Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Buying a warranty - Worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2001, 09:56 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the impending purchase of an MY97 Impreza Turbo, I'm in 2 minds as to whether to get it AA inspected or not.
I was having a browse round the Autotrader web site when I happened upon 3 companies offering private vehicle warranties. Only one of the 3 states that they cover Subaru Impreza Turbos and the list of items it covers seems very comprehensive (even the air-con is covered for example)

Now the cost of this is only £215 as opposed to a full AA inspection cost of £250.

It seems to me that buying the warranty would be most cost effective as even if the AA inspection dicovered that the clutch would need replacing in a couple of 1000 miles I doubt it would put me off buying it.

The website address is
Old 23 August 2001, 10:42 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Matt,

All warranty companies try to wriggle off the hook when a claim comes in many examples on this site over past 2 years or so

Have a chat with your local Subaru dealer to see if they will offer a warranty on the car. This will be the equivalent of a standard dealer warranty and will be fully useable if something nasty happens

Regards

Yex
Old 23 August 2001, 08:18 PM
rnr
Scooby Regular

Try these, if you qualify for membership(occupation wise)i'me looking at paying£145
Old 23 August 2001, 10:00 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Question

Try Car Care Plan?

Unfortunately I have never worked in the civil sector so I'd have to pay top whack. Mind you, these seem a little more likely to pay out if repairs need doing if they underwrite all those manufacturer's warranties.

Matt
Old 24 August 2001, 12:22 AM
NDT
Scooby Regular

sorry to shout, but...

DO NOT USE WARRANT HOLDINGS (WHA)

haven't got time to explain fully now, but I had a bad experience, and talked to various dealers etc who backed this up.
Old 24 August 2001, 01:05 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info.

I'm leaning towards Car Care Plan now anyways.

Matt
Old 24 August 2001, 01:52 PM
Spatch
Scooby Regular

Just to back up NDT. Do not use Warranty Holdings.

I also have had a bad experience, and so have others I know.
Old 24 August 2001, 02:20 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Thanks

I'm very, very, very glad I asked before handing over the money.

Once again Scoobynet comes up trumps!

Cheers guys
Matt
Old 25 August 2001, 08:55 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to get a warranty make sure the firm hasn't got a 'GENERAL WEAR & TEAR' clause as this will be the one they use when you say your gearbox has failed and it's done 60,000 miles.

There are a few companies out there that cover wear and tear, but not many. And they charge a premium for it.

It's all very well them telling you what they cover, but you should read the circumstance of cover i.e they will not pay out due to wear and tear, faulty manufactured parts, faulty fitting, failure of parts due to foreign bodies, failure of parts due to no service records i.e CAM Belt fails at 60,000 and you have no prove that it was changed at 45,000 etc....etc....

The best thing you can do is get the dealer selling to put his own warranty on the car (even if only for 6 months) and not one of these insurance warranty schemes.
Old 25 August 2001, 09:03 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to get a warranty make sure the firm hasn't got a 'GENERAL WEAR & TEAR' clause as this will be the one they use when you say your gearbox has failed and it's done 60,000 miles.

There are a few companies out there that cover wear and tear, but not many. And they charge a premium for it.

It's all very well them telling you what they cover, but you should read the circumstance of cover i.e they will not pay out due to wear and tear, faulty manufactured parts, faulty fitting, failure of parts due to foreign bodies, failure of parts due to no service records i.e CAM Belt fails at 60,000 and you have no prove that it was changed at 45,000 etc....etc....

The best thing you can do is get the dealer selling to put his own warranty on the car (even if only for 6 months) and not one of these insurance warranty schemes.
Old 25 August 2001, 04:51 PM
Paul_H
Scooby Regular

One thing is certain: if you get a car inspected by the AA, they WILL find something wrong! The inspection is very thorough even down to measuring paint thickness etc to discover body repairs.

I've had 3 cars AA inspected, and as a result been able to demand that the faults discovered by the inspector be repaired before I bought the car. In each case the cost of the repairs was more than the cost of the inspection. I also asked for and got a written 2 year warranty on some repaired paintwork on one car.

The least you should do is have a used car data check, HPI check etc to check for outstanding finance, mileage check etc

Good luck

Paul_H

Old 27 August 2001, 05:49 PM
LES H'
Scooby Regular

I HAVE A WARRANTY OUT WITH MOTOR WARRANTY DIRECT COVERS EVERYTHING WEAR AND TEAR JUST OVER £300 FOR 2YRS COVER. BEEN WITH THEM FOR 5YRS AT WORK SO IF YOU WANT THE TEL NO III POST IT TOMORROW
LES H'
Old 27 August 2001, 06:48 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by LES H':
<B>I HAVE A WARRANTY OUT WITH MOTOR WARRANTY DIRECT COVERS EVERYTHING WEAR AND TEAR JUST OVER £300 FOR 2YRS COVER. BEEN WITH THEM FOR 5YRS AT WORK SO IF YOU WANT THE TEL NO III POST IT TOMORROW
LES H'[/quote]

Yes please Les!

Matt
Old 28 August 2001, 05:52 PM
LES H'
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Neanderthal:
<B> Yes please Les!

Matt[/quote]

The number is 0800-731-7001 depending on the age of the car you can get warranty for 2 or 3yrs which works out cheaper.

Hope this helps

Les H'
Old 28 August 2001, 06:06 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Thanks Les.

Just found their web site. Very good quote (about 340 for 2 years Gold cover). I've requested a proper quote.

Have you made a claim with them? if so what was it for and how did it go?
One of my biggest fears is having the clutch go after driving it for 1000 miles and then the warranty company saying "ohhh that part isn't covered by the policy, you'll have to pay for all the repairs yourself"

The car I'm getting is a my97 Impreza Turbo, completely standard. Done 48k miles, had the cambelt replaced on it's 45k service. It's got a full Subaru service history to, all at the correct intervals.

Picking it up this Saturday (hopefully - if the finance people pull their finger out! grrrr)

Matt
Old 29 August 2001, 05:51 PM
LES H'
Scooby Regular

mat
I did make a claim 1yr ago on a cavaliar turbo but it was only gummed up sticking valves so no chance only if something was broken, that was before they included wear and tear I'II look in the book and check on clutches I'm sure it all included now

Les H'
Old 29 August 2001, 06:01 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Thanks Les :-)

This ScoobyNet is fantastic. Saved me loads of potential trouble, found me a car, pointed me in the direction of a chap insurance deal :-)

Matt
Old 30 August 2001, 05:35 PM
LES H'
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Neanderthal:
<B>Thanks Les :-)

This ScoobyNet is fantastic. Saved me loads of potential trouble, found me a car, pointed me in the direction of a chap insurance deal :-)

Matt[/quote]

sorry matt Im on holiday as of now forgot to look at schedule when you get your quote ask about clutches!
Old 30 August 2001, 05:37 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

No problem Les.

You've been more than helpful enough already as it is.

Thanks
Matt
P.S. I'll ask about the clutch when I phone :-)
Old 31 August 2001, 10:38 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

In 5 years of trying to get claims approved for customers, we have only ever had two that went through. And none in the past 2 years.

We won't even bother trying now as a claim involves completely disassembling a part which you know to be scrap. If its not totally disassembled the claim will be rejected. If it is totally disassembled, the assessor will normally find something to say it was wear and tear or a design fault or a manufacturing defect... and reject the claim.

Personally I would put my money on a horse. A rank outsider, perhaps even one with 3 legs, would offer similar chances of a return on the stake.