Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

P1 gearbox death

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2004, 07:42 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy P1 gearbox death

Couldn't find anything on search on this ("P1" is too short for search ) so thought I'd ask on here.

The gearbox on my P1 seized up today and I waved goodbye to the car on the back of a low loader

Basically, I was driving along pretty slowly, 40-50mph, down a narrow country lane I know well. Met some traffic coming the other way so backed up to a passing place (single track lane). Once he'd gone by I pulled away and changed up into second. Coming down a slight hill towards a village, 30mph ish, I changed up to third but it wouldn't engage. Thinking I'd just fluffed a gear change I tried again but still no joy. Tried to then get back into second but it wouldn't engage. I kept the clutch in and coasted into a side road.

There was no "graunching" or other noise from the 'box at any time. With the clutch depressed at a halt the car ran and idled fine. If I bought the clutch up the car would lurch forward, ie. stuck in gear. From this I surmise that it's the gearbox at fault and not the clutch (release or something). Left it a while but still no joy. The gear lever would move from side to side in neutral but there are effectively no "gates" in the gearbox to engage gear.

Anybody experienced this before? I know P1s do seem to have a history of eating gearboxes; if yours has, was this the same mode of failure?

The car is a W reg, 38000m. Never been on a track. Suffers from quite bad clutch judder when cold. Never been subjected to real abuse - no launches or stuff like that (wouldn't know how!)

The car's with Tileys now and fortunately I extended the warranty before it ran out last June so I should be covered
Old 13 February 2004, 07:52 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My gearbox packed in a couple of weeks ago. Only lost 3rd gear though.
Thank god for an extended warranty.

Chris
Old 14 February 2004, 11:32 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Question

Agreed on the extended warranty!

Judging by the number of replies, perhaps it's not as common as I thought?

Anyway, whilst the car's in bits is it worth me getting an uprated clutch? Something like an AP Organic one maybe?
Old 14 February 2004, 01:18 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Will the Subaru extended warranty allow the uprated clutch. You know what they're like for mods, even if it's to the benefit of the car

Stefan
Old 14 February 2004, 07:36 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

I believe its standard practice to examine the clutch when any work is done on the gearbox. Mine was examined, and found to be OK (despite the clutch judder). If there's something wrong with the clutch, they should replace it. Don't think you will get away with upgrading it though (unless its a Subaru or Prodrive part, and you pay the extra cost).

Roll on Monday, brand new gearbox and hopefully no more problems.

Chris
Old 14 February 2004, 07:46 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Simon,
Sorry to here this, hopefully it's not due to something that you fitted recently eh!!
Anyway, the fact that you said the car moved when you raised the clutch would make me think that the linkage has come undone, hopefully anyway! if it would seemingly engage no gears, but the car moved when clutch lifetd surely it's still in gear??

Hope it's fixed soon, let us know what it is.

Ron.
Old 14 February 2004, 10:04 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Ron - lol
It might be the linkage I guess. The clutch does still work, as you say I can move the car with clutch depressed. This is what makes me think that something inside the gearbox is knackered. If it was the linkage then surely the gear lever would have more movement other than side to side in the neutral position?
Dunno - hopefully it's something easy but I suspect not; it was Friday 13th after all!

As for an uprated clutch, I know it wouldn't be covered but warranty, just thought it a good opportunity to fit some decent bits I'll speak to the dealer on monday...
Old 14 February 2004, 11:24 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Gulp! I don't like the sound of that....
Only the two things to go wrong with the P1 then, the engine and gearbox!
Think I'll get mine a lucky rabbit's foot ASAP.

Jeremy.
Old 15 February 2004, 10:49 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Chris
How long has it taken them to sort out/repair your car then?
Old 16 February 2004, 09:39 AM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

Was in for a week. They changed 3rd and 4th gears, but still didn't fix the problem. 3rd doesn't engage at all.

Its in today for full gearbox replacement.

Makes a total of about 3 weeks from when I first reprted the problem.

Chris