Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

exhaust - my03 sti

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2004, 10:15 PM
paul_wrx_sti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust - my03 sti

what have you got fitted? im planning replacing the standard one but can't decide what to go for.
Old 04 March 2004, 10:25 PM
PC555
Scooby Regular

H&S Afterburner Vortex ...... lovely

Old 04 March 2004, 11:18 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

give us a clue, do you want big and bold or one the missus will be happy with

if you want big, I swapped a tsl firestorm for a hks hiper, looks far better, you get what u pay for

The best I have ever seen was on a guy who posts on here called BL, some super light weight thing he imported from japan (full system), and it didn't seem to have a back boxs mmmmmmmmm what a sound, im sure he will inform you what it was as i can't remember the name
Old 05 March 2004, 09:08 AM
paul_wrx_sti
Scooby Newbie

the firestorm and the afterburner vortex are the ones ive been looking at. what didnt u like about the firestorm?
Old 05 March 2004, 09:24 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a Blitz NUR Spec on mine....sounds lovely!

Here are some pics from other peoples cars (not got any shots of mine yet )

Last edited by SirFozzalot; 05 March 2004 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05 March 2004, 10:34 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by paul_wrx_sti
the firestorm and the afterburner vortex are the ones ive been looking at. what didnt u like about the firestorm?

I've got some pictures here http://82.68.33.30/subaru/tsl-firestorm/, just ignore the Swedish text .

I really like the sound of the firestorm, it's sometimes a bit loud (but certainly more quiet than the blitz) and at 290 quid it's a bargain. Build quality on my system was alright, but not exceptional (there were some scratches on the actual damper, but you can't see them when the system is mounted).

The sound is deep with the Firestorm at tick-over and low revs, up to about 2500rpm, but then it changes frequency (obviously, because the revs are different) and at 4000rpm+ on boost it sounds absolutely lovely In the blackwall and dartford tunnels it sounds like a jet aircraft taking off

It certainly gave the ***** back to my car anyway and I'm very happy with it (and TSL are nice to deal with).

Also, off boost driving on the motorway/A-roads it's not too intruding at 70-80 in top gear (not that I ever do 80 on our roads, of course).
Old 05 March 2004, 10:48 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I only have the Blitz Backbox rather than the full system (NUR spec R) and on a recent meet some measurments were taking with a dB meter. Not exactly controlled conditions but the firestorms among us (some de-cats though!) were about the same +/- 1dB with my Blitz on tick-over and held at 4k revs.

I personally don't think there is alot in it volume-wise between them, sometimes I think the Blitz is louder and then another time I hear a Firestorm and I think that is louder!

At the end of the day, I preferrred the look of the Blitz as you don't see the smaller hole inside the tailpipe as you get with the Firestorm. Each to there own though. I think both are great exhausts and I don't think you would be dissappointed with either!
Old 05 March 2004, 10:57 AM
Charlie WRXSTI
Scooby Regular

My exhaust was from Disco so not really sure what it is but here is pic.

I was at the same meet as Sir Fozz and dB meter was 101dB at 4000 revs, its a full de-cat
Old 05 March 2004, 11:42 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
At the end of the day, I preferrred the look of the Blitz as you don't see the smaller hole inside the tailpipe as you get with the Firestorm. Each to there own though. I think both are great exhausts and I don't think you would be dissappointed with either!
I do agree about the looks bit The blitz is stunning. How much did you pay for your backbox?
Old 05 March 2004, 11:46 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Henrik - Got my backbox second-hand from someone on here who was splitting their car to sell.

Only a few months old and I paid £220.00, £150 off the price of a new one. I am well pleased with it, no scratches or dents, looks new!
Old 05 March 2004, 12:10 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

i found the firestorm stuck out to far (still good quality, main reason i swapped was it sounded really bad with my el headers), if i was just after a back box,I would go for the blitz

the HKS hiper only comes as a cat back system but does look the business think as far as performance goes the hiper will be hard to beet as it is so streight
Old 06 March 2004, 12:46 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just remembered Bl's was a buddy club full system, another one to look at is the 5Zigen Miracle Fireball Exhaust

Both these are LOUD, and expensive but quality full systems

some thing to think about, is the police can pull you over and get you to remove the exhaust if they deam it to be to loud - My old firestorm would shake the house if you started it up in the garage

now you ve thought about it, go get the loudest one you can find
Old 06 March 2004, 06:19 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

Without a doubt.....go for the latest technology.....Afterburner Vortex
In one word....Awesome