Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Piston slap

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2001, 09:42 PM
ajleslie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm fairly sure that my MY98 is showing signs of piston slap at 35k miles. Having read a few things about the dreaded slap there seems to be a variety of opinions ranging from "oh bugger, you need a new engine" to "not to worry, it doesn't have really have any effect on engine life".

So what I'm really after is evidence, one way or the other. Has anybody had an engine failure directly as a result of piston slap? Is anybody running without problems with a known piston slap? Are mods a good idea on an engine with this problem?

Basically, I don't have much warranty left on the car, and I need to make a decision fairly quickly whether to really push my local Scooby dealer into sorting it out. Please help!

Old 15 July 2001, 09:52 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If you have piston slap, push your dealer to the end of the earth. It's covered under warranty. You don't want to have to pay for it if something goes south.

P.
Old 15 July 2001, 10:45 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

We have got a my98 is there any way of knowing if the work has been done as there is no signs yet but the car has only done 20,000 miles?

Cheers
Andy
Old 16 July 2001, 07:29 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

ajleslie

Call your dealer imediately and get them to book the car in to be checked. Suggest dropping it off to them the evening before so they can hear it cold from start up the following morning.

For more info read my post on this forum

Karlos

Old 16 July 2001, 09:44 AM
ajleslie
Scooby Newbie

Having read a bit more about the dreaded slap (thanks for the info on previous posts Karlos), I'm even more sure that I have it now! Gonna book it into the dealer asap.

I'm not too happy with having just a modified piston fitted though - rather have a new short engine if possible. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but the way I understand it, piston slap is caused by a design fault in the engine, isn't it? I thought that the offending piston is last in the oil circulation, therefore it gets the hot oil, and as a result the piston gradually gets distorted. Is this true, or am I talking b*ll%cks? And if I'm right, how can just replacing the piston fix this problem permanently?

C'mon guys & gals, I need you all to give me as much ammo as possible that I can fire at my dealer!!
Old 16 July 2001, 09:58 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi,

IM used to fit a short block to cure the piston slap problem, but have now developed a revised piston which has a 60 thou overbore to close up the clearances a bit.

This is a perfectly legitimate fix, and worked perfectly for my car. IM won't supply a new short engine - there is no longer any need.

It also has the advantage that you don't have to run in again for 1k, although I wouldn't bounce it off the rev limiter for a couple of hundred miles to be sure...

106Rallye - IM hold warranty and service records centrally, so they should be able to tell you.

Rgds,

Alex
Old 16 July 2001, 07:41 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

alexM i think u mean 60 microns as 60 thou is bigger than most spark plug gaps!
Old 20 July 2001, 12:15 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Yes - I would take them up on their offer to waive the labour to fit the clutch..

At 38,000miles, it probably hasn't got too long to go, and most of the cost of the job is removing the gearbox to fit it.. seven ish hours of labour!!.

Make sure that you get the P1 clutch cover though.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 20 July 2001, 12:57 AM
ajleslie
Scooby Newbie

I was thinking of getting an AP racing clutch put in - what do you reckon? Or is the standard one good enough anyway?
Old 20 July 2001, 11:15 AM
ajleslie
Scooby Newbie

Just got my local Subaru dealer to take a look at the car today - they have verified that it's piston slap. If possible I'll record a sound file over the weekend for everyone's future reference!!

However, they have refused to do anything about my clutch judder - they said I will have to pay for a new clutch, but the labour is covered under the piston slap job. Do you think that this is unreasonable considering that it's only done 35k miles?
Old 20 July 2001, 03:51 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Ajleslie,

I haven't tried the AP clutch, but the P1 clutch is much better than either of the two warranty replacements fitted before! Both started juddering again within 1000 miles.

The P1 clutch isn't wife-proof unfortunatly - She shagged it out after 600 miles while getting a bit carried away with a traffic light GP event
Old 20 July 2001, 05:26 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ajleslie,

That sound file you will be recording of the piston slap will be very beneficial to alot of people. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,
WREXY.
Old 21 July 2001, 02:51 PM
ajleslie
Scooby Newbie

Angry

This is probably not the forum for this message, and if so I apologise in advance!

Having went to pick my car up yesterday, I proceeded to have a blazing row with the service staff at my local Subaru dealer (am I allowed to say who they are?).

The reason being: initially the dealer refused to even consider doing the clutch job under warranty, full stop!!! Their reasoning - the clutch judder is not caused by a mechanical defect because "the car goes, sir". Ha, bloody ha! I've heard some pearlers before, but that tops the lot. Having tried to argue the point with them for around ten minutes, they eventually conceded to look at the clutch when it's out during the piston slap job, and decide whether it's broken or not. Excuse me, but isn't this what a 3-year, 60,000 mile warranty is all about??

Get this too - they even want to charge me for a new flywheel!! Is this normal in a Subaru clutch job?? £213 for one part, Gawd blimey guvnor...
Old 23 July 2001, 11:59 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

AJ,

My car has only done 21K. When I put it in for it's piston slap problem, I was told the clutch was shagged on my car! Previous owner must have done 21K track miles!

Got it replaced for the cost of the clutch only. Must admit, no judder yet. They didn't mention anything to me about a new flywheel. I assumed they must have just skimmed my existing one.

Karlos
Old 23 July 2001, 01:48 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by WREXY:
Ajleslie,

That sound file you will be recording of the piston slap will be very beneficial to alot of people. Looking forward to it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep I'll be looking forward to that too. Mine's up for its 36k service next month so I'd like to have it looked over.

Steve.
Old 23 July 2001, 11:05 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Angry

AJLeslie, don't where your dealer is but my MY98 was given FOC under warranty a new clutch and flywheel when it went in for it's short block engine. I mentioned the clutch judder in passing when the car went and they called me back later on in the day to say that it was covered. My car had covered 35000 miles and was 2y 11m old, ie &lt;1 month left of the 3 year warranty.

Another word of warning, I had my 45,000 service about a month ago. If you didn't know that's the time for a new timing belt. I queried whether a new one was needed as I assumed (incorrectly) that a short engine <B>would include</B> all new belts. Mine didn't. I was very unhappy at finding that an old belt had been put onto a new block. OK if wasn't covered, then basic mechanical sense would dictate a new one was needed, I would have been happy to pay the £105+VAT for a a new belt whilst the engine was out anyway. Phone the dealer and find out if yours has been done.

Speak to customer relations at Subaru(UK) about the clutch. A contact name and number should be findable on this BBS. I got it replaced, why shouldn't you. Incidentally, mine now judders very slightly at cold, but it's taken 6months and 8000miles (some harder than others ) and is no way as bad as it was.

[This message has been edited by Miles (edited 23 July 2001).]