Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

what next?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2004, 10:17 PM
TURISMOCHRIS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

i've a 94wrx classic,full decat,hks fmic,k&n induction kit.like to make 330bhp,but how?havent touched the ecu yet which i guess is standard,do occasionaly suffer from overboost which i'd prefer to lose,thanks for your time,chris
Old 15 January 2004, 11:43 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

gonna need a lot more work for 330bhp m8. 94wrx is 240ps IIRC which is on 100 ron fuel so to start with your car with 97/98 ron is only going to be making 225-230ps (about the same in bhp terms but not quite).

just noticed you have an HKS FMIC. i wouldn't like to think that you have a standard ECU if someone has spent the time butchering the front bumper to stick in an HKS FMIC then they will have done other mods as well. have the injectors been uprated, the 370cc ones on the MY94 run outta duty cycle at around 285 - 300 bhp. if your car is over boosting, do you have the necessary monitoring kit, i.e. knocklink, lamba/afr meter, boost gauge.

The td05 turbo while bigger than the td04 fitted in later models again runs out of puff around the 300 mark unless it has been converted to a front entry hybrid.(which might be the case if you have a PACE FMIC).

You might also want to consider changing the inlet manifolds as well. getting them gas flowed help a little bit. is your exhaust a full 3inch job from front to back (some start at 3" but then taper to 2" at the mid section, going down to maybe 1.5" where it meets the back box).again this hinders performance.

there are alot more knowledgable people on here who can give you even better advice.

cheers

big sinky
Old 16 January 2004, 09:03 AM
TURISMOCHRIS
Scooby Regular

Cool

Big sinky,thanks for your time and effort in answering my question,i imported it 3 years ago from standard,i fixed the fmic with a friend and was hoping for a fairly cheap(£1000)way to produce a little more power,the exhaust is a full 3"through by the way,thanks again for your advice,chris
Old 16 January 2004, 09:08 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Link ECU.. or Motec..

JGM
Old 16 January 2004, 09:20 AM
TURISMOCHRIS
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks J.G.M
Old 16 January 2004, 09:31 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really you want an uprated fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator.. a set of 550 injectors, induction kit, decat exhaust, fmic and then a Link or Motec.. sounds like you have some of the above but not all.

I have that set up on my UK 96 Wagon, and it is being mapped properly later this month after I have been playing at mapping it myself for the last few weeks.

JGM
Old 16 January 2004, 10:17 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

If 330bhp is your aim the turbo is more than fine as it is.

I know many people including myself who have made well over 330 on standard 90 degree TD05s.

As for injectors. You don't NEED to change them providing you run raised fuel pressure with a decent pump, unless you plan on doing 150mph everywhere all the time.

The standard ECU is capable of taking you to 330 with bolt on boost controller etc but you will HAVE to monitor the car carefully, so boost gauge, knocklink, AFR meter, EGT are all wise moves.

If you want more info, drop me a mail

Rich

Old 16 January 2004, 10:27 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Depending on how far you want to go, the OE ECU can be remapped - see the ad in Scoobyshop here

There's scope without spending big money. But get all the right monitoring equipment installed first!
Old 16 January 2004, 10:57 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

A ScoobyECU would be my preferred approach up to 1.5 bar (and the cheapest), but I think you'd need to change your MAP sensor.
Old 16 January 2004, 11:08 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Yes - you need the MAP sensor from a MY97 or newer.
Old 16 January 2004, 02:53 PM
TURISMOCHRIS
Scooby Regular

Cool

Big thanks to Rich wild,dnb and jlanng for your constructive and helpful advice,cheers chris