Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine Overheat

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2001, 12:37 AM
MDavenport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My MY98 Terzo had its 3 year service last Friday and the Subaru dealer forgot to connect the radiator fans properly afterwards. Anyway, I was stuck in traffic and noticed that steam was coming out of the bonnet vents and that temp gauge was at the 'H' mark - so I pretty much straight away switched off the engine and allowed to cool down a bit before moving - incidentally, I got laughed at by two lads in a Nova (what an insult - if only it had of been running!!). My dealer came out and connected the hoses and filled up the radiator, it seemed to have lost a lot of water (maybe 4 pints or so)... Anyway its off back down the garage in a bit to be checked over..

My questions are:-

1. What damage could it have sustained (it appears to be running OK, however I seem to get a few more pop's and bangs when dipping the accelerator to about 3500rpm in neutral)?

2. How would I tell if there were any problems. (the fans cut in now just slightly over the centre of the temp gauge)?

Answers are much appreciated..

Thanks
Mark
Old 02 October 2001, 01:45 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Good news is that it happened in traffic, so the temp rise will have been progressive and when the engine's under no load. Also you caught it before it boiled dry. From that, I would reckon there's very little chance of bore or turbo wear, as they are not being stressed.

The one weak spot would be the head gaskets: the heat may have temporarily distorted the joint and caused the gasket to leak.

Was the gauge just entering the red, or all the way up? Just wondering how soon you noticed.

I'd badger the dealer to pressure test the system (they cocked up so they should do it free) and give you completely fresh oil & coolant. Then keep an eye on the coolant bottle for oil drops, and the dipstick & filler cap for mayonnaise.

Hope its OK, good luck

[This message has been edited by brickboy (edited 02 October 2001).]
Old 02 October 2001, 02:06 PM
MDavenport
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your reply. I will get them to check it!!! Just out of interest, how do they perform a pressure test??

The temp gauge was right at the top!! The first thing that I noticed was the smell of the coolant....

Cheers
Mark.
Old 02 October 2001, 07:15 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

subarus dont like getting hot they tend to throw head gaskets out the door a pressure check wont show anything unless it is quite bad to test the head gaskets i find the best way is to give them a brisk run stop and let it idle if the guage starts to go up over half way it needs new head gaskets and a head skim. iv got a 2.5 apart at the mo that had them go and it boiled dry and with that 1 when you turn the engine over with the key there is no compression at all needless to say it needs a new engine
Old 03 October 2001, 08:23 AM
MDavenport
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well its been to the garage now and after a pressure test they say it is OK.

Scoobyboy, I take comments on-board and will also try this test for the head gaskets. When you say a brisk run stop, how many miles / how long for and I take it you mean not a steady drive but also not thrashing it? How long will I need it let it idle for before accepting the test is complete?

I have been driving it as normal since Friday last week (after the incident) and I've not noticed the temp gauge going above half. Do I sound like I have got off lightly??

Thanks
Mark

Old 03 October 2001, 09:48 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The signs seem good. As mentioned before, keep a close eye on oil level & coolant level, and on the fluids themselves to check for oil in the water, or mayonnaise on the dipstick & filler cap.

Best just to drive as normal, keep watching the temp gauge, and if it's OK after a week or two then you're pretty safe, I would think.
Old 03 October 2001, 08:08 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

well i do about 7 miles on my test route varying speeds from 60-80 then back on my ramp give it 3-4 mins just idling if theres no change in the temp gauge then take it as ok.

Trending Topics

Old 03 October 2001, 10:35 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

I had my car split the plastic end cap of the radiator, causing the car to overheat very badly. The only problem I have now is a few oil leaks have sprung up, but most of those seals were due for replacing anyway.
Old 04 October 2001, 09:27 AM
MDavenport
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys..

Took it a run last night about 10-12 miles. Various speeds - up to 100 in places (luckly no coppers!!). Left it to idle at home and temp gauge never moved!!!

Also, puchased some PIAA 100/110 Super White bulbs for main head lights and side lights - they are brilliant - althought I only use them off-road - hmmmmm..

Mark
Old 04 October 2001, 09:34 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sounds good -- should be no problem, then. I think 'cos you caught it before it boiled dry, you've avoided any problems. Normality is restored ...
Old 05 October 2001, 06:48 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

yep sounds ok to me then
Old 30 June 2003, 05:31 AM
nykamikz
Scooby Newbie

I am thinking of buying a 97 impreza L, but the guy says that he changed the radiator but it still runs hot. What could be the problem and is it worth buying. any advice is appreciated. it has 175,000 miles on it too.