Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STi3 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2001, 07:14 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My Sti3 has developed a bit of a misfire; I’ve suffered before from the ‘hitting a brick wall’ overboost problem due to too much oil but this seems to be different. It’s not quite as severe and you can rev through it, but it certainly cuts out briefly before picking up again. It’s most noticeable in top gear when cruising @ about 70-80 then flooring it, it starts off fine, then cuts out, then carries on. I thought it was plugs but having replaced them (30k service), if anything it seems slightly worse. I’ve read about the coil pack problems but would this cause it to cut out completely? When reading about the coil pack before I got the impression that each plug had a coil pack, is the Sti3 different? Is the coil pack the thing on top of the inlet manifold that the HT leads are fed from? If the Sti3 does have a single coil pack then maybe if it’s faulty the engine would cut out. Having said that, it might still be an oil level problem as I’ve recently changed the oil and last time I had to clear the wastegate solenoid and pipes a couple of times before it was cured. Any help welcome.

Kevin.