Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Prodrive Exhaust De-cat Options

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2001, 06:50 PM
kevin r m
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a my99 car with Prodrive performance pack which I believe takes bhp to about 240. I have been told de-catting adds about another 30 bhp. Does anyone know the best de-cat options for the Prodrive system?
Old 29 June 2001, 11:24 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi Kevin.
I am in the same way with you, and waiting the answers.
I am thinking about downpipes or exhaust manifolds .
Cheers Jim
Old 30 June 2001, 12:05 AM
kevin r m
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for tips so far folks. I love the sound of my prodrive exhaust, quiet when coming home late not wishing to bug neighbours but RAWCUS on full throttle. I just want a bit more bhp. I'll try DP first. tell me more about ITG panel filter. I have nothing done to air intake. Can't believe Prodrive didn't fiddle with this if it improves performance/flexibility. Best place to get ITG filter from? Can I DIY?
Old 30 June 2001, 08:15 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Chaps, I have a my00+ppp, except I have a straight thru scoobysport exhaust and ITG panel filter.

Not sure about 30 extra break and you're already missing the centre cat (PPP replaces with an STi centre), but the DP and panel filter/induction kit will make a big difference to both the top of the rev range and earlier turbo spool up.

I would change the PPP backbox too - when I had the scoobysport DP and CC put in, the PPP BB sounded really blowey. with the SS BB too, it's now the full orchestra

go on, change it all!!!
ps I think I am going to get an induction kit too, K&N I think.

Fosters
Old 30 June 2001, 08:17 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I had a MY99 PPP and added..

Falkland downpipe
Scorpion centre section
Scoobysport backbox
Pipercross inducion kit

This gave me a dyno'd 287bhp and 293lb/ft torque on SUL

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 30 June 2001).]
Old 30 June 2001, 08:19 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

..... AND a noise straight from hell
Old 30 June 2001, 03:58 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Hi to all.

Nice to have some "friends" in the BBS to give you advice !

I am waiting Kevin's verdict about DP, and I'll try one. About induction kits I think most important is the reliability, so K&N is good, while all the other kits based in K&N filters like GGR's, APS's, Paul's etc seems good for me too . Which is better in combination with PPP...Is there anybody that have test it?

Trending Topics

Old 30 June 2001, 09:01 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

The Scooby Sport back box should be standard on all scoobies. My mate fitted one and within a week, I just had to have one. Another mate (with a P1) had his fitted today, after hearing mine last night. The sound of it is lovely. Around town it sounds the dogs b£$%*&k when accelerating and ticking over.

On the motorway you don't even notice it, something to bear in mind if you do any motorway mileage!! I do.

I would listen to someone's car with a full de-cat exhaust before you invest in one. You'll either like it or you won't. Wife thinks it cool as well. She's out posing in it now. Even my four daughters love it, and are always keeping on about being picked up from school in it.

To be really honest I haven't noticed if it has made the car any faster...

Grin factor 11 out of 10

Cheers Phill C.
Old 30 June 2001, 09:31 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Get your ITG filter from scoobysport, £40 - I got my dealer to fit it whilst putting in the DP.

btw, the ppp isn't loud - it's a lovely noise and roars on full tilt, but it's nothing compared to a straight thru' exhaust (I can't vouch for any other system than scoobysport, but I think there are louder ones still!!!)

Old 30 June 2001, 10:50 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Kev, I had a UK00 with PPP. Wanted to reduce lag and improve breathing, so fitted SS down-pipe and de-cat centre-section, and ITG panel filter.

Big increase in noise and slight improvement to lag, but an extra 30 bhp? Now way. Maybe 5 bhp tops.

Check the dyno pages. Top right of screen.

Richard.
Old 01 July 2001, 08:56 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hoppy:
<B>Kev, I had a UK00 with PPP. Wanted to reduce lag and improve breathing, so fitted SS down-pipe and de-cat centre-section, and ITG panel filter.

Big increase in noise and slight improvement to lag, but an extra 30 bhp? Now way. Maybe 5 bhp tops.

Check the dyno pages. Top right of screen.

Richard.[/quote]

You did VERY poorly if you only got 5bhp Most people with just a d/p added to a MY99/00 PPP got between 15 and 30 bhp more than the 'standard 240' the PPP is supposed to kick out. See my figures above although mine gave 247hp with just the PPP.
Old 01 July 2001, 06:03 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Lag on an my00???
Nahhhhhhhh And i believe that the my99/00 ppp is 250bhp and 250lbs of torque on sul
but dont get lag on mine its great!!!

