Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

fiited K&n Great..What next??

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2001, 10:33 AM
madhatter
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I fitted my K&N 57I kit yesterday took 2 hours.Sounds great,better response etc.
But the big question is what next I have a standard WRX 95 model,Only K&N fitted,I am not after a big bore tail pipe just better performance and a nice grunty sound...,Perhaps replace downpipe with decatted I am a complete novice so have no idea as to the benefits this would give..?
Old 23 June 2001, 11:28 AM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Sort your exhaust is a must.....you don't need to go Super Dragger loud to benefit from a performance gain.I think you should upgrade your centre section and rear section before you go changing the downpipe

Lots of people here rate the Scoobysport box, I don't think that is too loud. Don't think the Magnex is obtrusive either. I've got a custom Janspeed jobby.....not obtrusive at all but makes this gorgeous burble at low revs, and not silly loud at high revs.

It all depends what you really want from the car. If performance is your first priority, in my opinion the best value for money modification is a trip to Powerstation in Cheltenham for the Bumpsteer mod and some fast road/track geometry settings.... It is amazing what a difference to the drivability of you car that makes.

Ahhhh ...thinking about it, if you have a 95wrx you'll have the two-pot brakes????(correct me if I'm wrong) If that's the case, I think upgrading to 4-pots is a must. You can alays pick them up pretty cheap on this bbs.

Old 25 June 2001, 12:54 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

I have a MY95 WRX and found a big improvement when I fitted a full decat exhaust. It is a Super Drager and isn't that loud. I am told that I would get another big improvement by fitting a twin dump downpipe, which may be next on my list.

The change to four pot brakes is worthwhile, but if you have the original wheels on then you will have to change them at the same time.

Ken
Old 25 June 2001, 01:17 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

I have a MY95 WRX and found a big improvement when I fitted a full decat exhaust. It is a Super Drager and isn't that loud. I am told that I would get another big improvement by fitting a twin dump downpipe, which may be next on my list.

The change to four pot brakes is worthwhile, but if you have the original wheels on then you will have to change them at the same time.

Ken
Old 25 June 2001, 09:25 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

Wink

Madhatter
If you don't want loudness, then dowpipe is definately a good bet. It made a hell of a difference to the turbo pick up at low revs. The centre pipe and back box are a lot easier to fit though.
Old 26 June 2001, 04:09 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

Agree with all comments above.

Depends on your budget, but the PS bumpsteer removal I found the best mod per bucks, bar the essentail brake upgrade!!! If you can't afford 4pots and new wheels then the next best option IMO is to go for Pagid discs and FR/blue pads. I did and I think they are excellent for the road. Get braided lines whilst your at it.

Exhaust wise it seems by reading your post that you don't wish to alter the looks of your car. If this is the case get the downpipe, it will increase performance and noise, but with the std Backbox it won't be TOO noisy. If you do get the DP you will decat the car since your centre section only has a silencer. If you keep the centre section and backbox, I'd advise you get a DP that tapers down to a 2.5 (or is it 2.6?) bore i.e. match the OE system. The Scoobysport DP does this and is a very popular choice. There are other pipes available, I have the Scoobymania full system on my 95WRX which personally I think is rather quiet compared to others. If you have'nt already, do a search on this subject - its been discussed a fair few times

I'd wager that within a year you'll have a full system though 3 months if you attend a few meets

hope this helps

Justin
Old 26 June 2001, 04:40 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

If you don't want to alter the look, TSL (http://www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk) do a twin exit back box, as do others...
Old 26 June 2001, 09:06 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Can't really add much to what has already been said, except to say that a decent exhaust will make a big difference to a turbo car. Of the three components, the downpipe wil make the biggest improvement. Expect much better torque and a small increase in bhp. Add a centre and backbox and you will find a noticable improvement.

I've run Magenx and Scoobysport backboxes and I must say I prefer the SS one - bit louder, but a nicer sound. Brakes are the next thing - Justin's suggestion of Pagid discs and pads is a good improvement. I run that on my car (UK MY00) and my dealer was commenting on them yesterday, saying how good they were. He was convinced I was running braided hoses and upgraded brake fluid aswell, which I haven't done yet.

Justin - you want to hear my car now

Cheers
Chris
Old 27 June 2001, 08:35 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I can vouch for hearing Chris' car... Sitting side by side, my car sounded distinctly camp.

Downpipe - must be done.
Old 27 June 2001, 10:33 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Cool

Chris - likewise!! mine might not be as noisy but the burble is so deep, man

Madhatter, be warned - Chris is the guy who said to me (about a year ago) "I might treat myself to a Backbox but thats all...." I rest my case

Justin
Old 27 June 2001, 10:55 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The very same chris that said, "I'm not a boy racer" and is now considering a dump to atmos. dump valve

Give in, admit it: you're a boy racer.