you know how it all goes tommorrow.

thanks

Mark

PS Hope the knee is coming along now .
Old 20 March 2004, 10:48 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thats excellent news M8 You should notice the difference The TMIC fitting is a little time consuming but is considerably better than the standard slanty fitment but as you said it is a tight fit. Will be interested to hear how the car drives now
The knee is gradually getting better thanks

Cheers
Old 22 March 2004, 01:29 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

How does it drive now m8
Old 22 March 2004, 06:45 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Alot better full boost now by 3000rpm , feels alot quicker more torque , like driving a different car just wish i had changed the blowing up-pipe 6 months ago just kept putting it off , that changed with the ported headers and the larger intercooler (thanks) has transformed the car . Also re-set ecu at first it kept boosting up to 1.2 -1.3 bar and so hit fuel cut which is about 1.15 bar with the scooby ecu i have after driving car for about half an hour it has learnt to boost to about 1.15 but still goes to 1.2 sometimes , have cleaned out solenoid valve but it still wants to go to 1.2 bar so hits fuel cut , will try cleaning solenoid again but don,t know wheather it is because of the mods i have now done , what do you think , would a fuel cut defender help , do you think i can run more boost now with the larger intercooler , i don,t have a knocklink only a AFR which shows blue ?

Mark
Old 22 March 2004, 11:03 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

YHPM M8