Tony
Old 01 July 2001, 10:07 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Has anybody had overboost or detonation problems with DP and PPP fitted together in a My2000?
I heard it before some days but is true or rumour?
Old 02 July 2001, 08:20 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JIM THEO:
<B>Has anybody had overboost or detonation problems with DP and PPP fitted together in a My2000?
I heard it before some days but is true or rumour? [/quote]

No, none, never (MY99 but mechanically identical to the MY00). Used SUL so that will have helped with the det. Have come across the odd person who suspected they were getting over boost, but similar effects can be had by over-filling oil or a dirty wastegate. Fitting better 'breathing' will help.

Have always put it down to 'official' propoganda
Old 02 July 2001, 04:06 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Thanks GaryC .

Jim Theo
Old 02 July 2001, 04:23 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JIM THEO:
<B>Has anybody had overboost or detonation problems with DP and PPP fitted together in a My2000?[/quote]

Gary,

How are you monitoring overboost and detonation?

Jim,

I was running a Scoobysport Downpipe, Scoobysport Backbox, Magnex centre (with resonator), Unifilter RamPod Inductor, MRT cold feed pipe and a PPP on a MY99 UK car.

After fitting at ScoobySport, Steve Lawson and I took the car for a run. It was a cold (about 8 celcius) and wet day, and it registered 18.1psi peak boost, and was holding about 17.5psi. These readings were from a select monitor rather than a boost gauge.

I believe the car has gone to about 18.5 psi on a colder day. Not good which ever way you look at it.

Since then I've added a HKS EVC4 electronic boost controller, with the maximum boost set to 1.18bar (about 17.1psi) I overboosted once with this setup, as I was driving on a near zero celius morning. It hit about 1.25bar (about 18.1psi), but the fuzzy logic bits took over, and controlled it.

This was the same morning of going down to Power Engineering and measuring 280bhp/252lbft.

About a month ago I fitted a KnockLink as well, just to make sure everything was alright. Normal driving no lights were lit, but one cold-ish morning, on a high rev gear change up, it lit both the amber lights. This has only happened once, but enough to be careful about how you monitor your car with these modifications.

Just because one car is fine with these modifications, it doesn't mean they all will be!

I've since removed the PPP, and I'm using the standard ECU again, but I don't think there is any loss in power. KnockLink is still in place, and octane booster is being used just in case.

Andy
Old 02 July 2001, 06:17 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Andy Tang:
<B> Gary,

How are you monitoring overboost and detonation?

[/quote]

Nothing more scientific than the seat of my pants and the keeness of my hearing
Old 02 July 2001, 07:39 PM
chris p1
Scooby Regular

Can this over boost problem effect the p1 as well, i have just fitted the scoobysport system and i really don't won't to blow up my car.Also how does this effect the warranty if it does go bang.

Thanks Chris.
Old 02 July 2001, 10:02 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Andy
Useful your opinion, I don't have a boost controller, knocklink sensor or even a boost gauge in my car! I'm going to buy a knocklink ASAP (where from and how much, anybody knows?) because our fuel quality (SUL98) isn't good enough.
I heard that ECU from PPP is more sensible than the original to different situations (fuel quality, air mass etc), thus controls better the data send from the external sensors...

Chris P1
I believe you will not have problem with your car, but if, I say if, just replace the SS DP with the original one, and go to your dealer. So simple!!!
Old 03 July 2001, 12:35 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

ChrisP1,

funny you should mention this. I have spent the last few weeks going through the different exhaust opyions to fit to my P1, and was more or less convinced by the Scoobysport system until I had a long chat with Mike Wood at Prodrive.

Mike warned me that the P1 even in standard form is susceptible to detting very slightly, so fitting a freer flowing downpipe is only likely to increase this potential. He also warned me that if the engine were to 'blow' as a result of fitting any aftermarket products, then you would not be covered under warranty.

Despite these warnings, I am still likely to take the plunge and go for the full system anyway. I'll just make sure I run it on octane booster and SUL to be sure. A Knocklink sensor is also a good idea too.

Don't worry too much mate, just be aware of the official Subaru stance on the matter.

Have fun,

MS.