Droning Noise From Rear Of Car

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2001, 03:54 PM
ScoobyDan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Guys (and Galls),

I have owned my UK '97 Impreza Sport for the last 4 months, and in the last week or so I have noticed a 'droning' noise coming from the rear of the car. The noise changes note as the speed of the car increases or decreases, so I assume it is to do with the rear diff or axle. The noise also appears to get louder when there is more than one person in the car.

Anyone got any bright ideas what it could be? I'm not a mechanically-minded person, so I would have to pass it over to a garage if any rummaging within the internals is required!

The car is due for a service at the end of July. Do you think I should wait until then, and allow the garage to look at it?

Thanks in advance for your help

Daniel
Old 02 June 2001, 06:14 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

Dan,

Thats a coincidence... I was about to post the same question. I also have a droning from the rear that started about a month ago and seems to be getting worse.

I am hoping that its only a wheel bearing and not the diff.

Does anyone know if there is a test that will determine if it is the wheel bearing and which side?

Also has anyone replaced a wheel bearing themselves and are any special tools needed?

Sorry to hijack your thread Dan

Cheers
Denis
Old 02 June 2001, 08:24 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

almost certainly a rear wheel bearing done absolutly loads of them it seems that the driveshaft corrodes where a seal sits so it lets in all the muck from the road.easy to do but you will need a press no special tools needed except for a good pair of circlip pliers. subaru did come up for a cure to the corodded driveshaft which to save buying a new one you fit a speedy sleeve over the corroded part and it gives the seal a new surface to sit on and it works never had to do one a second time when it has had a sleeve.
Old 02 June 2001, 11:24 PM
ScoobyDan
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies Stratman and Scoobyboy.

I have also noticed a 'squeak' coming from the rear of the car when I test the Scooby's high-speed cornering ability Could this be related? It does sound like the bearing (wishfull thinking).

If I did ask the garage to do the work, how much is it likely to dent my (non-existant) bank balance?

Thanks again

Daniel
Old 03 June 2001, 12:59 AM
rovo
Scooby Regular

If it is a wheel bearing you will notice an increase in the noise in a right or left hand turn, depending which bearing is causing the trouble. I had it with one of my earlier cars (VW Passat station) and you can definitely tell when the noise increases in a corner.
Old 03 June 2001, 01:11 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I used to get a loud drone from the rear, but now the wife sits in the front! The drone hasn`t gone it just comes from a different place! Does the noise change on the overrun? If it does it is probobly final drive related (bearing or gear mesh) Check out the prop shaft universal joints to. I f the noise changes when you corner it points to the wheel bearings or differential bevel gears. Split prop shaft centre bearings can also produce this symptom.
JohnD
Old 03 June 2001, 08:10 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

Thank for the tips guys

I will try putting the dragon in the front seat like you suggest JohnD.

The noise does not change in pitch or volume on over-run or when free-wheeling and it seems to increase when cornering so it looks like a bearing.

Denis

[This message has been edited by stratman (edited 03 June 2001).]
Old 04 June 2001, 01:32 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ScoobyDan:
<B>Hi Guys (and Galls),

I have noticed a 'droning' noise coming from the rear of the car. The noise also appears to get louder when there is more than one person in the car.

Thanks in advance for your help

Daniel[/quote]

Easy,

Just make the b1tch sit in the front and tell her to shut up when your driving!!! Works for me

Jza
Old 04 June 2001, 05:45 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scoobyboy,

You mention that you need a press to fit a new bearing. Is it possible to just knock them home slowley using an aluminium or Brass drift.

Thats the method I've alwyas used to knock the bearing shells in on previous cars and was just wondering if the same could be adopted on the Scoob should I ever need to change one.

Cheers....
Old 04 June 2001, 07:00 PM
ScoobyDan
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

I took my Scoob to the local dealer today. They confirmed that the nearside rear bearing is shot. They guestimated that to fit a new one would be about £200!

Now, I know Scoobies are notoriously expensive for servicing, but this seams a bit ridiculous! Is this an accurate guess, or should I be looking elsewhere for my servicing?

Cheers again,

Daniel
Old 04 June 2001, 08:13 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

you can do but the bearings are ball race and it comes as a sealed unit so i'm not sure what it would do to it to have seven bales of **** hit out of it. you will also need to knock the hub out of the centre of the bearingwhich will leave a race on the hub which then needs to be removed with either careful grinding or a puller. and then of course the whole thing needs to be pressed back together so you will need a lot of stamina and be very careful with the hammer!

hope this helps!!!
Old 05 June 2001, 11:45 AM
rovo
Scooby Regular

9 out of 10 times a bearing is a standard bearing available from the SKF or *** catalog or others. If your local dealer really wants to help you, make sure he checks this before using a Subaru part that is 4 or 5 times as expensive.
Old 05 June 2001, 10:21 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

a dealer should only use a genuine part unless supplied by the customer. i very much doubt you would find a dealer that will scource a non genuine part when they have access to genuine ones we woulden't and you would not get the warranty from subaru if that part failed. so weigh up the price of a cheaper bearing with no warranty to a slightly more expensive one with a 3 yr parts warranty
Old 06 June 2001, 12:24 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

Be careful with getting generic bearings ...

I did a while back for another car..

The one I removed from the car was fully stamped up, everything... great I thought... off to BSL... bought the replacement bearing.. same part number..everything..

Got back... tried to fit it... and then noticed that the inner race have a chamfer on the original.. and the new one didnt.

It appears that the OEM one was specially made.. but based on the generic one..

I had to buy one from the dealer.

This might not be the case for subies.. I have always got original items.

If you want a bearing getting (with new seals and clips) let me know.. mail me with MY of car.

As for removal and fitment... you wont be able to knock them in.. they'll suffer too much damn.

They should be pressed in, using the proper tool (which fits onto the outer edge). I know someone once use a big socket..but not ideal.

There are tight *** things to fit.

If you are also doing track days.. I would suggest fitting some higher temp grease.. and possibly bonding the bearings in.

J.

Old 06 June 2001, 11:58 AM
rovo
Scooby Regular

The bearings are exactly the same, only without the price going up 3 or 4 times because the same bearings are delivered through Subaru. I would never use a lesser quality bearing. Sometimes it is worthwhile to check this.
Old 06 June 2001, 08:12 PM
ScoobyDan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The noise has got a lot worse over the last few days (or my hearing has got more tuned to it!), so I have bitten the bullet and the garage are doing the work on Friday. The breakdown of the 'guess' is as follows:

Bearing: £105
Labour: £80

So, £185 plus VAT per side - I think I'll just do the one side for now! I'm also getting some of the headlight protectors fitted, as I don't fancy the expense for a light cluster...

Thanks again

Daniel