Overboost help.

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2001, 09:03 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi,

Whilst driving along the M4 from Swansea to Hampshire this afternoon, the person in the lane next to me got cut up by a truck, to allow them space I put my foot down to accelerate from 80 --> 90ish. Unfortunately at about 85 (in fifth) my car felt like the engine had cut, it felt like a very severe case of rev limiter.

I'm assuming that it's overboost. This has never happened before, I have a 5 door MY98 that has been running SUL since January. Last week I had a Magnex backbox fitted to compliment the centre pipe.

I also added 1 litre of oil last Sunday. On checking the oil level (that was a bit under halfway between the notch and the top) it now appear to be at the top.

The car is in for a service in three weeks, it has about 1,000 miles to do in that time. Should I get it checked or is this a panic about nothing?

Laurence
Old 18 June 2001, 12:57 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laurence

Check your oil level. If it is on the mark or above then it could be causing your problem. Too much oil causes the wastegate solenoid to get a bit oiled up and can make the car run rough. If it is that then you will need to clean it out using brake cleaner and lose some of the excess oil. I have had these problems with my car and now run with the oil level in between the upper and lower levels with no problems. When you get it back from service make sure the oil level is not too high, otherwise it will happen again.

Ken