Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Occasional no start & lack of power at low revs

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2004, 01:59 PM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly I've still got the same problems as ever with my Sti V. It's fairly intermittent but seems to spend more of it's time feeling sick than healthy. Any ideas would be welcome. the symptoms are:-

1) Occasional no start situation - Engine turns over normally but does not catch - smell of petrol from exhaust. Prodding accelerator somtimes just about coaxes it to life. No error codes flagged in recent occurrences.

2) Lack of power and rougher than normally running at < 4000 revs - off boost performance worse than a supermini at similar revs. Exhaust sounds harder and without the deep note it has when it feels good. Turbo whistle more apparent than when healthy. Revs drop very quickly on gearchanges making smooth changes impossible without holding the throttle. Sometimes doesn't seem to want to boost and at part throttle holds zero boost while accelerating roughly. A period of time on the motorway tends to make the car feel better and on boost > 4K revs on the motorway it generally feels fine. Sometimes on an overtake say 50mph in fourth putting your foot down results in the engine stuttering and slowing instead of any acceleration. Dropping down a gear to third usually gets it to pick up it's skirts and go. Dawes AFR reads blue whenever on full throttle as it's supposed to. On occasion have had boost spikes to 1.5bar but it hasn't done that for a good while and now normally rises to about 1.2 and holds 1.1bar. Sometimes I've had a rather mental very fast wastegate (I think) cycling - you could feel and hear it under any sort of even mild acceleration. Ticker-ticker-ticker. It doesn't normally do it.

What could cause all this? Could the dump valve or boost solenoid sticking or not sealing properly affect starting? Over time I've had several MAFs, a lambda sensor, cam and crank sensors, checked the immobiliser circuits etc etc. What's left that could do this?

[Edited by Eric Chadwick - 1/21/2004 2:04:55 PM]