Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Anyone else have a chirping exhust?

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2004, 12:52 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Anyone else have a chirping exhust?

Anyone else have a chirping exhaust?

MY53 WRX started “chirping” (in a WRC type stylie) from the exhaust 2 days ago.

Rev the engine passed 2500/3000 (when it’s warmed up) and it chirps a couple of time as the revs drop.

I’ve had it into my local dealer (Westaway, Northants) and they said it’s nothing to worry about (so I’m not).

Just wondered if anyone else has the same “quirk”?

Cheers,

Rich

STD MY53 WRX (No after market waste gate value fitted)
Old 06 March 2004, 02:11 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Are you sure the chirping is coming from the exhaust?

It's the turbo that chirps on a WRC car, and you can make a roadgoing Impreza make exactly the same noise by removing the dumpvalve and blanking the connections.

If the noise is obviously coming from the rearward end of the car, it's presumably a loose heatshield or baffle in the exhaust, which isn't a worry per sé, but it's still something you should get sorted as your car is under warranty.

If, however, the noise sounds exactly like a WRC car's chirp and is (or may be) coming from under the bonnet, you should go back to the dealer and ask them to take another look. It is a faint possibility that the dumpvalve may have jammed shut, and if so there may be implications for the longer-term life of your turbo that, again for the benefit of the warranty, may be better investigated sooner rather than later.
Old 06 March 2004, 02:26 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Hi Greasemoney,

Thanks for the info. The sound is definitely coming from the exhaust. I’m having some work done on the car in the next couple of weeks (Prodrive spring kit fitted) so I’ll ask them to have another look at it then, but I’m guessing that the exhaust systems isn’t cover by the warranty? I’ll check the warranty status when I call on Monday to book the work.

I’d intended to have the spring kit fitted when it goes in for its 10k service (couple of months), but I also found out today that the front nearside shock it leaking oil. It never rains but it pours, I guess! At least that’s a warranty job and it should make the spring installation cheaper.

Thanks again.

Rich

Last edited by Bullring; 06 March 2004 at 02:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06 March 2004, 03:06 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Wear to the exhaust system isn't covered by the warranty, but manufacturing defects are. If it's already falling to bits on a car that's at most six months old, I'd be back at the dealers bitchin' and moanin'.

Your car's a 2003 model year car (aka "MY03") BTW, not an "MY53". 53 is the just the registration prefix, the model year is the physical specification the car is built to.
Old 06 March 2004, 03:17 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

the chirping is the trim on the tailpipe '9 ball' had the same problem the cure is to knock the trims on a smidge further to do that take them off and file the lip down that the tail pipes butt up to then put them back on and tap them on a little further that should cure it.
Old 06 March 2004, 11:34 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - much appreciated.